Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-03-2005, 10:24 AM   #1
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

OT - PC/Electronic disposal?

Okay, maybe somebody here will know more than I've been able to find out after 30 minutes of searching.

I know that landfills don't like electronic equipment much, to the degree that it's illegal to dump old PC's, monitors, etc. in several states. So I figure I'll try to do this right if I can find a reasonable solution.

I've got an old monitor that's ready for the scrap heap & just taking up space. When I say it's trash, I'm pretty sure it's trash -- last time it was turned on, sparks, flame, and smoke erupted from the top of it, so I'm thinking that's a pretty good sign it's time for it to go.

Problem is, darned if I can find much about what I'm actually "supposed to do" here in Georgia. The nearest consumer recycling center that accepts PC type equipment is more than an hour from me & realistically, that trip ain't gonna happen. And none of the brick-and-mortar retailers I can find seem to accept things for drop-off (even though I swear I've seen in-store signage at a few places indicating they do). The best I've found so far seems to be H-P's recycling program, which is a pack-and-ship service, that'll cost me something like $39 dollars for the monitor. I'm not exactly psyched about that option either, especially when I can't find anything that indicates that it's expressly illegal to just put this thing in my curbside & let it join all the other refuse.
And before anybody suggests calling our garbage collection people, I'll answer that by saying that they're already facing cancellation of their county/city contract because they won't even answer the phone for normal service questions much less something this esoteric - basically, they aren't an option unless I'm looking to spend the whole day on this (and I'm not).

So, any computer and/or enviromental experts around here have a great solution that's actually user-friendly?

JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 10:34 AM   #2
digamma
Torchbearer

I'd beat the hell out of it with a sledgehammer with "Damn it feels good to be a gangsta" playing in the background, but maybe that's just me.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 10:37 AM   #3
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma
I'd beat the hell out of it with a sledgehammer with "Damn it feels good to be a gangsta" playing in the background, but maybe that's just me.

I did that to a car once (different soundtrack, same concept), it's actually a lot of fun.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:42 AM   #4
Desnudo
Coordinator

I found a local computer shop that accepts old equipment for recycling. None of the big chains did. I actually had to pay a fee for the privilege.

Alternatively, you could just leave the monitor out in front of a CompUSA before they open.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 10:43 AM   #5
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I thought this thread was going to be about those E.T. games.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 10:43 AM   #6
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo
Alternatively, you could just leave the monitor out in front of a CompUSA before they open.

Oooh, I'm ashamed to admit I hadn't thought of that.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:08 AM   #7
JeeberD
General Manager

Yardsale. People will buy anything...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 11:14 AM   #8
Buzzbee
College Starter

Take out the guts and turn it into a nice planter.

Or play David Letterman and drop it from the tallest building in Monticel...oh. Ne'ermind.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:41 AM   #9
Samdari
Roster Filler

You're in the South. Put it in your front yard next to the washing machines.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:46 AM   #10
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari
You're in the South. Put it in your front yard next to the washing machines.

Actually, he should use it as a cinder block to prop up the '78 Cutlass Supreme.
Old 06-03-2005, 01:34 PM   #11
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

In Topeka, there's a place that takes them for free but it took some research on the net about "PC Recycling".

Frankly, this seems like one of those things just begging for government subsidization- if you don't want it in the landfill, why do most companies wanting to do it charge for it. It's like a "stupid environmental hippie-turned-bobo tax" for people who are ultimately doing the right thing while everyone else just tries to find ways to ditch theirs in the East River, contaminating things further.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 01:46 PM   #12
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
In Topeka, there's a place that takes them for free but it took some research on the net about "PC Recycling".

Frankly, this seems like one of those things just begging for government subsidization- if you don't want it in the landfill, why do most companies wanting to do it charge for it. It's like a "stupid environmental hippie-turned-bobo tax" for people who are ultimately doing the right thing while everyone else just tries to find ways to ditch theirs in the East River, contaminating things further.

SI

I agree. It is one thing to ask people to do the right thing and not chuck these things in the trash. It is another thing to ask people to pay for doing the right thing. It's too much to expect of Joe Consumer. Jon has spent more time on this question than probably 95% of the people out there.

Instead of government subsidization, though, I would rather just forcing computer makers/retailers/etc. to accept the materials for recycling for free. They will then pass that cost onto the consumers of the hardware they produce--who seem like the most equitable parties to bear the cost--more equitable than a general governmental tax burden would be.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 01:50 PM   #13
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight
Instead of government subsidization, though, I would rather just forcing computer makers/retailers/etc. to accept the materials for recycling for free. They will then pass that cost onto the consumers of the hardware they produce--who seem like the most equitable parties to bear the cost--more equitable than a general governmental tax burden would be.

Sounds like an even better idea.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 01:51 PM   #14
rkmsuf
Head Coach

probably costs more to recycle the crap
Old 06-03-2005, 02:04 PM   #15
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
probably costs more to recycle the crap

There is a company here in CA that buys the stuff by the ton, they then profitably extract the gold from the circuit boards.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 02:05 PM   #16
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne
There is a company here in CA that buys the stuff by the ton, they then profitably extract the gold from the circuit boards.

I stand corrected.
Old 06-03-2005, 02:16 PM   #17
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne

I think "by the ton" might be a more important phrase than I originally expected.
Seems there were several places (in Georgia) willing to pay me for things like this junk monitor ... if I had more than a dozen of them. Otherwise, I pay them.

While we're on the general subject, there's another thing that came up in my search this morning -- location & access. Everyone of the locations that would take them, even for a fee, is at least an hour or more away. Now, living in Bumfuckegypt, that's not unusual ... until you realize that the official state listing of places who'll handle this sort of material didn't list anyone in cities like Savannah, Macon, or Columbus. Monticello total pc trash = not much. But those cities? Well, I imagine they'd have a reasonably substantial amount.
Old 06-03-2005, 07:14 PM   #18
Airhog
Captain Obvious

look for recycling laws to get much tougher here in the U.S over the next 10 years. Europe has already enacted tough laws regarding the recycling of Electronic stuff. U.S. companies that sell to Europe have to follow these guidelines also. This should greatly reduce the amount of harmful stuff that is put into eletronic equipment.

California already has recycling laws, as do a handfull of other states. Europe will have subsidized recycling centers, and I wish the US would follow suit and do the right thing here.

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 08:06 PM   #19
jackyl
H.S. Freshman Team

I know this sounds really bad, but when my old monitor died in January I went to an nearby apartment complex and threw it in their dumpster. I figured any place that has mattresses and broken entertainment centers leaning against a dumpster probably wouldn't mind a ten year old monitor.
jackyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 08:21 PM   #20
Rizon
Pro Starter

CA now charges you a "recycle" fee when you purchase computer equipment. I think it's $8 or something.

If you really, really tried to get the damn thing recycled, and there was no viable option, I'd just throw it in a garbage dumpster behind a grocery store. Yeah, it sucks and shouldn't be in landfills, but if the higherups really want to be serious about getting things recycled then they need to be more realistic with the rules.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote