Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-31-2005, 10:24 PM   #1
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Lacrosse?

Just read an article about this the other day, apparently lacrosse is quite the up-and-coming sport amongst the little ones...catching on like wildfire. Easy to learn, lots of action, no skates needed and you can use your hands!!! They say its growing so fast that coaches are being stripped away from other sports to learn-on-the-job. Very interesting to me. Anybody else think this is going to replace soccer as 'the next big sport?"

http://www.berecruited.com/college-r...-lacrosse.html

Last edited by Bubba Wheels : 06-01-2005 at 12:59 PM.
Bubba Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 10:29 PM   #2
Joe
Pro Starter

no.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 10:41 PM   #3
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
no.

Seconded
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 10:44 PM   #4
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Damn. I thought this thread was going to be about the Wisconsin city featuring the "World's Largest Six Pack" of Old Style beer.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 10:45 PM   #5
Mr. Sparkle
High School JV

I think lacrosse has the potential to be a widely watched sport in our country. It is rather exciting, and much more high scoring than both hockey and soccer. I don't see it happening, however.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:49 PM   #6
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Wheels
Just read an article about this the other day, apparently lacrosse is quite the up-and-coming sport amongst the little ones...catching on like wildfire. Easy to learn, lots of action, no skates needed and you can use your hands!!! They say its growing so fast that coaches are being stripped away from other sports to learn-on-the-job. Very interesting to me. Anybody else think this is going to replace soccer as 'the next big sport?"

No, its gonna be Viperball. Mark my words.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:08 PM   #7
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

I don't know, if LaCrosse were a stock I think I'd be buying it. Would have sold baseball long ago.
Bubba Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 12:16 AM   #8
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I appreciate lacrosse, and I can enjoy watching it, but it's really not as revved-up as people make it sound. Sure, it's faster than soccer and higher-scoring, but from the few games I've watched on TV, there are a lot of times where it's just defensemen passing the ball back and forth while they look for a seam. It's just like hockey blueliners trying to set up a power play shot. I don't really find it much more exciting than many other sports. Again, I can enjoy watching lacrosse, but I'd take something like Arena Football over it if I had to choose one.

I'm sure that lacrosse is easy to set up for kids because you don't necessarily need a lot of expensive equipment, particularly if you limit or eliminate body checks. I've never played lacrosse or soccer, but I'd imagine that lacrosse is probably safer for kids, too. Soccer has already shown, though, that it doesn't matter how many children are playing or how many recreational leagues are around. These sports just have a long way to go to get acceptance on television, and that's really what these discussions end up being about, isn't it?
Old 06-01-2005, 12:19 AM   #9
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
I'm sure that lacrosse is easy to set up for kids because you don't necessarily need a lot of expensive equipment, particularly if you limit or eliminate body checks. I've never played lacrosse or soccer, but I'd imagine that lacrosse is probably safer for kids, too. Soccer has already shown, though, that it doesn't matter how many children are playing or how many recreational leagues are around. These sports just have a long way to go to get acceptance on television, and that's really what these discussions end up being about, isn't it?

heh, $120 sticks are cheap? lax won't catch on world wide, too much gear. It will continue to be the fastest growing sport at many levels in the US tho.
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 12:29 AM   #10
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby
heh, $120 sticks are cheap? lax won't catch on world wide, too much gear. It will continue to be the fastest growing sport at many levels in the US tho.

I knew someone here played lacrosse, and I couldn't remember who it was. Thanks for the reminder. Is that really as cheap a stick as you can get, especially for kids? I'm ignorant about this, because almost nobody plays lacrosse down here. Besides a stick, what else is necessary? Gloves, a helmet, and what else? I'm not trying to look down on lacrosse. I just don't know.

Even so, I understand that it's more expensive than something like basketball or baseball, but is the price similar to soccer? I guess as far as getting kids into sports, lacrosse is probably competing with soccer and hockey. My guess is that hockey is quite a bit more expensive than soccer and lacrosse (again, just a guess).

Anyway, all I'm really saying is that parents can probably get their kids into lacrosse as easily as they can get them into soccer. The pace of lacrosse, though, isn't going to make it any more marketable than soccer from a television standpoint.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:35 AM   #11
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I knew someone here played lacrosse, and I couldn't remember who it was. Thanks for the reminder. Is that really as cheap a stick as you can get, especially for kids? I'm ignorant about this, because almost nobody plays lacrosse down here. Besides a stick, what else is necessary? Gloves, a helmet, and what else? I'm not trying to look down on lacrosse. I just don't know.

Even so, I understand that it's more expensive than something like basketball or baseball, but is the price similar to soccer? I guess as far as getting kids into sports, lacrosse is probably competing with soccer and hockey. My guess is that hockey is quite a bit more expensive than soccer and lacrosse (again, just a guess).

Anyway, all I'm really saying is that parents can probably get their kids into lacrosse as easily as they can get them into soccer. The pace of lacrosse, though, isn't going to make it any more marketable than soccer from a television standpoint.

In essence all your kids need is a stick, the other equipment is provided by most youth leagues (the one I coached in did). Of course, most kids will want their own gloves, armpads, helmets, shoulder pads, rib bads so they don't have to use the community ones (which no, we don't wash as coaches) so it CAN get expensive. A cheap stick probably runs around $50 right now but I have always gone the custom route so I don't know for sure (custom sticks run around $120 with a good head, shaft and string job at the Gait Brothers store in Syracuse).

I would agree that lax is comparable to hockey in cost (probably a little cheaper)

I think lacrosse is right up there with soccer as far as ease in getting kids started, that's one of the big reasons it's growing so much at the youth and high school level (combined with a lack of a "tough" or "glamor" sport in the spring)
Old 06-01-2005, 12:44 AM   #12
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

On a tangent, I look forward to watching some live lacrosse after I move up to Pennsylvania. The university at which my wife will be teaching (Seton Hill University) has started up a lacrosse squad. Of course, they just played their first season and only one of their seven games was played at home. Hrrmmm. Hopefully, they'll have a couple of home games next year and I'll get to watch.
Old 06-01-2005, 04:40 AM   #13
Desnudo
Coordinator

I played it, but never really fell in love with the sport. I'd compare it to hockey as far as potential popularity goes (watching). It's a very similar sport.

Last edited by Desnudo : 06-01-2005 at 04:42 AM.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 04:45 AM   #14
CraigSca
Pro Starter

People have been saying this about Sport X for years. It's all hype, although I know they did expect about 40K for this year's NCAA finals (Congrats to Johns Hopkins). It's a pretty good sport, but EXTREMELY regional.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 11:05 AM   #15
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca
People have been saying this about Sport X for years. It's all hype, although I know they did expect about 40K for this year's NCAA finals (Congrats to Johns Hopkins). It's a pretty good sport, but EXTREMELY regional.

While I don't think lacrosse will ever go mainstream and be on tv and such, it IS expanding rapidly westward but it does take time to set up the youth programs and then the JV and varsity programs.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:06 AM   #16
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Ok.
First, can you PLEASE fix the title of this thread? LaCrosse is a town in Wisconsin. Lacrosse is a sport.

I think lax is huge in the mid-atlantic region, though the rest of the country seems to only recently be catching on. I played club lax growing up until soccer became too involved, and then played for my team in high school. It's a wonderful sport. Honestly, I see it becoming bigger than soccer but never as big as football or basketball. The men's game has things that the American sports fan really likes--a bit of violence/contact and a high score (women's game also has a high score but is generally "minimal contact").

On a random side note, when I was moving last week I found one of my old lax sticks in my closet. Since my most recent ankle surgery left me never able to run or jump again, I figured I'd never really have much use for the stick again so left it out near the dumpster...not in, but leaning up against one of the walls. 30 minutes later, the stick was gone (and it wasn't in the dumpster, I checked). Hopefully that means that someone else will pick up the stick and learn to cradle and maybe even join a team. Made me quite happy to see that somebody picked it up.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 12:28 PM   #17
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Lacrosse won't ever pass the NFL on MLB, but I could see it stepping into the niche that the NHL once owned.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:30 PM   #18
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Lacrosse may be fun to play but it's a dreadful spectator sport.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:46 PM   #19
Ryno
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzie
Damn. I thought this thread was going to be about the Wisconsin city featuring the "World's Largest Six Pack" of Old Style beer.

Me too. I'm heading up there this weekend for my sister's graduation. I thought there might actually be something interesting going on up there. Oh well.
Ryno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 01:10 PM   #20
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
Lacrosse may be fun to play but it's a dreadful spectator sport.

No, I think it's not the greatest tv sport but it falls into the same category hockey does in that it's a great sport to watch live if you know all the rules and such. It's a little tough for the casual fan to pick up on tv.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:13 PM   #21
Desnudo
Coordinator

They need to add a shot clock if the sport is to ever grow as a spectator sport. Watching JH kill the clock at the end as one guy ran around in a large circle isn't the most exciting thing in the world.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:15 PM   #22
DanGarion
Coordinator

We just got a pro team here in Anaheim, the Anaheim Storm. I've watched it on TV like once and it didn't really interest me.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 01:17 PM   #23
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo
They need to add a shot clock if the sport is to ever grow as a spectator sport. Watching JH kill the clock at the end as one guy ran around in a large circle isn't the most exciting thing in the world.
The indoor league does have a shot clock.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:21 PM   #24
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
Yeah but the league won't really take off till they get a hot chicking playing in it.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:22 PM   #25
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangarion
Yeah but the league won't really take off till they get a hot chicking playing in it.
Now does have to win, or would just being hot be enough?
Old 06-01-2005, 01:22 PM   #26
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

The pro outdoor league has one too if I believe (don't watch too much of it), they've tried getting one in college and high school but there's still too much resistance.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:27 PM   #27
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Now does have to win, or would just being hot be enough?

A round ass, tits and pretty face, and she's good to go
Old 06-01-2005, 01:43 PM   #28
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo
A round ass, tits and pretty face, and she's good to go

DING DING DING.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:41 PM   #29
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin
LaCrosse is a town in Wisconsin. Lacrosse is a sport.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought "La Crosse" was a town in Wisconsin.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:47 PM   #30
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:

Well if this was OOTP it would be Lacrose since it's can't do puntuaction or spaces...
Old 06-01-2005, 07:48 PM   #31
tucker342
Pro Starter

I love Lacrosse. Next fall I'm going to look into if the U. of Iowa has a club team (they probably do, I mean come on they have Rugby club team...)
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 08:05 PM   #32
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

What would I do without you, PT?

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 08:19 PM   #33
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Oh, did JHU win the title?
Old 06-01-2005, 08:22 PM   #34
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEMICAL SOLDIER
Oh, did JHU win the title?

yes, beat duke
Old 06-01-2005, 09:25 PM   #35
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker342
I love Lacrosse. Next fall I'm going to look into if the U. of Iowa has a club team (they probably do, I mean come on they have Rugby club team...)
They do. They were 1-9 last year.

I play Club lacrosse at UMass now. I think with the growth of the game at the youth/high school level now in places like Florida/California it has the potential to become the biggest of the remaining sports after Basketball, Football and Baseball. Soccer will also get a lot more popular, especially in the Southwest, due to the influx of immigrants from Latin America, but I think lacrosse could resonate more due to the high scoring and hitting. Most people I've taken to see a game or watched one on TV who have never really seen the sport before really enjoy it (it helps that UMass plays about as up-tempo a style as there is in college lacrosse). But the cost of equipment/lack of knowledge of the rules on the part of the layman will hold it back from becoming as big as the Big 3+NASCAR like it did for hockey.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote