Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-02-2005, 10:27 PM   #1
Loren
High School JV

Sport Card value sites?

Does anyone know of any sites that actually list the values of sports cards? All I find are sites where you can buy books or magazines..but is there anything online thats updated? Cleaning out the garage and thought id find out about all these freakn cards

Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 10:33 PM   #2
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Ebay.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 10:36 PM   #3
Suicane75
Coordinator

Not online, but if you have a book or card store in your area you can pick up Beckett Baseball Card Monthly, it should cover your needs.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 12:18 AM   #4
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

These guys are right, but I just want to prepare you for the worst. Cards from the past 20 or 30 years just really aren't worth very much. Maybe if you had a really old (but mint condition) rookie card of a Hall of Famer, you'd be in business, but the craze now is "insert" cards in current packs. It really wouldn't surprise me if you had a total of 20,000 cards over there and nobody would give you more than $75 for them all. It's really sad. I just collect them for fun now. I no longer have visions of ever making a profit off these things.

Last edited by Pumpy Tudors : 06-03-2005 at 01:35 AM.
Pumpy Tudors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 12:34 AM   #5
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Not for free. You have to suscribe. Ebay is your best hope, if you can find your item.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 01:07 AM   #6
Suicane75
Coordinator

BTW, Cringer said you can just send the 1951 Willie Mays card to me, kthnx.
Old 06-03-2005, 01:27 AM   #7
Loren
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75
BTW, Cringer said you can just send the 1951 Willie Mays card to me, kthnx.

ill put it in the mail ASAP they aint even my cards, they're HIS..just figured id look a few up or something there's like a million of em..maybe id get enough to cover the hydrocortisone im gonna need thanks to the hundred spider bites i got, or maybe ill wake up with super powers tomorrow
Old 06-03-2005, 01:45 AM   #8
Suicane75
Coordinator

It'll be ok, I traded him 2 Dave Kingman rookie cards for it. You can trust me.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:03 AM   #9
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

Kingkong is gonna be in the hall of fame someday, and then you will be crying in your beer.

My grandma threw out all of my dad's baseball cards.
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 06:21 PM   #10
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
Ebay.

Yep. Nothing like knowing the true market value of a card solely by supply and demand. Guides such as SMR, Becket, Tuff, etc. are just guides - mainly to inflate the dealer's market/inventory as well as Buy It Now. You can easily do a search of Completed Listings in the past 30 days to see what the market has been for a card, keeping in mind its condition. On the card forum, I heard someone say that there is a subscription site that tracks Completed Listings going back one year (eBay only goes back 30 days). I haven't checked that out.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 09:02 PM   #11
vex
Grizzled Veteran

I always used Beckett.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 10:20 PM   #12
MrBug708
Head Coach

Any Griffey fans here want a game jersey card? Top dollar of course...
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 11:49 PM   #13
Craptacular
College Starter

Is my Billy Ripken "F%&k Face" card worth anything anymore?
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 12:27 AM   #14
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craptacular
Is my Billy Ripken "F%&k Face" card worth anything anymore?

That card dropped alot in value during the late 90s. Last I saw it was still worth about $100 though. Way short of its heyday but not bad.
bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 09:00 AM   #15
Flasch186
Coordinator

worst investment I ever made...Seriously if I wuldve saved and bought land, any land, I d be a millionaire now...10 years later.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 09:38 AM   #16
fjvieane
Mascot

I used beckett, they have an online price guide but it is a monthly subscription, something like 4.95 a month.
fjvieane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 10:16 AM   #17
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosshogg23
That card dropped alot in value during the late 90s. Last I saw it was still worth about $100 though. Way short of its heyday but not bad.

I was working at a card shop when that card hit (89 Fleer). I don't believe it went that high and by the early 90s, it was down like all of the 87-92 cards. Today, the retail value is $20 but $80 for the whiteout version. The scribble versions are $5-20.
Old 06-04-2005, 10:27 AM   #18
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

This card has always been the gem of my collection. In the early to mid-90s the sucker was worth $200+. I also have the "coolest" set for a kid my age. That is a sealed '89 Baseball Upper Deck set with the Griffrey and Sheffield rookies (also believe there was a Dale Murphy mistake card in there). Have all the Upper Deck sets up to 1994, not that any of them are worth fricking anything!
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 11:05 AM   #19
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I remember people who used to think this was the way to go for investing money. I just kindof laughed it up. I had something like 20K and they were pretty much for the express purpose of thumbing through them and looking at baseball player stats.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 12:13 PM   #20
Buccaneer
Head Coach

We debate this (investing) frequently on the card forum, esp. me since I'm kinda anal about ROI and spending money wisely. Many slam this mindset because collecting should solely be for fun - regardless how much money one spends and on what. There are many dealers online that do make money but by volume (unless one gets lucky on buying a card/collection for dirt cheap). Any of the new stuff is profitable for dealers because of markup. But as far as true investment in the longer term, the only examples are high-grade vintage cards (pre-1970) and mid-high grade pre-WW2 cards (which are hot now). Just about everything since 1970 have been going down (except for very high-end grades). One can also catch a hot player to make money, but usually only in the short term. By the way, Bonds cards on eBay have been plummeting. Griffey plummeted a while ago and McGwire cards have absolutely gone in the toilet (maybe a good time to buy McGwires). But like everything in the 1980s and most of the stuff since then, the supply is so tremendous that they will never, ever appreciate in value (except for the artificially rare shiny shit cards).