Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-10-2005, 12:49 PM   #51
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I think switching teams and/or injuries have played a part. Out of the top 20 HR leaders from 04, 7 have switched teams and 2 are currently on the DL (with another missing 15 games). Still, 8% to this point isn't a big deal. A better gauge will be at the All-Star break when players can adjust to their new teams/leagues and the injuries will have averaged out with 04.

Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 02:44 PM   #52
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

This would be a disappointing end to the career of a quality guy:

Jeff Bagwell's shoulder problem isn't getting any better, and there's even talk about him shutting it down, possibly for good. He's missed the last six games with the injury.
Doctors have said he'll need a shoulder replacement when his career is over, and while he hasn't been able to throw for some time, he can't swing a bat now either. ''I have no strength left in my shoulder,'' he said. ''My shoulder has gotten weaker year after year after year. I just can't get the bat head to the ball like I could. The pain is always there.'' After that, he went on to say he has a great family, and if he can't play anymore, he'd get over it. It may be time to push the panic button. May. 10 - 8:34 am et
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 02:47 PM   #53
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
This would be a disappointing end to the career of a quality guy:

Jeff Bagwell's shoulder problem isn't getting any better, and there's even talk about him shutting it down, possibly for good. He's missed the last six games with the injury.
Doctors have said he'll need a shoulder replacement when his career is over, and while he hasn't been able to throw for some time, he can't swing a bat now either. ''I have no strength left in my shoulder,'' he said. ''My shoulder has gotten weaker year after year after year. I just can't get the bat head to the ball like I could. The pain is always there.'' After that, he went on to say he has a great family, and if he can't play anymore, he'd get over it. It may be time to push the panic button. May. 10 - 8:34 am et

That is a shame. Bags has always been a great player and seemed like a great guy. I hate to see it end like this.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 02:48 PM   #54
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Man, that sucks

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 02:48 PM   #55
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle
That is a shame. Bags has always been a great player and seemed like a great guy. I hate to see it end like this.

How would you like to see it end? With him getting caught in the jaws of a combine or something?
Old 05-10-2005, 02:49 PM   #56
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
How would you like to see it end? With him getting caught in the jaws of a combine or something?

No. That'd be Bret Boone.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 02:59 PM   #57
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle
No. That'd be Bret Boone.

If that's going to be the case, at least let him have his steroids back so he has a fighting chance.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 05-15-2005, 06:39 PM   #58
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Go Pads (not that anyone would know what's going on with them in looking at the espn and mlb sites )
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 06:43 PM   #59
Suicane75
Coordinator

Ya know, I have to look at the standings every 4 or 5 days just to know whats going on. Without fantasy baseball to hold my interest I find that I could honestly care less about the game at this point. Not trying to threadjack, just a somber venting.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 06:45 PM   #60
Easy Mac

thats cause all the teams around you suck...
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 06:51 PM   #61
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac
thats cause all the teams around you suck...

Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 08:10 PM   #62
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
Go Pads (not that anyone would know what's going on with them in looking at the espn and mlb sites )

How's Petco? My fiance and I will be out there for our honeymoon and were probably going to take in a game since we're not really "nightlife" people and we both like going to baseball games (so it's something to do at night).

SI

Old 05-16-2005, 12:48 AM   #63
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Tino is a beast. What's he doing? This guy is on fire. Giambi got a hit when it mattered most too, when they had the nerve to walk the guy to get to him.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:55 AM   #64
Ksyrup

Tino should be MVP is he keeps this up. Unbelievable.

In other news, who knew Jeffrey Hammonds was still playhing baseball? Saw him pinch-hit yesterday for the Nationals. He should have retired.
Old 05-16-2005, 04:29 PM   #65
Ksyrup

Although the Yankees will no doubt be players in the AL East for the rest of the season, if you're looking for a bright spot (as a hater), it's that they have only gained 2 games on the Orioles during their 8-game winning streak.
Old 05-16-2005, 04:31 PM   #66
Ksyrup

Dola.

Also, 5 of those 8 wins have come against the A's, who suck. There does not appear to be a July turnaround in the A's future this year.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:41 AM   #67
Ksyrup

So when do the Braves officially admit they screwed up by getting a closer with very little history of performing consistently well and below average walk and strikeout ratios? Kolb was basically decent for a year and a half as the closer on a bad team. He hasn't even pitched 100 inning combined the last 2 years. And he's already walked more guys this year than all of last year. In fact, he's only had one year with anything approaching an acceptable BB/K ratio (2003).

What a disaster.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:21 PM   #68
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Go Pads. Sweeping the Braves after sweeping the Marlins to vault into first place.

SI: Can't you help there. The last time I was at Petco was when they were finishing bolting the seats in the upper deck.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:57 PM   #69
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
Go Pads. Sweeping the Braves after sweeping the Marlins to vault into first place.

SI: Can't you help there. The last time I was at Petco was when they were finishing bolting the seats in the upper deck.
That's cool. Got tickets yesterday- upper deck but 1st or 2nd row in the $12 seats.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 05-18-2005 at 10:57 PM.
Old 05-28-2005, 12:30 PM   #70
Bad-example
College Starter

The Giants acquired right-handed reliever LaTroy Hawkins from the Chicago Cubs for right-handers Jerome Williams and David Aardsma, giving the shaky San Francisco bullpen a veteran setup man.

The trade came the same day Cubs star Mark Prior was placed on the 15-day disabled list, one day after he was hit in the pitching elbow by a line drive.

Hawkins, who was 15-3 with a 2.00 ERA as the primary setup man on Minnesota's 2002 and 2003 AL Central championship teams, will serve as the seventh- and eighth-inning setup man for new closer Tyler Walker.

"LaTroy's acquisition certainly strengthens and deepens our bullpen, which obviously needs bolstering," Giants general manager Brian Sabean said Saturday.

An 11-year major league veteran, the 31-year-old Hawkins had 25 saves for the Cubs in 2004, and made 21 relief appearances for Chicago this season.

Williams, 23, who in 2004 became San Francisco's youngest 10-game winner since 1975, was 0-2 with a 6.48 ERA in four games — including three starts — before being optioned to Fresno of the Pacific Coast League on April 25. He has a 17-14 career major league record with a 3.93 ERA.

Aardsma, San Francisco's top selection in the 2003 draft, was converted to a starting pitcher this season in the minors after becoming the career saves leader at Rice University.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 12:31 PM   #71
st.cronin
General Manager

Cubs giving up already?
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 01:17 PM   #72
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
Cubs giving up already?

Doesn't sound like it. It sounds like they know that Hawkins has been shelled lately and has the ire of the fans. This gives him a new start and gives the Cubs a little depth in return.

Maybe a Giants fan can elaborate on the talent of these two, but at one point both were considered to be top guys I think.
Old 05-28-2005, 01:23 PM   #73
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Maybe they got rid of him so that they could trade for Danny Graves
Old 05-28-2005, 01:32 PM   #74
Radii
Head Coach

After Prior's injury yesterday the Cubs pretty desparately need some bodies that can start. Though Hawkins is a good setup man, the cubs seemed to have decided it was close or nothing for him. These guys are better than anything else they can throw behind Mitre though, so I can't complain I guess. At least not about the trade.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 01:45 PM   #75
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat729
Maybe they got rid of him so that they could trade for Danny Graves

wishful thinking
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 02:26 PM   #76
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Cubs giving up already?

Rotoworld seems to think the Cubs got a pretty good deal for him. Big upside for both players. I like Hawkins; I think he's a great set-up man who just doesn't have the attitude to be a closer. But with the way he has been treated by Cubs fans, he needed a move. And from the sound of it, I'm pretty happy with what the Cubs got.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotoworld
Cubs acquired RHP Jerome Williams and RHP David Aardsma from the Giants for RHP LaTroy Hawkins.
We can only assume Giants GM Brian Sabean felt really bad for Jim Hendry. It's not surprising that Hawkins was traded, but it's shocking that Hendry managed to get this much for him after his disappointing start. Williams has really disappointed so far this year, but he's still just 23 and he remains likely to be a long-term third starter. The Cubs might plug him into their rotation right away and hope that the change of scenery takes care of whatever was ailing him at Triple-A Fresno.
Old 05-28-2005, 02:31 PM   #77
st.cronin
General Manager

Another possibility, and a likely one in mind, is that the Cubs will try to flip one or two of Williams and Aardsma for somebody they think can help them THIS year. Not sure who that would be at this point - Zito, maybe?
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 02:40 PM   #78
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Another possibility, and a likely one in mind, is that the Cubs will try to flip one or two of Williams and Aardsma for somebody they think can help them THIS year. Not sure who that would be at this point - Zito, maybe?

Not sure - there have been some Adam Dunn rumors, but I don't think much of them. The Cubs have also said they're interested in Aubrey Huff and Baez of Tampa Bay.
Old 05-28-2005, 03:25 PM   #79
Mr. Sparkle
High School JV

To put it quite simply, the Cubs hosed the Giants. Williams is only 23 I believe, and won 10 games in the majors last year despite missing a couple months with injuries. He's been struggling really bad this year, and most think it's been the mental strain of his sick father. He still projects to a solid #3 starter, #2 is completely within the realm of possibility. Aardsma was the first round pick in 2003, and they rushed him to the majors a bit. He was in Double A working on a change up as a starter, but if he can harness his control he projects as a top notch setup man or closer. Why Sabean gave up so much for Hawkins, I have no idea. Sometimes it sucks being a Giants fan.
Old 05-28-2005, 03:33 PM   #80
kingfc22
Head Coach

Well, Williams was 1-4 with a 9.39 ERA in 6 starts at Fresno since he was optioned down. In 30 innings he has allowed 47 hits, walked 17 while only striking out 15. His father is no longer ill and I don't think that is an excuse any more.

Sabean is probably hoping that Hennesey maintains his form and that Cain will be the young guy in the rotation in a year or two. Making the rotation consist of Schimidt, Lowry, Hennesey, Tomko and then Cain, Reuter or Foppert (first yr. back after Tommy John surgery) to round it out.

Last edited by kingfc22 : 05-28-2005 at 03:40 PM.
kingfc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 07:21 PM   #81
Mr. Sparkle
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22
Well, Williams was 1-4 with a 9.39 ERA in 6 starts at Fresno since he was optioned down. In 30 innings he has allowed 47 hits, walked 17 while only striking out 15. His father is no longer ill and I don't think that is an excuse any more.

Sabean is probably hoping that Hennesey maintains his form and that Cain will be the young guy in the rotation in a year or two. Making the rotation consist of Schimidt, Lowry, Hennesey, Tomko and then Cain, Reuter or Foppert (first yr. back after Tommy John surgery) to round it out.

They're essentially giving up on a 23 year old pitcher who has already made 46 starts in the majors with an ERA under 4 after a couple bad months. Will he ever regain his form? I don't know, but I would've liked to find out while he's on my team. Hawkins may prove to be a quality setup man this year. After this year, however, he's either gone via FA or his $5 million dollar option is picked up (not sure if it's a player or team option). That's A LOT of money for a reliever. Hennesey's future is probably as a 5th starter or reliever. Rueter's gone after this year, I think Tomko has an option for next year. Schmidt's contract is up after 2006, which is when the Giant's current "run" will most likely be over. Bonds will be gone, Alfonzo, Durham, Alou as well. Point is, Williams was under their control until at least 2008, and cheap, too. Trading him, along with Aardsma, is mortgaging our future when we need significantly more than one bullpen arm to contend this year, let alone make a serious run if we make it into the playoffs.

Sabean did say that no one will be sent down to make room for Hawkins, which leads me to believe that there is either another trade in the works, or someone is going to be cut outright. Should be interesting.
Old 05-28-2005, 07:39 PM   #82
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Will someone with a huge ballpark please trade for Eric Milton. Right now anything looks better than him.

By the way what is the record for most HR given up by a pitcher in a season?
Old 05-28-2005, 07:59 PM   #83
Mr. Sparkle
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat729
Will someone with a huge ballpark please trade for Eric Milton. Right now anything looks better than him.

By the way what is the record for most HR given up by a pitcher in a season?

According to Baseball Almanac, Bert Blyleven holds the AL record with 50, and Jose Lima holds the NL record with 48. I'd say Milton has a pretty good chance at shattering both those marks. 20 home runs served up in 60 innings?!?
Old 05-28-2005, 08:33 PM   #84
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Pads just set a franchise record in winning their 19th game of the month!

Go Pads.
Old 06-08-2005, 03:49 PM   #85
TLK
Pro Starter

Quote:
Jun 8 ESPN reports the Philadelphia Phillies acquired RP Ugueth Urbina and IF Ramon Martinez from the Detroit Tigers for IF Placido Polanco.

I would of liked to see the Tigers keep Urbina until the deadline.... but this will help the offense.
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote