Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-28-2005, 10:57 PM   #1
Galaxy
Coordinator

What is "Sir"?

I been thinking of lately, and alot of "well known" people have the word "Sir" in front of their names. Elton John, Richard Branson, Paul McCarthy are among the few I can name of the top of my head to have Sir in front of their names. I take it is a British thing?

Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 11:00 PM   #2
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Isn't it given to people who have been knighted?
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 11:01 PM   #3
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua
Isn't it given to people who have been knighted?
Exactly.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 11:01 PM   #4
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Yes, if you're not a native of the Commonwealth countries, then you can't bear the title Sir. That's why Americans don't do it.

For women, it's Dame.
Old 05-28-2005, 11:05 PM   #5
korme
Go Reds

i wish i could have been eligible for knightage
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 11:06 PM   #6
korme
Go Reds

These brothers from Middletown, OH are named Sir Simpson and Mister Simpson.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 11:07 PM   #7
RendeR
Coordinator

I dub thee, Sir Shorty

there, happy?
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 11:07 PM   #8
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
Yes, if you're not a native of the Commonwealth countries, then you can't bear the title Sir. That's why Americans don't do it.

For women, it's Dame.

Oh ok. Wasn't Bill Gates "knighted" now that I think about it? Do you have to be born in the Commonwealth countries, or just can you become a citizen of England, ect?
Old 05-28-2005, 11:09 PM   #9
markprior22
High School Varsity

There is an black student that attends the elementary school where my wife works whose real first name is Sir. His mom said she wants to make sure that all white people have to call him sir.
markprior22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 11:16 PM   #10
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markprior22
There is an black student that attends the elementary school where my wife works whose real first name is Sir. His mom said she wants to make sure that all white people have to call him sir.
Cool!!!!!! , but strange.
Old 05-28-2005, 11:31 PM   #11
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy
Oh ok. Wasn't Bill Gates "knighted" now that I think about it? Do you have to be born in the Commonwealth countries, or just can you become a citizen of England, ect?

It's a slightly different title than the one granted to citizens. Rudolph Giuliani was given an honorary knighthood by the British. One difference is that he doesn't have the right to be addressed with Sir.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 11:46 PM   #12
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo
It's a slightly different title than the one granted to citizens. Rudolph Giuliani was given an honorary knighthood by the British. One difference is that he doesn't have the right to be addressed with Sir.

Ok..I looked it up. Your correct that they can't be address "Sir", but they can (or atleast he can) add KBE after their name, receiving Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire. Other Americans who have received the KBE include former president George Bush Senior, former Mayor of New York Rudolph Giuliani,Regan, and film director Steven Spielberg. I can understand Bill Gates getting knighthooded, but Giulani, the first Bush, and Spielberg? Spielberg I can see, just I think can think of thousands more "worthy" then a movie producer/director.
Old 05-29-2005, 07:50 AM   #13
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy
I can understand Bill Gates getting knighthooded, but Giulani, the first Bush, and Spielberg? Spielberg I can see, just I think can think of thousands more "worthy" then a movie producer/director.

Not sure about Gates, Spielberg and Bush, but Giuliani seems like an obvious candidate to me.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 12:42 PM   #14
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S
Not sure about Gates, Spielberg and Bush, but Giuliani seems like an obvious candidate to me.

Eh, I can see Gates. The guy is the richest person in the world from one of the largest companies in the world that has help lead to the computer society we live in today, is one of the top business leaders of the last century. And is one of the top humanitirans in the world, with his foundation holding around $30 Billion and is donating untold amounts towards health in Africa.
Old 05-29-2005, 01:54 PM   #15
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

From Wikipedia:
Quote:
Sir is also the correct styling for a knight or a baronet, used with the knight's given name or full name, but not the with surname alone (Sir Paul McCartney or Sir Paul, not Sir McCartney). The equivalent for a woman is Dame. A person who is not a subject of the British monarch (i.e. a citizen of a non-Commonwealth country) who receives an honorary knighthood is not entitled to use this style (e.g. Alan Greenspan, KBE, not Sir Alan Greenspan). Dual nationals holding a Commonwealth citizenship that recognises the British monarch as head of state are entitled to use the styling, although common usage varies from country to country: for instance, dual Bahamian-American citizen Sidney Poitier, knighted in 1968, is often styled Sir Sidney Poitier, particularly in connection with his official ambassadorial duties.

"Sir" derives from the Middle English sire, from the French sieur, meaning "lord," from the Latin adjective senior ("elder"), which yielded titles of respect in many European languages [1]

There are also other levels, lesser than knight, that may be bestowed upon a person, but I can't find a record of what they are.

Also, a baronet is technically above a knight:
Quote:
Originally all English dukes were of royal blood. When sons of kings came of age they were typically given the title duke. Now a duke is the highest of the five degrees of English nobility.

Other noble titles, indicating one is a member of the hereditary peerage, are: marquess, earl (in France and elsewhere on the continent, "comte" or count), viscount, and baron.

A baronet is not included among the peerage, but the title can be inherited. Below a baronet, is a knight, which is a title of honor rather aristocracy.

While the hereditary rights of the British aristocracy have diminished over time, peers still retain the right to vote in the House Lords, the upper house of Parliament.

While titles can be inherited, the Life Peerages Act of 1958 permitted the creation of non-hereditary lifetime titles, whose holders, but not descendants, are entitled to vote in the House of Lords.

/tk

Last edited by terpkristin : 05-29-2005 at 02:00 PM.
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 01:56 PM   #16
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud

For women, it's Dame.

Like Judy Dench.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote