Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-13-2005, 12:55 PM   #1
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

PING: Atlanta Talk Radio Listeners

Anybody know anything about this?
Quote:
Did a fill-in host trying out at CLEAR CHANNEL Talk WGST-A/ATLANTA walk off the show after a few minutes? Veteran local talker DAVID PAUL reportedly abruptly bolted from the mic without explanation after three minutes of SATURDAY night's show (6/11); PAUL was one of several hosts up for the job of filling the 9a-Noon slot left vacant after the REGULAR GUYS were moved back to mornings at sister Rock WKLS (96 ROCK). On MONDAY's 96 ROCK show, the GUYS- LARRY WACHS and ERIC VON HAESSLER- vowed to find and air the audio of "the DAVID PAUL crackup," which they said was floating around the station but was being kept off-limits by WGST PD BRUCE COLLINS.
Gah. I've had bad shows and shows I wanted to start over, but I can't imagine what it would take to get me to leave the show when it's on the air.

CamEdwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 12:59 PM   #2
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

A bad case of the runs?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 12:59 PM   #3
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

A really annoying co-host?
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 01:03 PM   #4
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

You'd have to know David Paul to really get a feel for this one. He was an odd sort of underground icon back in his original stint on WSB years ago, a raving oddball in a likable sort of way.

Fast forward to today, a very different David Paul had quietly gotten some notice after undergoing some unexpected changes in his life, among them a conversion to Christianity.

Given his history though, I smell a stunt of some sort in all of this -- anything ranging from the crackup being a stunt to the Christianity being a stunt to almost anything else you can think of.

I really thought the guy had talent a long time ago, but then or now, there's really nothing I could or would put past him.

He's been a regular topic for weeks now on the Atlanta board at www.radio-info.com , you could read more speculation about him than you'd ever want if you care to take a look.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:09 PM   #5
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
You'd have to know David Paul to really get a feel for this one. He was an odd sort of underground icon back in his original stint on WSB years ago, a raving oddball in a likable sort of way.

I knew I recognized the name. Thanks for jogging my memory.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 01:11 PM   #6
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

And I probably ought to find a word other than "likable", although that's how I felt about him. He was actually the most death-threatened talk host I can ever recall in Atlanta.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:18 PM   #7
Buzzbee
College Starter

This is outside of my radio listening scope. I don't listen to WGST, despise the regular guys, and usually don't listen to the radio other than drive time. The name doesn't even ring a bell. Perhaps the Cam Edwards Show should make a push to fill the vacant slot. I know a few people around the A-T-L that would probably listen. I mean hey, CamAir is better than DeadAir. Right?
Old 06-13-2005, 01:29 PM   #8
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzbee
This is outside of my radio listening scope. I don't listen to WGST, despise the regular guys, and usually don't listen to the radio other than drive time. The name doesn't even ring a bell. Perhaps the Cam Edwards Show should make a push to fill the vacant slot. I know a few people around the A-T-L that would probably listen. I mean hey, CamAir is better than DeadAir. Right?

Actually, Bruce Collins (the PD at GST) was my old boss in Oklahoma City. But from what I understand it's not something that would be financially viable for me at the moment.

Unless of course all the Atlanta folks on the board started a write-in campaign. Maybe the salary situation would look a little better if they thought there was a high demand for my services.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:04 PM   #9
Buzzbee
College Starter

Hey Cam, here's a rough draft of my letter to Mr. Collins. Let me know what you think.

Dear Mr. Collins,
I am writing to you on behalf of Cam Edwards, who I believe is one of your former employees. I am aware that Mr. Edwards is currently in the Washington D.C. area, but feel it would be worthwhile for you to pursue bringing him to the Atlanta radio market.

It is my understanding that the biggest obstacle is reaching an agreement on the value of Mr. Edwards' services. While I'm sure that Mr. Edwards is handsomely paid in his current position, and the goal of WGST is to run a profitable station, I believe there is an area where both parties can achieve their long term goals.

I'm sure the cost of living in Atlanta, when compared to D.C., is quite reasonable and could be a very powerful bargaining chip in bringing Mr. Edwards to the Atlanta area. Likewise there are other factors that could form a very persuasive argument in luring Mr. Edwards to our fine city such as the beautiful weather, the close proximity to a wide variety of activities, and the fact that women here dress scantily for a much longer period than in the much colder northern climes.

Of course there have to be incentives for the radio station as well. I can think of several. First of all, you currently have a vacant slot to fill due to the departure of 'the regular guys'. Mr. Edwards would fit nicely in this spot. Next, it would be beneficial to employ someone who is familiar with your personality. As a former employee of yours, Mr. Edwards certainly fits the bill. Lastly, the radio station needs someone who will stand out from the crowd. WGST needs someone who will attract listeners and bring in revenue. Mr. Edwards beliefs certainly fit this bill. Atlanta needs a radio host who is proud of his heterosexuality. Atlanta needs a radio host who believes that gays should be shoved back in the closet, that Jews belong in Israel, that Mexicans should be shot on sight when they try to cross the border. Atlanta needs a voice to proclaim that Hitler was right, that niggers are lazy and inferior, that Injuns belong on the reservation, and that Bill Clinton was a pole smokin' Russia lover. We need Cam Edwards as our voice.

Sincerly,
Stupid Atlanta Radio Listener
Old 06-13-2005, 02:05 PM   #10
Buzzbee
College Starter

Dola - for those who don't figure it out:

Tongue planted firmly in cheek.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:58 PM   #11
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

LOL! As long as you don't bring up money, I think it might work
Old 06-14-2005, 08:50 AM   #12
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Sounds like Atlanta's version of Mark Scott.
Bubba Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 09:07 AM   #13
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Wigging out on air doesn't seem that uncommon any more. Any of you familiar with Johnny Renshaw? He was syndicated on One On One Sports (now Sporting News Radio, I believe) and was pretty popular before he burned out and the show went to hell. He developed a pattern for that.

He was extremely popular here locally until his affiliate dumped the show for Jim Rome. A few years later when Jason Whitlock left the station's AM show for another station, they brought in Renshaw to be their morning guy. He was an instant ratings hit, although you could hear the strain in him as he struggled to party and do a morning show. Rumors of alcohol and/or drug abuse were rampant.

One morning, he just flipped out on air. He started ranting and raving, cursing the station's management and acting incoherent. They had to shut down the studio and remove him from the booth. He apparently went into rehab and eventually finished out his contract hosting late night shows when there wasn't a game on. Don't know where he is now.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 09:14 AM   #14
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19
Any of you familiar with Johnny Renshaw? He was syndicated on One On One Sports (now Sporting News Radio, I believe) and was pretty popular before he burned out and the show went to hell.

I remember Renshaw, used to listen to him on OoO quite a bit. Didn't know all the other stuff though, hate to hear about that.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:44 AM   #15
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards
Anybody know anything about this?

Gah. I've had bad shows and shows I wanted to start over, but I can't imagine what it would take to get me to leave the show when it's on the air.

Your wife having triplets?
Old 06-14-2005, 03:57 PM   #16
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

It's been reported that David Paul starts Wednesday, 9-12noon in Albuquerque.

borrowed that from another board