Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Should FOFC allow the use of avatars?
Yes, It'd Add A Little Personality. 85 50.30%
No Avatars For You! 77 45.56%
I'm A Vegisexual - I Can't Be Bothered With These Unimportant Questions. 7 4.14%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-29-2005, 02:19 PM   #51
Joe
Pro Starter

can't you just put the avatar into your signature anyway?

Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 03:11 PM   #52
JeeberD
General Manager

Nope, no pics in the sig...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 03:16 PM   #53
Joe
Pro Starter

gay
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 04:06 PM   #54
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
Well, the unfortunate thing is that it's one of those "95% of the people will do just fine but the other 5% fucks it up for everyone" and there's no way to effectively moderate because while there are only 5% that even bother to test the boundaries, they then rile up everyone else because they're giant attention whores.

SI

dude... there are settings in nearly every type of message board which allow avatar size limitations to be placed. it's not like some unwritten rule that you trust everyone will follow. lol
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 04:57 PM   #55
RendeR
Coordinator

There is no quality reason beyond the moderators disliking them to not have avatars. Even the moderation of avatars themselves isn't a valid excuse as anyone seeing an out of line avatar will make it known wether its by posting about it or informing the moderators.

I understand the wish to not have assinine avatars, but the tools are in place to control the size of the images, so thats not a good reason either.

Anyone who dislikes them can turn them OFF, so those folks won't be bothered either.

So basically there is nothing to discuss. The moderators don't want them, thats the ONLY reason they aren't usable.

I don't really care either way to be honest, but I get tired of all the pathetic excuses from those who dislike them and all the whining from those that do want them.

I just wanted to get a solid bottom line to things so people can at least argue/complain about the real reason for the current situation.

Be Well john Spartan, think happy happy joy joy thoughts.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 07:24 PM   #56
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR
I don't really care either way to be honest, but I get tired of all the pathetic excuses from those who dislike them and all the whining from those that do want them.

Since this might as well been addressed to me, I'm throwing my 2 cents in. The size thing is only a minor issue, if any. Content, on the other hand, is a royal pain in the ass. Just brushing this aside as "you're an idiot, size is easy to control" doesn't address the real issue. It's always a pathetic excuse from others until you're the one who has some nipple you can barely see in your avatar or your use of the phrase "cowboy up" or "get hit by a car" that lands you in the box and sends the board into a frenzy.

Quote:

All that aside, I love Demolition Man

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 07:29 PM   #57
stevew
Hall Of Famer

While we are at it, why cant you change your undername title. I guess you only get one if you are special.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 07:39 PM   #58
TLK
Pro Starter

Quote:
There is no quality reason beyond the moderators disliking them to not have avatars. Even the moderation of avatars themselves isn't a valid excuse as anyone seeing an out of line avatar will make it known wether its by posting about it or informing the moderators.

I understand the wish to not have assinine avatars, but the tools are in place to control the size of the images, so thats not a good reason either.

Anyone who dislikes them can turn them OFF, so those folks won't be bothered either.

So basically there is nothing to discuss. The moderators don't want them, thats the ONLY reason they aren't usable.

I just wanted to get a solid bottom line to things so people can at least argue/complain about the real reason for the current situation.

Ummm.... have you seen some of the posts from certain folks around here?

It seems some stay here for no reason, other than to toe the line....

With avatars I cringe at coming here to see a well endowed chickie shaking her love jugs (as much as I'd love to see that).... just for some folks to think they're getting away with something for a few minutes.

I had to think twice before posting the chickies in the "Danica Patrick" thread, and didn't even dare posting the "PG" shot of Kelly Clarkson in the KC thread. I don't want it to get any worse.....

Last edited by TLK : 05-29-2005 at 07:42 PM.
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 08:56 PM   #59
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
Since this might as well been addressed to me, I'm throwing my 2 cents in. The size thing is only a minor issue, if any. Content, on the other hand, is a royal pain in the ass. Just brushing this aside as "you're an idiot, size is easy to control" doesn't address the real issue. It's always a pathetic excuse from others until you're the one who has some nipple you can barely see in your avatar or your use of the phrase "cowboy up" or "get hit by a car" that lands you in the box and sends the board into a frenzy.

All that aside, I love Demolition Man

SI

I repeat, anyone who does not WANT to see them, does not HAVE to see them, they are optional to view.

Content and quality control are inherintly covered because anyone with the slightest thing out of line will get comments about it and therefore be noticed by the moderators, or someone will nark to the mods to make SURE they get nailed.

Beyond that, if people are still dumbass enough to put up something they could get pelted for, then they deserve it.

There is no valid excuse for not allowing them beyond the pure dis-interest of the moderators. Thats all I'm really saying.

I wish I were and Oscar Meyer Weiner.....
Old 05-29-2005, 09:16 PM   #60
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
I repeat, anyone who does not WANT to see them, does not HAVE to see them, they are optional to view.

Content and quality control are inherintly covered because anyone with the slightest thing out of line will get comments about it and therefore be noticed by the moderators, or someone will nark to the mods to make SURE they get nailed.

Beyond that, if people are still dumbass enough to put up something they could get pelted for, then they deserve it.

There is no valid excuse for not allowing them beyond the pure dis-interest of the moderators. Thats all I'm really saying.

I wish I were and Oscar Meyer Weiner.....

Those are my sentiments exactly, and i will shout them to the heavens. I just wanted someone else to do it first.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 09:18 PM   #61
RendeR
Coordinator

you wish you were a weiner TOO???
Old 05-29-2005, 09:22 PM   #62
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
you wish you were a weiner TOO???

According to alot of people I already am.

If the mods pure lack of wanting to see them is the only reason we don't have them, well that kind of sucks.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:43 AM   #63
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
While we are at it, why cant you change your undername title. I guess you only get one if you are special.

According to SkyDog the only people who have special titles are ones who have requested them. So if you want one, ask SD for it...

Old 05-30-2005, 11:46 AM   #64
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I'm a big fan of not having avatars. It's not like people can't go to the millions of other avatar infested boards to show off the latest weird shit off the net.

I understand why people are pushing the "you don't have to see them if you don't want to" angle, but honestly, we're all board patrons and we should all have a vote on this, whatever our opinion is.

Last edited by Peregrine : 05-30-2005 at 11:50 AM.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 12:18 PM   #65
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine
...we're all board patrons and we should all have a vote on this, whatever our opinion is.

Agreed. Now look at the results of the poll...

Old 05-30-2005, 12:45 PM   #66
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD

What Jeebs said.
Old 05-30-2005, 06:17 PM   #67
wbatl1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD

Although it should be an official, stickyed thread. But I don't want them ,and I know my moderator won't allow them
Old 05-30-2005, 09:13 PM   #68
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

It's easy for you to say that when you're not the one moderating the forum, but when it's your job to have to change every avatar that isn't proper, it becomes tedious - just so you can have a 'little personality'.
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 09:44 PM   #69
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deattribution
It's easy for you to say that when you're not the one moderating the forum, but when it's your job to have to change every avatar that isn't proper, it becomes tedious - just so you can have a 'little personality'.

Thats why I suggested an avatar mod, and it isnt like bad avatars arn't gonna be reported. Fuck, I will be the avatar mod, I nominate myself, if it ever gets that far, which i doubt it will.

And really, a few people went overboard with pics, it isn't like it happened alot.