Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-08-2005, 12:37 PM   #1
Galaxy
Coordinator

US-Panama-World Cup Q.

A late game tonight/tomarrow morning (1 am eastern). Anyone else going to watch?

Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 12:41 PM   #2
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Who's going to be broadcasting it?

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 12:44 PM   #3
Desnudo
Coordinator

ESPN2, it's on tape delay.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 12:51 PM   #4
KevinNU7
College Starter

game is actually at 9:30pm but ESPN2 blows

Edit: beat me to it
Old 06-08-2005, 03:18 PM   #5
Galaxy
Coordinator

Why is ESPN2 not playing it live? I don't understand the logic. Really think a regular season game between Arizona-Minnesota would get higher ratings and more interest?
Old 06-08-2005, 03:21 PM   #6
KevinNU7
College Starter

They might be contractually obligated to televise the game as part of their MLB package. At the same time they are obligated to televise the woman's softball station. I'm disappointed that they didn't move the game to ABC
Old 06-08-2005, 03:25 PM   #7
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNU7
They might be contractually obligated to televise the game as part of their MLB package. At the same time they are obligated to televise the woman's softball station. I'm disappointed that they didn't move the game to ABC

True, but ESPN2 has the double header in baseball at 7 and 10. ESPN's WS of the College Softball starts at 7:30. How long does a softball game last?
Old 06-08-2005, 03:27 PM   #8
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

I'm way out of touch, what's our status as far Cup Qualification? Are we basically in, need a win bad, what's the deal (generally)?
MalcPow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 03:31 PM   #9
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy
Why is ESPN2 not playing it live? I don't understand the logic. Really think a regular season game between Arizona-Minnesota would get higher ratings and more interest?

Probably. Screw that... I'm sure the baseball game would get higher ratings. People just don't care about soccer in this country.
Old 06-08-2005, 03:33 PM   #10
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

Quote:
True, but ESPN2 has the double header in baseball at 7 and 10. ESPN's WS of the College Softball starts at 7:30. How long does a softball game last?

There were a couple of 4 hour softball games the other night between Arizona and Texas, but usually they are around 2- 2 1/2 hours long
LoneStarGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 03:35 PM   #11
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcPow
I'm way out of touch, what's our status as far Cup Qualification? Are we basically in, need a win bad, what's the deal (generally)?

We are currently in second place, a point behind Mexico. We are expected to beat Panama, even on the road. This is the last game of the first round of the hex.
Old 06-08-2005, 03:44 PM   #12
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
Probably. Screw that... I'm sure the baseball game would get higher ratings. People just don't care about soccer in this country.

I always though the US did well in ratings. Soccer interest is slowly rising.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:00 PM   #13
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNU7
Let's be realistic... I don't think there's any way that a World Cup qualifier against Panama would get enough of an audience to justify prime time on ABC.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 04:01 PM   #14
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcPow
We're in great shape, barring a collapse of epic proportions.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Old 06-08-2005, 04:07 PM   #15
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wednesday
We're in great shape, barring a collapse of epic proportions.

Sounds that way, just read the article on soccernet. Thanks, to GE too, for the update.
MalcPow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 05:04 PM   #16
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

so the game is being tape-delayed at 9:30pm tomorrow or tonight? either way i'll be watching
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 05:06 PM   #17
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

i thought the game was on at midnight, central time tonight?
LoneStarGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 05:09 PM   #18
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

midnight central time? you're killin me...i have to work at the crack of dawn!

1 more post till 1,000...yayyyy

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 06-08-2005 at 05:14 PM.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:14 PM   #19
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

1am EST / 12am CST on ESPN2 tonight
Old 06-08-2005, 09:32 PM   #20
weinstein7
High School JV

It's also on Telemundo at 11:30 EST.

The match actually started an hour ago, and is currently at halftime. I'm checking it out on the ussoccer.com java applet.

edited to remove details. Sorry if I spoiled it for anyone.

Last edited by weinstein7 : 06-08-2005 at 09:44 PM.
weinstein7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 09:39 PM   #21
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by weinstein7
It's also on Telemundo at 11:30 EST.

The match actually started an hour ago, and is currently at halftime. I'm checking it out on the ussoccer.com java applet. I won't get into details, but let's just say there's nothing to worry about.

Please do not say anything at all. That last thing alone kinda gives a small clue. I don't get the Telemundo, as alot of people here don't, and am not checking anything online, so I want to watch the game.

However, does Panama have any stars?

Last edited by Galaxy : 06-08-2005 at 09:41 PM.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:45 PM   #22
weinstein7
High School JV

Quote:
Please do not say anything at all. That last thing alone kinda gives a small clue. I don't get the Telemundo, as alot of people here don't, and am not checking anything online, so I want to watch the game.

However, does Panama have any stars?

Sorry about the spoiler, I just thought that some people might want a tip on whether its worth staying up for.

And I couldn't tell you about the players on Panama, I just checked in for a score, and then the applet crashed anyway.
weinstein7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 12:21 AM   #23
Galaxy
Coordinator

Anyone watching the game?

Panama's field and conditions look terrible.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:39 AM   #24
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

I'm watching...and forgive me but I have not watched a lot of the recent USA qualifiers. I know we're on the road and we've struggled at times in Panama...but are we not clearly the better team and why are they getting a lot of good looks in the first half? It just seems like our D is way too porous at the moment.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:45 AM   #25
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVick7
I'm watching...and forgive me but I have not watched a lot of the recent USA qualifiers. I know we're on the road and we've struggled at times in Panama...but are we not clearly the better team and why are they getting a lot of good looks in the first half? It just seems like our D is way too porous at the moment.

Seems like the US switched to a defensive style formation, with a 2-0 lead, they seem focus on preventing goals more so then trying to get them (not that they aren't but, they aren't as aggressive). This wears Panama more.

US just put in another.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:56 AM   #26
Desnudo
Coordinator

Thoughts at halftime:

The ref is awful. I've seen this guy before, he might have been the ref in the US' loss in Mexico City. Calls non-fouls, doesn't call hand balls, just horrible. Panama falls over, the whistle blows. How that wasn't a yellow card when Beasley got hacked down is beyond me. But this guy is horrible.

The US has been good and lucky. Keller had an amazing sequence, just awesome to watch. I love watching Beasley work. He's such a big difference to the team; never takes a break.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:13 AM   #27
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

That was a stupid play to earn the yellow card.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 01:30 AM   #28
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo
Thoughts at halftime:

The ref is awful. I've seen this guy before, he might have been the ref in the US' loss in Mexico City. Calls non-fouls, doesn't call hand balls, just horrible. Panama falls over, the whistle blows. How that wasn't a yellow card when Beasley got hacked down is beyond me. But this guy is horrible.

The US has been good and lucky. Keller had an amazing sequence, just awesome to watch. I love watching Beasley work. He's such a big difference to the team; never takes a break.

Agree with you. Keller is just amazing these two matches. Beasley I think is the best US player. Playing at a top level with PSV has done wonders.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:49 AM   #29
Desnudo
Coordinator

Good lord this ref is horrible. Hands out an undeserved yellow and lets the ball be played while he's still holding the card out. He hasn't stopped one illegal free kick, ball rolling or wrong position, the whole game. It really is embarassing that someone like that could be allowed to handle a game of this magnitude. He really should be at the youth level.

But, it's good to see the US doing what they should be doing, which is beating up the lesser CONCACAF teams. Panama has a lot of work to do, they are not good.

Also, it looked like a clear penalty to me when Dempsey went down in the box, the ref was standing about five feet from the play, did anyone else catch that? They didn't show a replay, so it's hard to be sure.

Last edited by Desnudo : 06-09-2005 at 01:57 AM.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:02 AM   #30
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Good lord this ref is horrible. Hands out an undeserved yellow and lets the ball be played while he's still holding the card out. He hasn't stopped one illegal free kick, ball rolling or wrong position, the whole game. It really is embarassing that someone like that could be allowed to handle a game of this magnitude. He really should be at the youth level.

But, it's good to see the US doing what they should be doing, which is beating up the lesser CONCACAF teams. Panama has a lot of work to do, they are not good.

Also, it looked like a clear penalty to me when Dempsey went down in the box, the ref was standing about five feet from the play, did anyone else catch that? They didn't show a replay, so it's hard to be sure.

I thought that was a penalty as well. In any case, it was good to see the USA taking care of business
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 02:20 AM   #31
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
He hasn't stopped one illegal free kick, ball rolling or wrong position, the whole game.

I get pissed off when they ref makes us stop the ball on a free kick when we put back in play for the community college team I coach. The point is, unless it is a shooting situation, the ball should be allowed to be played while still moving.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:29 AM   #32
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Mauricio Navarro has a history of reffing like this in games involving the U.S. The next ballsy call the guy makes will be the first. Heck, the next call he makes where he's fixed his recto-cranial inversion will be the first.

Old 06-09-2005, 04:25 AM   #33
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle
I get pissed off when they ref makes us stop the ball on a free kick when we put back in play for the community college team I coach. The point is, unless it is a shooting situation, the ball should be allowed to be played while still moving.

The reason they make play stop is because it gives an unfair advantage to the team playing the ball. You may not like it, but it's a sensible rule, and needs to be enforced.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:52 AM   #34
Critch
lolzcat

Don't forget that the World Youth Championships start later this week and that the US is playing Argentina live on FSC at 11.30am on Saturday. Get to see the next generation of players.

If you're interested in that sort of thing. If you're not interested, then feel free to forget all about it.

Last edited by Critch : 06-09-2005 at 07:53 AM.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 08:29 AM   #35
Butter
Coordinator

I'll be watching the Youth Championships.

Also, it seems like ESPN could've moved the game to ESPN Classic, then replayed it on ESPN2 as well, for those who don't get Classic. They've been putting a lot more live stuff on Classic lately, this seemed like a natural. As it stood, there was no way I was staying up until 3 watching this match, having to get up at 6 this morning.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:49 PM   #36
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, but I think the issue is that the Classic Sports get a higher rating than World Cup Qualifying. Soccer just isn't that popular in this country.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:05 PM   #37
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
The reason they make play stop is because it gives an unfair advantage to the team playing the ball. You may not like it, but it's a sensible rule, and needs to be enforced.

No it does not. Get the ball back in play and keep the game flowing. The ball does not need to be stopped everytime. The only time a team would gain an advantage is in a shooting situation.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:08 PM   #38
Desnudo
Coordinator

No, a team gains advantage because the other team is disorganized. It's a pretty standard rule.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:08 PM   #39
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle
No it does not. Get the ball back in play and keep the game flowing. The ball does not need to be stopped everytime. The only time a team would gain an advantage is in a shooting situation.

If the referee is explaining a call it makes a difference.

Likewise, if the ball occurs near the right touchline, and play is resumed at the center circle, even though they're equally near to the goal, it's a definite advantage to play it from the center.

Just tell your players to at least PRETEND to stop the ball before playing it -- generally it will indicate some respect.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:36 PM   #40
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
No, a team gains advantage because the other team is disorganized. It's a pretty standard rule.
Huh? They committed the foul, if they're disorganized then it's their own fault. Quick restarts certainly are not disallowed, it's only required that the ball be stopped when it's put back into play.

Old 06-09-2005, 04:17 PM   #41
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wednesday
Huh? They committed the foul, if they're disorganized then it's their own fault. Quick restarts certainly are not disallowed, it's only required that the ball be stopped when it's put back into play.

I was replying to GE's statement about it only being a problem in the attacking area, when it can cause problems anywhere on the pitch. Anyway, it's a rule, it needs to be enforced, and the ref in the Pananama game did a horrible job of enforcing it, among the many other rules he screwed up.

Last edited by Desnudo : 06-09-2005 at 04:18 PM.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:52 PM   #42
robbgmaier
College Prospect

folks, who cares whether or not he lets them restart with a moving a ball, when he has his red card shoved so far up his ass he can't pull it out and show it to the panama player that could of wrecked the carrer of whichever US player almost got creamed in the corner with the game well over in the 90th minute or so. I'm so so so so SOOO sick of players no longer having to fear the straight red for bullshit like that.
robbgmaier is offline   Reply With Quote