Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-02-2005, 07:04 AM   #51
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

The reason FM/CM drew me in was because of the interaction. I never really paid attention to soccer when I got my first CM, and I didn't even know what it meant when it said I had to have 11 outfield players. But dealing with player's personalities, the media, scouting, everything just really brings ya into the game. I can only imagine a football game with this. /drool

illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 07:09 AM   #52
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

dola, to add to what I was saying, re: sales pitch, here's a quote of a post in this thread:
http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~fof/foru...ad.php?t=39440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
I played a few years of soccer as a youth, but knew nothing about professional soccer when I started playing CM 4 and CM 03/04. I learned through the game, and the game was so good that I (like others on this board) started going out of my way to watch soccer on TV to pick up strategies. Your role is to be a manager of a professional team. As the manager, you have the ability to acquire players for your team (although sometimes the board won't cooperate and the board is in charge of finances and ultimately in charge of the team.) You have the ability to design various tactics (the possibilities are really quite staggering.) You also have the ability to set up training strategies for your players (although training is one of the weaker areas of the game IMHO.) You also can play mind games in the media with other managers, you have to manage player personalities (there are many different personalities and each can be a challenge to manage, particularly if the player is very talented. Then again, one of my favorite most dominating defenders is just the model professional.)

In short, it is a very complex game that is very immersive and addicting. I still enjoy other text sims, but they also seem somewhat shallow in comparision.

I think it also summarizes what the challenge of playing FM2005 can be. As I said, I find the players to be very real, with somtimes reaction that are a bit over the top, but very often very realistic in their demands. For example, sign a youngster with a contract status of "first team player" and let him develop with your reserve until *you* think he is ready and I can promise you he'll get pissed. Then, he may not want to accept to be signed as simply a "hot prospect" which seems to imply you won't play him with the first team if you know where I'm going. Lots of stuff to dig, always discovering something new...

FM
Old 06-02-2005, 08:14 AM   #53
Jon
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord
Damn him for me. I just ordered the bloody thing yesterday. Finally.

Arrives tomorrow.

I don't mean to threadjack, but where did you order the game from? I want it and I want it yesterday!
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 08:17 AM   #54
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon
I don't mean to threadjack, but where did you order the game from? I want it and I want it yesterday!
MUHUHAHAHAHA!!! THE PLAN IS WORKING!!!

ANOTHER ADDICTEE JOINS THE FOLD!!!

FM

Last edited by FrogMan : 06-02-2005 at 08:17 AM.
FrogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 08:22 AM   #55
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon

Gogamer.com.

And on that note...

http://www.fedex.com/Tracking?trackn...type=ivshpalrt

Come to me, my pretty. Wheeeeeee.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 08:24 AM   #56
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Gogamer.com.

And on that note...

http://www.fedex.com/Tracking?trackn...type=ivshpalrt

say byebye to the light of day my friend, or to all your friends, other than the ones you got here, for that matter

FM
Old 06-02-2005, 09:17 AM   #57
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Gogamer.com.

Just a FYI....I don't believe that the Championship Manager 5 listed on gogamer.com is the same product as what's being discussed. Football Manager 2005 (in Europe) or Worldwide Soccer Manager (in US) is the product that is being discussed here. Is that correct?

The only place I've found to get the US version of this product is on Amazon.com.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 09:22 AM   #58
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

but gogamer has the game listed as Football Manager 2005 (IMPORT) and at a very reasonable price too of $39.90. They used to have it priced at as high as $54.90 if I remember correctly...

FM
Old 06-02-2005, 09:24 AM   #59
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan
but gogamer has the game listed as Football Manager 2005 (IMPORT) and at a very reasonable price too of $39.90. They used to have it priced at as high as $54.90 if I remember correctly...

FM

Ah, you're right. Didn't see that one initially listed. Thanks for the heads-up.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 09:52 AM   #60
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Damn you FedEx for bringing it this early in the day! Wayyyy too much time in the day left!
Old 06-02-2005, 09:54 AM   #61
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Actually, I'm shocked that I run into the same trouble with my first CM0102 (with the last patches) in like 18 months. I picked one of the worst teams in the Netherlands. First we have a great season start into the lead of the Dutch first division, including an awesome 6-1 beating of one of the favorites to promote. To improve the squad, I sell (unhappy) backups to higher prestige teams for 200K and buy foreign replacements for 20K. During that, I turn down a job offer to an underperforming potential top5 team in the higher division. Then, struggles with my top players start, I defend them in the media, warn them, fine them if they keep being unprofessional. Then the team's performance drops in the last 10 games, including a humiliating 1-5 loss at home, but we still keep winning half our games and had already clinched a playoffs ticket. Then, boom, fired for bad results with 1 game and the playoffs still to go. We were in 4th place and anything above 10th was a miracle. Without me, the team obviously fails to even be competitive in the playoffs and missed promotion. I watched the WC2002 from the television (the USA came in 4th) and ended the career.

I guess I'll start all over again. :|
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 09:58 AM   #62
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Damn you all for making me lust even more for a game that my dilapidated computer can't run!

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 09:59 AM   #63
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin
Damn you all for making me lust even more for a game that my dilapidated computer can't run!

/tk

Are you sure? My computer isn't all that, but if I just run England, it's tolerable. Of course, that means that I want to buy more RAM, just so I can run with more leagues.

Last edited by Passacaglia : 06-02-2005 at 10:00 AM.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 10:01 AM   #64
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

tk, I agree with pass, you really sure your computer can't run it? Not that I want you to go spend money if you don't have any, but the game is still very enjoyable even with only England as an active league...

FM
Old 06-02-2005, 10:06 AM   #65
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I suppose I can try CM03/04 again, but this computer...well, it's almost literally held together with duct tape these days.

Guess we'll see if I can find it..

/tk
Old 06-02-2005, 10:08 AM   #66
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

did you try running the demo of FM2005? Maybe you could have a pleasant surprise and it would run, who knows?

FM
Old 06-02-2005, 10:14 AM   #67
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
I suppose I can try CM03/04 again, but this computer...well, it's almost literally held together with duct tape these days.

Guess we'll see if I can find it..

/tk

Wow, you're female and don't call it Duck tape. That is so hot.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:16 AM   #68
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari
Wow, you're female and don't call it Duck tape. That is so hot.

That's cause she's a rocket scientist and they use the right kind of tape on shuttles nowadays

FM
Old 06-02-2005, 10:27 AM   #69
Huckleberry
College Starter

Oh, I sold Morrison for 25M to Arsenal. Now if Freddy Guarin doesn't get his work permit I'm going to beat some ass.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 01:40 PM   #70
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Oddly enough I did try to install the demo...

...and for some odd reason it installed it in German and won't switch over to English.

I think I'm DOOMED to not play this game.

/tk

P.S. I can't seem to find the box where CM03/04 would be. Either th emovers decided to take it (it did have a bunch of cd's in general) or they've hidden it completely out of sight..
Old 06-02-2005, 02:16 PM   #71
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Oddly enough I did try to install the demo...

...and for some odd reason it installed it in German and won't switch over to English.

I think I'm DOOMED to not play this game.

/tk

P.S. I can't seem to find the box where CM03/04 would be. Either th emovers decided to take it (it did have a bunch of cd's in general) or they've hidden it completely out of sight..

Heh. Did the same thing for me. I figured it out the old fashioned way.

Menu at the mid-upper right section of the screen (the last pulldown), go all the way to the bottom of the pulldown.

One of the options on that screen is Language.

Then hit the top link in the lower left hand corner of the screen. (there's like a row of 3 links, the top one saves)
Old 06-02-2005, 02:20 PM   #72
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

CW you're the best!
I'd found the page to change the language but hadn't seen the stuff in the lower left corner. I tried everything else on that page to get it to save my changes. Off to see if I can run it...

/tk
Old 06-02-2005, 03:45 PM   #73
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Heh. Did the same thing for me. I figured it out the old fashioned way.

Menu at the mid-upper right section of the screen (the last pulldown), go all the way to the bottom of the pulldown.

One of the options on that screen is Language.

Then hit the top link in the lower left hand corner of the screen. (there's like a row of 3 links, the top one saves)

That's what I had to do too, but not with the demo. With the full version of the game.

Damn odd.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 11:55 AM   #74
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Attention Marc.

Die.

I blame you for my being up so damn late last night.
Old 06-03-2005, 06:52 PM   #75
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

One of Us! One Of Us!

My initial plan for a FM/CM net game failed, but now, I shall never lack for human opponents ever again! MWAHAHAHAHA! *burp*
Old 06-03-2005, 07:03 PM   #76
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
I blame you for my being up so damn late last night.

Noooo, don't play too late into the night, otherwise you risk sleeping in and missing valuable playing time during the day

PS> I always play too long into the night and end up regretting my last few matches, around 1-2am I always find that I lose the plot a little and snafu my tactics or forget something in my team selection, thats fatal - I then have to continue playing until I stop my losing streak (weird habit I have) ... then if I'm on a winning streak I find it hard to stop playing .... normally get to sleep before the suns up though
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 07:08 PM   #77
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan
Noooo, don't play too late into the night, otherwise you risk sleeping in and missing valuable playing time during the day

PS> I always play too long into the night and end up regretting my last few matches, around 1-2am I always find that I lose the plot a little and snafu my tactics or forget something in my team selection, thats fatal - I then have to continue playing until I stop my losing streak (weird habit I have) ... then if I'm on a winning streak I find it hard to stop playing .... normally get to sleep before the suns up though

How many CM games have I ruined by playing too late and signing players while:

A - tired
B - drunk
C - both of the above

Answers:

A - none: I go to bed at 10pm
B - once, but I learnt my lesson
C - I've run out of fingers
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 07:25 PM   #78
Desnudo
Coordinator

I remember coming home late and trying to sign Pablo Aimar for something like a structured $80 million US (in 2009 when he's turning 30), because I've always wanted him on my team. Fortunately I did that accidental click on Yes when exiting, thinking it was saving.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 10:03 PM   #79
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I've also made a few mistakes when I've played a bit too late. One time I played til 7:00 AM and made multiple stupid mistakes.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 06-03-2005 at 10:04 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 11:15 PM   #80
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

And yes. I suck.

Under my *cough* expert management, Grimsby scored exactly 0 goals in 4 league matches. This from a team who was expected to promote.

Fear us.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:20 PM   #81
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

takes a while CW, don't fret. And sometimes I've even found that starting off too low can be extra difficult. It makes sense to start your first career or two with a large club so you presumably have top-level talent. Makes it easier to figure out the other variables.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 11:58 PM   #82
FBPro
College Starter

I wish that there was an option to stay with the same club and "over-ride" the firing as Jim has put into FOF. Or maybe even have it as something that over time you can "earn" by playing the game or reaching certain goals.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 01:05 PM   #83
Desnudo
Coordinator

17 year old FM wonderkid Anthony Vanden Borre is starting for Belgium in WC qualifier on FSC, now.
Old 06-04-2005, 01:17 PM   #84
Desnudo
Coordinator

Vincent Kompany suspended for this match. Too bad.
Old 06-04-2005, 03:20 PM   #85
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBPro
I wish that there was an option to stay with the same club and "over-ride" the firing as Jim has put into FOF. Or maybe even have it as something that over time you can "earn" by playing the game or reaching certain goals.
Generally FM players want the game to be as realistic as possible regardless of the consequences (you think you lot are demanding with regards to sims, you're very mellow compared to a lot of European soccer sim fans) ... might try and sneak it in via. a config file though
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 03:43 PM   #86
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jari Rantanen's Shorts
How many CM games have I ruined by playing too late and signing players while:

B - drunk

When I was in college, I killed a number of promising seasons this way.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 01:24 AM   #87
FBPro
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan
Generally FM players want the game to be as realistic as possible regardless of the consequences (you think you lot are demanding with regards to sims, you're very mellow compared to a lot of European soccer sim fans) ... might try and sneak it in via. a config file though
Sweet, I'd love to have it as an option. I mean I love the challenge and pressure that trying to keep with the same club brings...but at the same time it would be nice to at times have a game save or career that you could fire up and know that regardless of your performance you could stay with that club over the long haul and see how well you could do over many, many seasons and ups and downs. Thanks for considering it.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:07 AM   #88
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Well, think I've got more of a handle on things now on the 3rd start. Either that, or Port Vale is having an amazing winning streak through no fault of my own.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:47 AM   #89
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBPro
I wish that there was an option to stay with the same club and "over-ride" the firing as Jim has put into FOF.

Can you not just add a new manager and have him take over the team you've just been fired from to keep control? Used to work in previous versions.

I've just started a new career with a relegation fodder team in the Belgian league. Right before the start of the season I get a press question about whether I feel I'll need to add new players to avoid relegation. I answer that the squad I've got is good enough. After that four of my players have a response, first three are older professionals including the club captain, the all say that they're proud that I think they're good enough and hope to repay my faith. So that's nice. Fourth response is from some workshy young fullback, he says that he's happy that nobody else is coming in cos now he won't have to work too hard to keep his first team place Unfortunately he's right.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 12:35 PM   #90
FBPro
College Starter

This might work I don't really know, but it wouldn't be the same as having the "same manager" for the whole time.