Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-03-2005, 07:38 AM   #1
Blackadar
Retired

More Terrell Owens

Owens: 'I don't have to play for the Eagles'

Daily News Staff Reports

Terrell Owens was supposed to talk about Alzheimer's disease, not football. The Eagles' wide receiver ended up speaking about both.

Owens, who is skipping the team's current passing camp, held a press conference in Atlanta yesterday to promote his benefit event for Alzheimer's this weekend. He is involved because his grandmother, Alice Black, suffers from the disease.

However, he couldn't resist commenting on his attempt to renegotiate his contract.

Someone asked if it would be difficult for Owens to dedicate the event to his grandmother when the large throng of media mostly wanted to discuss his football situation.

"Not at all," he said in an interview that was broadcast on Comcast SportsNet last night. "She's always on my mind.

"It doesn't matter what they say [about me], whether in Philly, in San Francisco, and all over the world. They believe what they want to believe. In my heart, I know I'm doing the right thing. I don't have to play football. I don't have to play for the Eagles. I don't care what my teammates say."

For some reason, someone then asked if that meant he would play for the Falcons.

"I would play for anybody," Owens replied. "I'll play for anybody who allows me to go out there and do what I do. I just want to be paid what I deserve. If I'm one of the top players in the game, pay me like I'm one of the top players. What's fair is fair. That's not being selfish. That's not being greedy Right is right and wrong is wrong."

Is he ready, someone asked, to sit out the season to get more money?

"That's something that's going to be left up to certain situations," he answered. "The most important thing is my family.

Earlier in the interview, Owens said he doesn't seek the limelight whether it's at a charity event or on the field..

"I'm not a person who goes out and tries to get a lot of publicity. I don't use this as a publicity stunt to sidetrack things that are going on with me in the football world.

"I don't get a kick out of going public just to show people I'm a good person. Goodness comes from the heart.''
------------------------------------

I don't like the Eagles much and have some smug satisfaction since they let this jackass join the team. But enough if enough. I'd fine him for every missed practice, missed game, public statement, loafing, etc. and I'd permanently bench him. I'd make him inactive for every single game.

Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 07:59 AM   #2
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

I doubt the Eagles are very concerned. It seems like they deal with this on a yearly basis and they just let the players keep yapping in the press...and by the end of training camp, they always show up to start collecting their checks.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 08:05 AM   #3
rkmsuf
Head Coach

I'd love to see his reaction if they just put him in the inactive list and let him rot. He's so full of it. He'd throw a fit.
Old 06-03-2005, 08:22 AM   #4
Tara
Mascot

T.O. is like a stupid Diva, Must let him talk and nodding.
Hope that Eagles can deal with that....I can't stand what's doing this jackass.
Tara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 08:37 AM   #5
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
I'd love to see his reaction if they just put him in the inactive list and let him rot. He's so full of it. He'd throw a fit.

Yes, but this is a guy who got a legitimate trade deal undone last year because he complained. He probably figures that if the Eagles don't give him a new contract and let him sit inactive instead, he'll just have his lawyer & agent sort it out.

I hope the Eagles & the NFL hold tight on this one.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 09:00 AM   #6
condors
College Starter

it was reported yesterday that his "teamates" aren't showing up for his charity event.

way to go buddy

hope you enjoy your retirement(i don't see the eagles blinking and i think his ego is too big to play under his current deal)

funny how last year durning the interviews it wasn't about the money
condors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 10:15 AM   #7
Kodos
Resident Alien

Jack.

Ass.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 10:18 AM   #8
Desnudo
Coordinator

They made it one game farther with him than without him and still didn't win the final game. I don't see the bargaining position here.

Last edited by Desnudo : 06-03-2005 at 10:18 AM.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 10:20 AM   #9
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo
They made it one game farther with him than without him and still didn't win the final game. I don't see the bargaining position here.

Technically, they got one game farther without him.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 10:29 AM   #10
GroundCat
Banned

The Eagles can pretty much end TO's career by benching him the rest of his contract.

It will be somewhat expensive, but TO will never reach any of the incentives, so it won't be nearly as bad as it seems.

GroundCat prays to god that this happens.
GroundCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 10:33 AM   #11
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Heheh...and the laughter from the 49ers fans gets even louder.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:43 AM   #12
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

The way T.O. os fo full of himself I wonder how it makes him feel when his own grandmother doesn't remember who he is. I'm not trying to be funny, I went thru that with one of the most beautiful women I ever knew... She was screaming for my aunt as I walked to the porch, then when I told her to calm down, it's just me she said "I'm sorry, but I don't know who you are." When I showed her some pictures of her great-granddaughter she pointed me out and said "That's Johnny!" I said "I know, that's me." She looked at the pic, then at me, and then got all excited and couldn't stop hugging me. She then asked how my dad was. I didn't have the heart to tell her he had been dead for a year...

Terrell Owens, there is more important things in this world than Terrell Owens. You should be ashamed of yourself. You discrace your grandmother. And just because you were asked doesn't mean that you turn it into a T.O. circus show. Fuck you.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:45 AM   #13
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

My guess is that if he doesn't show up the Eagles will suspend him much like the Patriots did with Terry Glenn a couple of years ago. He will then most likely be released after the season or traded.
Cap Ologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 10:47 AM   #14
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Ologist
He will then most likely be released after the season or traded.

I'd be surprised if they release him. That's a lot of money they'd be giving up in dead cap. Trade? Who'd be mad enough to take him?
Old 06-03-2005, 11:21 AM   #15
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

I would understand grippin' about a contract if he caught 200 balls for 4500 yards and 45 tds. last season all while single handedly fighting a Martian lead alien invasion but 77 catches for 1400 and 14 tds, puh lease.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:27 AM   #16
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

For reference:
  • Owens is 32
  • He's 1 year into a 7-year contract
  • Said contract will pay him between $42 million and $46 million, with a $10 million bonus
  • In 2004 he ranked 12th in the league with 1200 receiving yards
  • In 2004 he ranked 3rd in the league with 14 receiving TDs

Personally, I think his contract sounds about right, perhaps a bit generous, for his production. Especially when you consider he was McNabb's #1 target and often the focus of the offense. An offense, it should be pointed out, that didn't have a particularly heavy running component.

If the Iggles won the Super Bowl and Owens approached 2000 receiving yards and 20 TDs, I might think he had a case.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:46 AM   #17
GroundCat
Banned

The sad thing about the state of the NFL is that he does have a case. Any player who would be grabbed by a dozen teams were he released, has a case for holding out.

The Eagles need to take a stand, and end this ass hole's career.
Old 06-03-2005, 12:50 PM   #18
Kodos
Resident Alien

Sweep the leg!
Old 06-03-2005, 12:56 PM   #19
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I would not even be that vindictive if I were the Eagles. If you want to show up and play, then fine, we will welcome you and pay you under your contract.

If you don't, then fine. We'll fine you and withhold payments to the extent that the CBA allows us to do it. And we'll get along without you.

Ball's in your court, T.O..
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 01:00 PM   #20
GroundCat
Banned

GroundCat is a spiteful bastard
Old 06-03-2005, 01:02 PM   #21
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundCat
GroundCat is a spiteful bastard

GroundCat needs to be wary about trolling.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 01:05 PM   #22
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Of course TO was talking about this. He's been out of the media for a couple of weeks, and so it was time for him to get his name back in the ring. In a couple more weeks, he'll do it again.
Old 06-03-2005, 01:07 PM   #23
rafini
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos
Sweep the leg!

Put him a bodybag, Johnny!
rafini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 01:07 PM   #24
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight
I would not even be that vindictive if I were the Eagles. If you want to show up and play, then fine, we will welcome you and pay you under your contract.

If you don't, then fine. We'll fine you and withhold payments to the extent that the CBA allows us to do it. And we'll get along without you.

Ball's in your court, T.O..

Agreed. I find T.O.'s comments particularly interesting when McNabb had just said in the previous 24 hours that he and T.O. had been working out and that he expected T.O. to be in the next training camp. However, this is exactly how the Eagles have to handle this.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 01:10 PM   #25
GroundCat
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar

What did I do wrong?
Old 06-03-2005, 01:11 PM   #26
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

My team will take him.
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 01:13 PM   #27
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar

Blackadar needs a lesson in the definition of trolling.
Old 06-03-2005, 01:14 PM   #28
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Free GroundCat!
Old 06-03-2005, 01:15 PM   #29
GroundCat
Banned

GroundCat isn't trying to cause trouble. GroundCat just wants to talk football and kick-ass video games.
Old 06-03-2005, 01:15 PM   #30
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
GroundCat isn't trying to cause trouble. GroundCat just wants to talk football and kick-ass video games.

Maybe Blackadar meant spamming
Old 06-03-2005, 01:17 PM   #31
GroundCat
Banned

I don't understand. GroundCat's only participating in 2 topics.

Last edited by GroundCat : 06-03-2005 at 01:18 PM.
Old 06-03-2005, 01:17 PM   #32
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho
If the Iggles won the Super Bowl and Owens approached 2000 receiving yards and 20 TDs, I might think he had a case.

If you are going to throw the stats out there it is worth noting that me missed the majority of the Dallas game and then the last two regular season games. And he shouldn't have to get to 2000 yards and 20 TDs to be considered the best WR in the game. Only one player has ever even gotten over 1800 yards and only 4 have ever been over 1700 yards and only one player has ever caught over 20 TDs.

I certainly don't agree with what he is doing, but the stats are certainly there if he hadn't been injured he would have very likely finished around 1,500 yards and 17 TDs. That's a monster year for a wideout.

Someone said they wouldn't release him next year because of the cap hit. Is it any better to bench him and have all that money wasted every year instead of that one season? And people are fooling themselevs if they don't think any team would trade for TO. He is a giant jack ass without question. He is also a fantastic football player. He always plays hard when he is on the field, he stays in better shape than any other wideout in the game, and he just falt out produces.

The three years before TO got to Philly they were ranked 19th, 18th, and 19th in the league in passing. He came in and they shot up to 6th. There is absolutely no question that Philly is better with TO than without him. That is his leverage. Now maybe they are in fact willing to play the season without him. If they start the season 0 and 2 and the passing game reverts back to what it looked like before he got there I think some of you might be shocked at how quickly they get TO on the phone.

I don't agree with what he is doing and I wish no one would give him a chance because of it, but that just isn't realistic. A guy with that kind of talent and that kind of production will absolutely see the field again and it will very likely be on his terms.

Last edited by primelord : 06-03-2005 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Fixed some typos
primelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 01:22 PM   #33
Travis
Pro Rookie

Doesn't referring to yourself in the third person automatically put you one foot on either side of the trolling line?
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 01:22 PM   #34
Kodos
Resident Alien

A guy with that kind of talent and that kind of production will absolutely see the field again and it will very likely be on his terms.

Not if we sweep the leg! Pull a Milford Lamanna on him.

Last edited by Kodos : 06-03-2005 at 01:25 PM.
Old 06-03-2005, 01:24 PM   #35
GroundCat
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis
Doesn't referring to yourself in the third person automatically put you one foot on either side of the trolling line?

Really, or are you kidding?
Old 06-03-2005, 01:29 PM   #36
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho
I'd be surprised if they release him. That's a lot of money they'd be giving up in dead cap. Trade? Who'd be mad enough to take him?
Actually, the way his contract is structured the dead money hit would only be a couple million or so. To be honest, people here in Philly were more worried about Westbrook's holdout than TO's. The beginning of the season will be media heavy and TO won't want to miss that (Monday night vs. Atlanta, then playing his old team, then playing Moss and the Raiders). I think that if he doesn't come to camp, he'll get some faux new deal that won't really give him more money but will let him save face (and ego).

Nobody here in Philly is really that worked up about it, we got to the Super Bowl pretty easily without him last season.
MrBigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 01:35 PM   #37
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:

He's dead serious. You can tell because of the winky.
Old 06-03-2005, 01:35 PM   #38
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

The Winky eye is a time tested indicator of sincerity.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 01:38 PM   #39
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne
The Winky eye is a time tested indicator of sincerity.

It's true.
Old 06-03-2005, 01:58 PM   #40
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigglesworth
Actually, the way his contract is structured the dead money hit would only be a couple million or so. To be honest, people here in Philly were more worried about Westbrook's holdout than TO's. The beginning of the season will be media heavy and TO won't want to miss that (Monday night vs. Atlanta, then playing his old team, then playing Moss and the Raiders). I think that if he doesn't come to camp, he'll get some faux new deal that won't really give him more money but will let him save face (and ego).

Nobody here in Philly is really that worked up about it, we got to the Super Bowl pretty easily without him last season.

Are you saying that Philly fans perceive that Westbrook is more important than TO?

I think that is a huge misconception, but then again I think Westbrook is overrated even to get the limited credit that he gets.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 02:15 PM   #41
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by primelord
Now maybe they are in fact willing to play the season without him. If they start the season 0 and 2 and the passing game reverts back to what it looked like before he got there I think some of you might be shocked at how quickly they get TO on the phone.

I still think he'll show up because otherwise he would be forfeiting a good deal of money per game and same goes for Corey Simon. They can posture now because they don't get paid during the offseason, only when games start.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 02:50 PM   #42
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
If you are going to throw the stats out there it is worth noting that me missed the majority of the Dallas game and then the last two regular season games. And he shouldn't have to get to 2000 yards and 20 TDs to be considered the best WR in the game. Only one player has ever even gotten over 1800 yards and only 4 have ever been over 1700 yards and only one player has ever caught over 20 TDs.

I certainly don't agree with what he is doing, but the stats are certainly there if he hadn't been injured he would have very likely finished around 1,500 yards and 17 TDs. That's a monster year for a wideout.

Someone said they wouldn't release him next year because of the cap hit. Is it any better to bench him and have all that money wasted every year instead of that one season? And people are fooling themselevs if they don't think any team would trade for TO. He is a giant jack ass without question. He is also a fantastic football player. He always plays hard when he is on the field, he stays in better shape than any other wideout in the game, and he just falt out produces.

The three years before TO got to Philly they were ranked 19th, 18th, and 19th in the league in passing. He came in and they shot up to 6th. There is absolutely no question that Philly is better with TO than without him. That is his leverage. Now maybe they are in fact willing to play the season without him. If they start the season 0 and 2 and the passing game reverts back to what it looked like before he got there I think some of you might be shocked at how quickly they get TO on the phone.

I don't agree with what he is doing and I wish no one would give him a chance because of it, but that just isn't realistic. A guy with that kind of talent and that kind of production will absolutely see the field again and it will very likely be on his terms.

Excellent post.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 04:04 PM   #43
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Torry Holt: In the midst of a 7-year, $42 million contract w/ $11 million signing bonus.

Marvin Harrison: Just signed a 7-year, $63 million contract w/ $23 million in guaranteed money.

Randy Moss: Signed an 8-year deal in 2001 for $75 million w/ $18 million bonus.

Those three are probably the only ones in Owens' league, though if Mushin Muhammad has another couple of excellent years, we'd have to consider him (fat chance in Chicago). I'm not including Gates & Gonzalez as they're Tight Ends.

Based on this, Owens may have a point, especially as his next contract negotiation will probably be his last.

I'm still not convinced Owens made a huge difference to the Eagles, though. Yes, you can talk about stats, especially with their passing game, but let's talk about what really matters: wins. Philadelphia typically blew out their opponents in 2004. Arguably a lot of these were games they could have won without T.O. In fact, perhaps the best evidence of this is the fact that they got to the Super Bowl itself without him.

So, what did T.O. give the Eagles? More blowouts.

The point I want to make is that while T.O. is certainly an outstanding player, you have to wonder if he's really the kind of "great" player to take franchises to greatness. Given him as a complete package with all of his baggage, does he overall add a complete, positive value to a team, especially a team on the verge of greatness like the Eagles of the past few years?

Yes, he's an outstanding player, and yes, he'll produce. He'll make a mountain of a difference to any team that wants to have a passing game. Philadelphia proves that. His presence alone could also take a bad team and make it good, or keep a mediocre team from becoming terrible (see San Francisco).

But is he the kind of player that helps you win championships, given his whole package? I don't think so.
Old 06-03-2005, 04:20 PM   #44
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne
Are you saying that Philly fans perceive that Westbrook is more important than TO?

I think that is a huge misconception, but then again I think Westbrook is overrated even to get the limited credit that he gets.
It was the general consensus last year that out of the three, the one we would least like to lose to an injury was McNabb, then Westbrook, and then TO. Part of that is because of the people that would replace them, with Levens being our only backup to Westbrook, but part of it was because Westbrook is a weapon that opens up everything else on the field. Take away Westbrook and you not only have a terrible running game, but your passing game suffers as well. Look what happened when each were out of the playoffs the past two years: in 2004 Philly barely beat GB then got almost shut-out by Carolina without Westbrook. Without TO, they didn't miss a beat in the playoffs, routing Minnesota and Atlanta.
Old 06-03-2005, 04:22 PM   #45
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Quote:
If you are going to throw the stats out there it is worth noting that me missed the majority of the Dallas game and then the last two regular season games.
But you also have to take into consideration the fact that TO has been hurt in each of the past two years.
Old 06-03-2005, 05:59 PM   #46
Travis
Pro Rookie

Yeesh, I don't check the board for a few hours only to come back and find 4 people have been discussing my winky. Terrible.

As far as the topic goes, I'd like to chime in and agree with Westbrook coming after McNabb and before T.O. in terms of importance to the offense. They'll be better off this year having more quality depth behind Westbrook as odds are that he'll play 12 or 13 games tops, but the way he plays gives other players so much more room to operate in.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 06:22 PM   #47
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigglesworth
But you also have to take into consideration the fact that TO has been hurt in each of the past two years.

I don't see why. I don't recall what his injury was in 2003, but his injury this year was a freak thing. He got pulled down at an odd angle. That doesn't make him injury prone. That could have happened to anyone. He hasn't missed significant time in his entire career.
primelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 06:45 PM   #48
Comey
College Starter

The third person is only funny when Bob Dole does it.

As far as TO goes...eh, whatever. If he plays he plays. If he doesn't, we'll still win without him. Greg Lewis, baby! Had the most speed and best hands on the team last year.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 06:55 PM   #49
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Quote:
I don't see why. I don't recall what his injury was in 2003, but his injury this year was a freak thing. He got pulled down at an odd angle. That doesn't make him injury prone. That could have happened to anyone. He hasn't missed significant time in his entire career.
He got hurt being tackled against the Eagles, I think something having to do with his shoulder. In fact, he has played all 16 games only once in the past six years, and he is approaching 32.