Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-08-2005, 09:32 PM   #1
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

XBox and High Definition

I just got a Sony HDTV and I'm having problems with getting the HD to work with the XBox. The HD works amazing with the cable box and the DVD player, but with the XBox... eh. I hooked up the HD AV pack. I setup the XBox to be widescreen and 480p, 720p, 1080i, etc. The opening setup screen (without a disc in it) comes up in 480p. But whenever I put in a game which supports 480p, the XBox doesn't play the game in that resolution (such as KOTOR II, Jade Empire, or GTA: San Andreas). I wonder what I have to do to get it in the proper resolution, since the setup screen displays in 480p .

Anyone have any ideas as to what it causing the problem?

ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 11:49 PM   #2
Daimyo
College Starter

Once you plugin in the HD pack there is an option in the video setup for enabling HD. Assuming you got the optical HD cable you also get new sound options.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 12:00 AM   #3
j51
Mascot

I remember in some Xboxes you have to click both thumbsticks at the memory/music/etc screen to enter 480p mode.
j51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 12:37 AM   #4
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo
Once you plugin in the HD pack there is an option in the video setup for enabling HD. Assuming you got the optical HD cable you also get new sound options.

Yeah, I did that. I set all of them to "yes".

I heard about the thumbsticks thing from another forum, j51. Maybe I'll try that and see if it works.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:46 AM   #5
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Hmmm... or maybe my expectations for the graphics weren't warrented? But I KNOW that KOTOR II is supposed to look better that it does on my TV. On "Full" screen mode it just looks streached out.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:07 AM   #6
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
Hmmm... or maybe my expectations for the graphics weren't warrented? But I KNOW that KOTOR II is supposed to look better that it does on my TV. On "Full" screen mode it just looks streached out.

KOTOR 2 reportedly has less than expected sharpness of graphics and videos on all TV's. It is one of quite a few complaints over at the obsidian entertainment boards.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 01:15 AM   #7
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
KOTOR 2 reportedly has less than expected sharpness of graphics and videos on all TV's. It is one of quite a few complaints over at the obsidian entertainment boards.

Interesting... that could be it. Though I noticed similar stuff with Jade Empire.

I just wish my GTA: SA looked as nice as some of the screenies .
Old 06-09-2005, 01:21 AM   #8
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

That is odd about Jade Empire. I thought I had heard that was optimized for HD TV's. All I know is that I wouldn't judge it by KOTOR 2 alone.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 07:37 AM   #9
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
I just got a Sony HDTV and I'm having problems with getting the HD to work with the XBox. The HD works amazing with the cable box and the DVD player, but with the XBox... eh. I hooked up the HD AV pack. I setup the XBox to be widescreen and 480p, 720p, 1080i, etc. The opening setup screen (without a disc in it) comes up in 480p. But whenever I put in a game which supports 480p, the XBox doesn't play the game in that resolution (such as KOTOR II, Jade Empire, or GTA: San Andreas). I wonder what I have to do to get it in the proper resolution, since the setup screen displays in 480p .

Anyone have any ideas as to what it causing the problem?

Just a shot:

I'm not familiar with what Sony you have, but some of the older HDTV's (like the early Samsung DLP's) had a range of display settings based on which input you used. For example, with the Samsung you had to plug in one input on the back to set the menu since only one took 480, then change the inputs (unplug the cords and plug in a different input) to one that handles 720p/1080i.

Check on the TV or in your owners manual to make sure that the component input you are using (assuming you have multiple options) can display the 720p/1080i signal.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 08:11 AM   #10
Samdari
Roster Filler

There is also a setting for widescreen, separate from the 480p/720p/1080i settings. It is possible you are playing in 480p, but do not notice a difference since you have not enabled widescreen?

Also, I have one of the tv's moriarty describes, but I don't think that is the problem - if you try to put 480p into a jack that only takes 480i, you get a message that that input is not supported, or you might get garbage, but it is extremely unlikely that you'd get anything to display.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:33 AM   #11
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari
There is also a setting for widescreen, separate from the 480p/720p/1080i settings. It is possible you are playing in 480p, but do not notice a difference since you have not enabled widescreen?

Also, I have one of the tv's moriarty describes, but I don't think that is the problem - if you try to put 480p into a jack that only takes 480i, you get a message that that input is not supported, or you might get garbage, but it is extremely unlikely that you'd get anything to display.

Good points.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:43 PM   #12
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

No, I've set the standard to 'Widescreen'

Also my Sony is a 30HS420, which is fairly new, and the plug in ports support all the widescreen (except for, of course, 1080p).

I asked this on another forum and I was told that a lot of XBox games don't support widescreen mode, but are in 480p. I think that may be the problem because a game like KOTOR II looks stellar in 4:3, while looking wierd in 16:9.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:49 PM   #13
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
I asked this on another forum and I was told that a lot of XBox games don't support widescreen mode, but are in 480p. I think that may be the problem because a game like KOTOR II looks stellar in 4:3, while looking wierd in 16:9.

You sould be able to look that up for KOTOR II, I know I've done it for other games (to see if they supported 720p) ... just can't recall where. Perhaps on the xbox site.

Edit: It may state it on the back of the box as well.

Last edited by moriarty : 06-09-2005 at 12:49 PM.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:14 PM   #14
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I played a demo disc last night of some games and Dead or Alive Ultimate looked nice in the full screen (widescreen) mode. So it could just be KOTOR.

GTA: SA is sometimes blurry as well, but I've read that as a complaint about the game... probably because it is so big.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:19 PM   #15
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
GTA: SA is sometimes blurry as well, but I've read that as a complaint about the game... probably because it is so big.

Blurry in the times it is not supposed to be blurry?

The game uses a blur effect when you're driving fast or when it's supposed to be hot in San Andreas (gives that heat coming off the sidewalk effect).
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 02:26 PM   #16
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well, I meant in terms of not being as sharp as, say, DoA:Ultimate. I don't mean blurry as in just-woke-up blurry, but as in not being as sharp as other games.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:35 PM   #17
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

GREAT chart someone sent me on which games support 16:9 and which do not (as well as what HD they support):

http://www.hdtvarcade.com/xboxlist.htm