Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-03-2005, 12:36 PM   #1
DanGarion
Coordinator

Cool Bodyweight Training/Exercising

Anyone here do exclusively bodyweight training/exercising instead of hitting the gym? I'm thinking about just using my garage at home so start working out and figure without spending to much money this looks like the way to go.

I've been checking this site out all day reading the exercises and workouts he suggests hxxp://www.trainforstrength.com/exercises.shtml

Not planning on buying his DVD at this time, since he has the stuff on the site as well.

Anyone else have tips, tricks, or sites they could recommend for strictly "bodyweight" training?

I first looked at hxxp://www.mattfurey.com/ but to me he's more "fluff" then real programs and workouts, you know, buy this book, and then buy this book, repeat step one.

Any input is appreciated.

DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 12:37 PM   #2
rkmsuf
Head Coach

paging indoorsoccersim
Old 06-03-2005, 12:49 PM   #3
lungs
Pro Rookie

My workout regimen consists of 12 oz. curls. Sometimes when I need a heavy workout the 40 oz. curls work too.

You have fun doing it too.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 12:50 PM   #4
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
paging indoorsoccersim
Yeah I've seen his stuff, but most the work outs he does are with weights. I HATE HATE HATE weight training, that's why I'm thinking about doing bodyweight stuff instead.
Old 06-03-2005, 12:52 PM   #5
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
paging indoorsoccersim

Counting down. 388 days... 387 days... 386 days...
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 12:53 PM   #6
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand

Old 06-03-2005, 12:53 PM   #7
maximus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangarion
Anyone here do exclusively bodyweight training/exercising instead of hitting the gym? I'm thinking about just using my garage at home so start working out and figure without spending to much money this looks like the way to go.

I've been checking this site out all day reading the exercises and workouts he suggests hxxp://www.trainforstrength.com/exercises.shtml

Not planning on buying his DVD at this time, since he has the stuff on the site as well.

Anyone else have tips, tricks, or sites they could recommend for strictly "bodyweight" training?

I first looked at hxxp://www.mattfurey.com/ but to me he's more "fluff" then real programs and workouts, you know, buy this book, and then buy this book, repeat step one.

I do bodyweight training sometimes. I find that using your own bodyweight has great benifits however I do go to the gym often though. Pull-ups and chin-ups are IMO still some of the great upper body workouts. Dips are another.

Ever do standing push-ups? It's when you lean towards a bench/chair/sink/ ect and then instead of having your arms spread when doing the push-ups, you have them in the middle. Great for inner chest and tri's.

I was a pukey 160 pound whimp a few years ago. Now a very lean 225. I have arms as big as some peoples legs. lol

Last edited by maximus : 06-03-2005 at 12:54 PM.
maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 12:53 PM   #8
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:

LOL.
Old 06-03-2005, 12:55 PM   #9
maximus
Banned

Quote:
Yeah I've seen his stuff, but most the work outs he does are with weights. I HATE HATE HATE weight training, that's why I'm thinking about doing bodyweight stuff instead.

What are your goals? Do you want to get big, ripped, or just slightly toned.
maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 01:05 PM   #10
DanGarion
Coordinator

Weightloss and toned. I know my body structure and I'll never be that skinny 160 pound guy. I'm 5'11 and I was down to 248 from 4 days a week of raquetball, but I went back up to @280 (because of a change of work schedule that prohibits my normal workout routine). My goal would be to get to 220-230 range because that's is what I consider would be right for my build.

I thought about getting a heavy bag and stuff for my garage, but I don't have much room for equiptment. I live in the second story of an apartment so I can't really do much in my apartment that's going to make lots of noise (jumping around and running) so that's why I'm planning on using the garage, plus it's just more convienient that way.

Also I'm looking to fix some issues with my shoulders (my shoulders can very easily partially seperate and pop right back in, if I make the wrong movement while playing a sport or something) and a knee injury that's kept me timid on playing much raquetball lately.

Last edited by DanGarion : 06-03-2005 at 01:07 PM.
Old 06-03-2005, 03:13 PM   #11
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Quote:

buy a book called Special Ops workout. Its 15 bucks and requires little equipment.
Old 06-03-2005, 03:24 PM   #12
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Dla: It has daily charts on which plyometric exercises to do on a given day.
Old 06-03-2005, 03:50 PM   #13
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:

Check out http://www.crossfit.com/

Last edited by MacroGuru : 06-03-2005 at 03:51 PM.
MacroGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 10:13 PM   #14
st.cronin
General Manager

If all you do are pushups, situps, and chinups, you can develop a real strong upper body.
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 10:44 PM   #15
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

I totally disagree. He won't build a strong upper body, he'll have muscles with high muscle endurance.

It sounds like where you're at, it's diet and exercise. You want to have some weight work, otherwise you'll just end up looking like a smaller version of your current self. How do you most positively affect your body fat % (toned in the terms used here), you do it through reducing body fat and/or increasing lean muscle mass.

I got a lot larger than I ever had been when I first went through basic. We did nothing but body-weight exercises. There will be a time, and I'd predict it is within a year given your current condition, where you progress will simply cease.

I also lived in a 2br apartment while at school, and had my stuff in the garage when I was at home. I got myself a power rack for under $300, and an olympic bar & weights for another $100. I've used them for almost 2 1/2 years now, and they don't get old/obsolete. I can do a myriad of excellent exercises that have taken me from a 170lb endurance cyclist to a 227lb weight lifter.

It's all about diet if you want to loose weight though. That's where the focus of your energy should lie.
damnMikeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 11:02 AM   #16
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

It's all about diet if you want to loose weight though. That's where the focus of your energy should lie.[/quote]

Don't for get a little aerobic exercises too in order to create more caloric deficit.
Old 06-04-2005, 11:20 AM   #17
DanGarion
Coordinator

Yes I know it's all about diet. But diet and racquetball wasn't getting it done. I hit a plataeu at around 250 where I wasn't losing any more weight. I was taking in about 1900-2100 calories a day and doing 60-120 minutes of intense raquetball 3-5 days a week. I'm planning to do the same calorie plan with 2 days a week of racquetball along with bodyweight training 3 times a week.
Old 06-04-2005, 11:46 AM   #18
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

That's too few calories for a guy your size. What happened was your metabolism down-regulated itself. It sounds ass backwards, but if you'd added 300-500 calories at that point, weight loss would have resumed.
damnMikeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 12:40 PM   #19
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

Yesterday I broke a toe doing pushups.

I do my pushups with my feet on top of something so that I'm angled downward. When I finished and I brought my feet down from the ottoman I kicked my curl bar. Ouch.

I can still only do about 15-20 pushups at a time, but a year ago I had trouble doing one. I think I could do more pushups, but my wrist (plate & 6 screws) won't allow me to.

I can't do one single situp without my back sreaming at me in pain. Can't run due to the same problem.

I'm trying to get back in shape... but It's hard with a busted up body.
Old 06-04-2005, 01:30 PM   #20
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn&TheLions
Yesterday I broke a toe doing pushups.

I do my pushups with my feet on top of something so that I'm angled downward. When I finished and I brought my feet down from the ottoman I kicked my curl bar. Ouch.

I can still only do about 15-20 pushups at a time, but a year ago I had trouble doing one. I think I could do more pushups, but my wrist (plate & 6 screws) won't allow me to.

I can't do one single situp without my back sreaming at me in pain. Can't run due to the same problem.

I'm trying to get back in shape... but It's hard with a busted up body.

I haven't been able to bench or do push ups all year because of an anterior and posterior shoulder pain.My chest has gotten considerably smaller and Im sure I've lost alot of strength and muscle.