Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-09-2005, 01:04 PM   #1
bob
College Starter

Gap Year

The latest Men's Journal has an article about taking a year off - just wondering if any one around here has every done that?

If so, what did you do, where did you go, how hard was it to get back to "normal" once you went back to college or the job?

bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 02:29 PM   #2
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

I got laid off, collected a severence and then went on unemployment for the full 6 months I was eligible. In fact, I collected right up until the last day I was eligible before beginning my new job.

It was great at first, but then the severence money ran out and unemployment was less than enough to really enjoy myself and I started to get bored. The last month or two was pretty much job hunting. It was nice in that I had time to turn down a couple of jobs I didn't really care for and wait until I found one I would like.

I stayed up late, often times all night, only to be able to cook breakfast for my wife who was getting up and going to work while I was getting ready to go shoot 9 holes of golf before bed . She was pretty pissed off at first, but then realized i was still getting paid and it was pretty much a once in a lifetime thing for me. If I had the money in the bank, I could have made it much more enjoyable with travelling etc... but I didn't so it was not all that exciting. Still better than working though.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 02:46 PM   #3
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

First, I think the thread title needs to be changed. Not sure how I ended up getting past that dungeon gate.

Secondly, my goal in life is not a gap year, but a gap lifetime. I am looking for a sugar momma, albeit one within 15 years of my age. I am learning to cook, clean the house, and to go downtown without any hesitation. Tell your ladyfriends and their ladyfriends k thx
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 02:57 PM   #4
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I didn't see the article so I'm not sure exactly what definition they used (or what definition I should use or whatever), which means I'm not sure whether about 18 months spent as a stay-at-home-parent counts or not.

FWIW, from that, to be honest I don't believe I could ever have returned to a "normal" work environment again. Even though I don't hesitate to say that those 18 months were the hardest I've ever worked in my life, the quality of the people (okay, one very small person) I dealt with was so much better that I'd have likely ended up going postal dealing with a parade of idiots all day every day. Luckily, we started our own company (which is what ended the SAH daddy era) and that at least brings some measure of control over the irritations.

I'd liken the office (or school) routine to hitting yourself in the head with a hammer -- you really can't appreciate how good not doing it feels until you stop.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:11 PM   #5
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
First, I think the thread title needs to be changed. Not sure how I ended up getting past that dungeon gate.

Secondly, my goal in life is not a gap year, but a gap lifetime. I am looking for a sugar momma, albeit one within 15 years of my age. I am learning to cook, clean the house, and to go downtown without any hesitation. Tell your ladyfriends and their ladyfriends k thx

Isn't that what Suicane is for?
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 03:13 PM   #6
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
Isn't that what Suicane is for?

Suicane is no sugar momma. He can't even keep up with his cable internet bill. Next!
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 04:21 PM   #7
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

I have done this before, except that my friends and I called it "undergrad" and it lasted five years.

What we did during this time was drink beer and bang chicks*.

*No confirmation on the ratio of beers drank to chicks banged, but if i had a beer for every chick I bagged I would be very thirsty. The only chick that matters, though, is the last one. I went Victor Kiam on her.

Last edited by judicial clerk : 06-09-2005 at 04:26 PM.
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 04:31 PM   #8
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by judicial clerk
I went Victor Kiam on her.

Either that means that you bought her, or that you made up a few lame sexual-harassment jokes about her... or both?
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote