Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-25-2005, 10:17 AM   #1
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

"Runaway Bride" Jennifer Wilbanks charged with a felony

Is anyone in Atlanta listening to the news conference? I didn't hear exactly what he said, but it sounds like they're going to charge her with a felony.

Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 10:19 AM   #2
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Who the hell is Jennifer Willbanks?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 10:20 AM   #3
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
Who the hell is Jennifer Willbanks?
the runaway bride chick
Old 05-25-2005, 10:20 AM   #4
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97
They'll never convict her...get her in front of a jury and she'll zap them all with her hypno-eyes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72

Old 05-25-2005, 10:21 AM   #5
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

Doesn't matter much anyway, when she's brought to the courthouse she'll probably be guarded by a kindergartner armed with a sling shot or something.
Cap Ologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 10:21 AM   #6
kcchief19
Pro Starter

The report I heard on the news this morning was that she had struck a deal with Duluth to pay them $14,000 to compensate for the cost of looking for her. Perhaps that was untrue or another jurisdiction is charging her.

I can't imagine she would by willing to write a check while facing charges at the same time, but then again she is crazy.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 10:21 AM   #7
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

They'll never convict her...get her in front of a jury and she'll zap them all with her hypno-eyes.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 10:22 AM   #8
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Ologist
Doesn't matter much anyway, when she's brought to the courthouse she'll probably be guarded by a kindergartner armed with a sling shot or something.
Great, now all of the metro area is getting dissed because of Fulton County's shortcomings. Fulton and Gwinnett, although bordering counties at places, are very, very different places.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:22 AM   #9
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

If I remember she did call someone and say she was kidnapped right?
Old 05-25-2005, 10:25 AM   #10
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
the runaway bride chick

Ah. Right. I know she's an Atlanta person, so she's a local for you, big man, but I do find you fascination with her slightly... disturbing.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 05-25-2005, 10:26 AM   #11
Ben E Lou

Grand jury indicted her. One felony. One misdemeanor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJC
Runaway bride indicted

District Attorney Danny Porter announce today that runaway bride Jennifer Wilbanks has been indicted on one felony charge and one misdemeanor charge.

Wilbanks was indicted by the Gwinnett grand jury on making false statement a felony, and false report of a crime, a misdemeanor. The felony charge carries a penalty of one to five years, and the misdemeanor 12 months.

Wilbanks told her fiancé that she was going for an evening run on April 26, and she failed to return to their Duluth home.

Four days later, she called home before dawn with a report of being abducted by a Hispanic man and a white woman in a blue van.

Within hours, she recanted the tale during an FBI interrogation in Albuquerque, N.M., the last leg of her cross-country Greyhound bus getaway.

Wilbanks' attorney, Lydia Sartain of Gainesville, said she remains "confident Jennifer Wilbanks has not committed a crime in Gwinnett County."

"The citizens of the county will be ill-served by an attempted prosecution," Sartain said.

Duluth Mayor Shirley Lasseter has said the city still is negotiating with Wilbanks' family over how much she might reimburse the city for the search. She has said officials had determined the amount to be about $43,000.

Sartain said negotiations continue with Duluth city attorney Lee Thompson.

The news conference is scheduled for 11 a.m. in front of the Law Enforcement Memorial Plaza, adjacent to the Gwinnett Justice and Administration Center in Lawrenceville.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:27 AM   #12
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Ah. Right. I know she's an Atlanta person, so she's a local for you, big man, but I do find you fascination with her slightly... disturbing.
We had a big discussion about it on here, and right now this is "BREAKING NEWS" at CNN.COM, actually.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:28 AM   #13
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

Quote:
Great, now all of the metro area is getting dissed because of Fulton County's shortcomings. Fulton and Gwinnett, although bordering counties at places, are very, very different places.

Sorry, forgot she wasn't from Atlanta. I thought she was since you addressed other Atlantan's. I heard she hired Ben Matlock to represent her though.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:29 AM   #14
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72

Seperated at birth, no doubt.

Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 10:30 AM   #15
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Well, it should be a felony, no?
Misuse of emergency personnell, crossing state lines. The latter alone probably makes it the felony.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 10:30 AM   #16
Ben E Lou

Quote:
We had a big discussion about it on here, and right now this is "BREAKING NEWS" at CNN.COM, actually.
Heck, it is on the front page now at FOX, MSNBC and ABC, as well.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:33 AM   #17
Hawglaw
H.S. Freshman Team

My favorite nickname for her has to be the "Crazy-Eyed Cracker Bride." I laugh everytime I say it... See, I just laughed.
Hawglaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 10:35 AM   #18
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

C'mon, at least use my spoof!

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 10:35 AM   #19
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Sorry, forgot she wasn't from Atlanta. I thought she was since you addressed other Atlantan's.
Metro Atlanta is pretty tightly packed in, jurisdiction-wise, partly because Georgia has more counties than any other state in the USA last I checked, and we're nowhere near the largest state. Our counties are much, much smaller than what most people are used to. There are around 10 different jurisdictions that are within 15 minutes of Fulton County, and I'll bet the "Atlanta" radio stations reach 20-30 counties during the day.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 05-25-2005 at 10:45 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 10:35 AM   #20
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Heck, it is on the front page now at FOX, MSNBC and ABC, as well.

You're right. It's not your fascination that I find slightly disturbing, it's FOX's, MSNBC's, ABC'S (CNN's as well, I reckon) fascination that I find disturbing.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:36 AM   #21
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Who the HELL was going to marry her?

Captain Ojo?

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 10:37 AM   #22
Ben E Lou

Quote:
You're right. It's not your fascination that I find slightly disturbing, it's FOX's, MSNBC's, ABC'S (CNN's as well, I reckon) fascination that I find disturbing.
Well, then you should find the general populace's fascination disturbing. This is only a story because it is good for ratings for the various news organizations. In other words, it is what the people want to hear about, apparently.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:41 AM   #23
Huckleberry
College Starter

I thought the only people she made the kidnapping claim to in Georgia were her family. Making a false statement to your family is a felony?

I must have missed something.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 10:44 AM   #24
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry
I thought the only people she made the kidnapping claim to in Georgia were her family. Making a false statement to your family is a felony?

I must have missed something.
My understanding was that she talked to the Gwinnett sheriff on the phone from New Mexico while she was still sticking to that story, and made that claim to him also.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:44 AM   #25
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

She repeated the story to cops before confessing that it wasn't true.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 10:53 AM   #26
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

Quote:
Metro Atlanta is pretty tightly packed in, jurisdiction-wise, partly because Georgia has more counties than any other state in the USA last I checked, and we're nowhere near the largest state. Our counties are much, much smaller than what most people are used to. There are around 10 different jurisdictions that are within 15 minutes of Fulton County, and I'll bet the "Atlanta" radio stations reach 20-30 counties during the day.

Actually Texas has about 100 more counties than Georgia.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:55 AM   #27
cuervo72
Head Coach

So wait...duplicating a sight gag two weeks later, only with 3 more photos makes for good humor according to the Blackie Humor Guide...

check!

(petro???)
Old 05-25-2005, 10:55 AM   #28
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:

LOL!
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 11:09 AM   #29
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Actually Texas has about 100 more counties than Georgia.
Heh. Just checked and you're right. Texas, with 254, is #1 and Georgia, with 159, is #2. By comparison to some much bigger states, California has 58, and Alaska 27. The point still holds: there are a bunch of jurisdictions in a small area around Atlanta--particularly because Fulton County is so ridiculously gerrymandered:

To give you an idea about the distances represented here, on a Saturday or Sunday, when traffic is flowing freely, Marietta to Conyers is probably a 30-40 minute drive.

Actually, I decided to check before I posted. Mapquest says it is 44.73 miles from Marietta to Conyers. Point being, we're all "Atlanta," but the actual Fulton County jurisdiction that blew the Brian Nichols covers a relatively small portion of what y'all think of as "Atlanta."

Tidbit: I could be wrong here, but of all the "Atlanta" people who post on this board, I can't think of a single one who actually lives in the City of Atlanta--or even in Fulton County.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:13 AM   #30
Buzzbee
College Starter

Is Emory in Fulton? If so, then Issidiqui might be a Fulton resident.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:19 AM   #31
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Well, then you should find the general populace's fascination disturbing.

I do... Sadly, I do.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:24 AM   #32
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin
Well, it should be a felony, no?
Misuse of emergency personnell, crossing state lines. The latter alone probably makes it the felony.

/tk

Actually, that's a common misconception. A crime is not a felony because it is interstate or federal in nature. A felony is usually defined as any crime that can potentially carry a sentence of over a year.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:27 AM   #33
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzbee
Nope. DeKalb. He's the closest, I think.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:28 AM   #34
Huckleberry
College Starter

I see. I didn't know that. I'm all in favor of charging her with crimes committed.

I wasn't and am still not in favor of charging her for legal behavior (running away and not telling anybody, not calling in to tell everyone she's fine even if she knew she was being looked for, etc.).

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 11:29 AM   #35
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzbee
Wait, I just thought of one, although I'm not sure if he moved with his new job. Joe Stallings lived or lives somewhere in the Roswell/Alpharetta area.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:44 AM   #36
Buzzbee
College Starter

I believe Breeze is 'in the northern suburbs' but I'm not sure if he is in Fulton.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:22 PM   #37
bob
College Starter

I'm in Fulton.... Just a 50 foot walk to DeKalb though.

Bob
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 12:23 PM   #38
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I thought she'd end up with that rich snob!
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 12:24 PM   #39
Kodos
Resident Alien

Good. Throw the book at her.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 12:28 PM   #40
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt
Actually, that's a common misconception. A crime is not a felony because it is interstate or federal in nature. A felony is usually defined as any crime that can potentially carry a sentence of over a year.

Ah, I hadn't known that, thanks.

As a side note, I wouldn't mind her getting locked up for a LOOONG time. As a person who has had a person legitimately missing, I must express frustration over the way some missing persons cases are handled. When my brother went missing, we were told they wouldn't even start looking for him for 3 days. Now, as a search and rescue person, I understand the rationale behind that, but as the family of that person, that is one of the worst things in the world to hear.

A person like this woman who claims to be missing and kidnapped and thus wastes all those resources (again, speaking as a search and rescue volunteer, who gets called out in these types of cases and as a person who has had somebody missing in her family) when there are legitimate problems out there deserves to be shot.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote