Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-01-2005, 12:11 PM   #1
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Regional/Dialect Difference? ("Barbecue" vs "Cookout" vs. "Grilling")

So tomorrow night is our final Tucker YL event for this school year. I'm having the young-'uns over to Chez Lewis, and cooking some burgers and dogs on the grill. I went to brunch after church, and one of the high school guys who'll be here tomorrow night saw me and said, "Hey. Are we still having the barbecue at your house tomorrow?" This particular kid ain't from 'round here, which got me wondering if the usage of "barbecue" vs. "cookout" might be a regional/dialect thing. I would never refer to an event involving hamburgers and hot dogs as anything but a "cookout." "A barbecue" is generally reserved for an event involving substantially-sized (ribs or larger) parts, or all, of a pig. If I'm cooking fish, crab legs, kabobs, or veggies on the grill, it is just that: "grilling out." Now, what gets a little interesting to me is chicken. Cooking boneless, skinless breasts on the grill? "Grilling" Cooking skinned, bone-in whole pieces of chicken on the grill? "Barbecuing"--the one exception for me to the "pig rule."

So, to sum it up:

fish, crab legs, kabobs, veggies, boneless/skinless chicken breasts: "Hey, why don't y'all come over Monday night? I'm going to grill some ______."

ribs, whole pig in the ground, chicken (w/ bones and skin): "Hey, why don't y'all come over on Monday night? I'm going to barbecue some _______."

hamburgers, hot dogs: "Hey, why don't y'all come over on Monday night? We're going to have a cookout."

What's interesting is that I can say with near-certainty that I have never interchanged those three words. I'm curious how others use these particular words.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 05-01-2005 at 12:19 PM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 12:13 PM   #2
Ben E Lou

I asked my wife after the kid walked away, and she was adamant that barbecue should *only* be used when a pig is involved. As she put it, "Well, there's such a thing as chicken with barbecue SAUCE, but there's just no such thing as barbecued chicked." In fact, she's slightly hesitant to refer to ribs not cooked as part of a whole pig as being "barbecued." She was ambivalent about "cooking out" vs. "grilling out," though. Her roots are in the Carolinas, though, so the pig pickin' thing makes sense for her.
Old 05-01-2005, 12:15 PM   #3
Easy Mac

I just thought barbecue went hand-in-hand with some sort of sauce on either chicken or pig, and cookout usually covered the rest.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 12:15 PM   #4
Ben E Lou

Dola:

And yes, "All My Rowdy Friends Are Comin' Over Tonight" will probably be stuck in my head from now 'til tomorrow night--which is pretty appopriate considering the events of last week.
Old 05-01-2005, 12:16 PM   #5
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

N.Ga mtn version ...

hotdogs/hamburgers = "cookout" ALWAYS
and pretty much anything can be referred to as a cookout
"Grilling" can go with anything that isn't pig or beef
"Barbecue" usually involves a pig in a pit
Old 05-01-2005, 12:16 PM   #6
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I'm from New Orleans, and my family tends to use barbeque pretty much for everything.

However, when my parents got a gas grill, they started to call it grilling.

We never use the word cookout.

Now, having met a Texan who explained to me that BBQ is really reserved for long slow smokey cooking, I pretty much use "grilling" for everything I do on my little charcoal beauty out back.

Also, since I have your attention re: BBQ matters, I just learned that lump charcoal is supposed to be better than the briquettes (sp?). I am excited by this new discovery, and any insight into this would be appreciated.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 12:19 PM   #7
sabotai
General Manager

I don't think I've ever heard anyone refer to it as a "cookout". Sounds like some sort of competition or something.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 12:19 PM   #8
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

To me it's always "Hey, why don't y'all come over on Monday night? We're going to put some ______ on the grill". It doesn't matter what it is.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 12:21 PM   #9
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97
To me it's always "Hey, why don't y'all come over on Monday night? We're going to put some ______ on the grill". It doesn't matter what it is.

That's generally what it is around here. I've heard people say "barbeque" in the way SD described it, by the vast majority of the time it's what you said.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 12:24 PM   #10
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:

That's Cajun talk there. "You kill it, we grill it."
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 12:24 PM   #11
Masked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight
I'm from New Orleans, and my family tends to use barbeque pretty much for everything.

However, when my parents got a gas grill, they started to call it grilling.

We never use the word cookout.

What he said, except my parents never had a gas grill.
Masked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 12:26 PM   #12
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch
That's Cajun talk there. "You kill it, we grill it."
In West Virginia it was, "You shovel it off of the road, we grill it"
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 12:27 PM   #13
Ben E Lou

Quote:
In West Virginia it was, "You shovel it off of the road, we grill it"
Old 05-01-2005, 12:29 PM   #14
kcchief19
Pro Starter

I'd have to go with your definitions much more than SWMBO. In my ol' stompin' grounds in the Ozarks, we pretty much referred to anything cooked outdoors on a grill as barbecue. Here in the big city, "barbecue" is anything with barbecue sauce: you can barbecue chicken, hamburgers, ribs, steaks, fish -- you name it. If sauce isn't involved, it's grilled.

A cookout up here would mean you're building a fire on the ground or as part of a camping-type of event. You can't cookout on a grill at your house unless you're building a stone fire pit.

Now that's defining the food. I would say that referring to the event itself you could go with having a barbecuing of having a cookout. Note that "having A barbecue" and "having barbecue" round these parts are different. Having a barbecue implies some type of cookout; having barbecue definitely involves grilling with barbecue sauce.

I'm baffled at the barbecue chicken comment from SWMBO. Barbecue chicken is probably my favorite food. You have your frankincense, you have your myrrh and you have your barbecue chicken.

One more clarifier: many people around here distinguish between "smoking" and "grilling." To some, it isn't barbecue if it's grilled; it has to be smoked. If it's not smoked, it's just grilled, even if you're grilling with sauce.

Last edited by kcchief19 : 05-01-2005 at 12:30 PM.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 12:31 PM   #15
Scholes
High School Varsity

Here in Minnesota, I've heard Barbeque used whenever something is being grilled. I've even said it a few times, but understand the difference. We also use the term barbeque as another word for grill, such as, "I'm gonna put some chicken on the barbeque."
Scholes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 12:42 PM   #16
Schmidty
Coordinator

It's definitely a regional thing. I've never heard the term "cookout" used anywhere that I've lived other than Florida. In Michigan, anything cooked outside was just called BBQ (at least in my area). I've noticed that here Washington, I've seen the same thing, although "throw ___ on the grill" seems common too.
Old 05-01-2005, 12:48 PM   #17
Desnudo
Coordinator

Maybe the amount of terms you use is dependent on how important it is to your region. Like the Northeast isn't a huge grilling center, so everyone calls everything barbeque, while in Southern areas there are more specific names. Sort of like Eskimos have so many words for snow.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 12:55 PM   #18
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo
Like the Northeast isn't a huge grilling center, so everyone calls everything barbeque, while in Southern areas there are more specific names. Sort of like Eskimos have so many words for snow.
That's an excellent point. I use the grill pretty much 12 months out of the year. I know I do it more than most, but as far as weather goes, it is rarely a prohibitive factor.
Old 05-01-2005, 01:01 PM   #19
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
N.Ga mtn version ...

hotdogs/hamburgers = "cookout" ALWAYS
and pretty much anything can be referred to as a cookout
"Grilling" can go with anything that isn't pig or beef
"Barbecue" usually involves a pig in a pit

What he said (except ignore the mountain part).
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 01:06 PM   #20
Rizon
Pro Starter

Never heard of one of these "cookouts" or "grillings" before, but we have BBQs all the time here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 01:07 PM   #21
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
I asked my wife after the kid walked away, and she was adamant that barbecue should *only* be used when a pig is involved. As she put it, "Well, there's such a thing as chicken with barbecue SAUCE, but there's just no such thing as barbecued chicked." In fact, she's slightly hesitant to refer to ribs not cooked as part of a whole pig as being "barbecued."

Yeah, barbecue (when used as a noun) should refer to pork--most often pulled pork.

Smart woman.
Old 05-01-2005, 01:16 PM   #22
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
I asked my wife after the kid walked away, and she was adamant that barbecue should *only* be used when a pig is involved. As she put it, "Well, there's such a thing as chicken with barbecue SAUCE, but there's just no such thing as barbecued chicked."

No such thing as BBQ chicken? Bullshit...

I usually use the term barbeque when putting something on the grill, but sometimes I'll call it grilling. Never use the term cookout, though...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 01:23 PM   #23
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma
Smart woman.
Duh. That was evident in her choice of husbands.
Old 05-01-2005, 01:26 PM   #24
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scholes
Here in Minnesota, I've heard Barbeque used whenever something is being grilled. I've even said it a few times, but understand the difference. We also use the term barbeque as another word for grill, such as, "I'm gonna put some chicken on the barbeque."

what he said. I've never heard the term cookout used up here. Its always barbeque or grilling.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 02:07 PM   #25
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Duh. In spite of her choice of husbands.

Don't sell yourself short, Ben, you're a tremendous slouch.

(or fixed it for ya')
Old 05-01-2005, 02:14 PM   #26
sooner333
College Starter

I hear cookout used here, moreso, but I've never really thought about it. Mostly in the context of "Hey, you should come over tonight, we're cooking out." And I know that it means hotdogs and hamburgers.

Now,whatever I say is going to be messed up because I learned English in Austin, TX, but then when I was six, moved to California (where I was born, but only lived for a year and a half), and then I moved to Oklahoma for high school. I think I'm starting to pick up most of the Oklahoma stuff by now (except I still put things away, not up).
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 02:28 PM   #27
mgadfly
High School Varsity

Up here I've heard the term grilling and barbecue used, but they seem to mean the same thing. My wife's family, in So. Cal. use the barbecue 12 months of the year (and when I'm there it seems like virtually every day of the week) and they use the term barbecuing. They also "smoke" things in a big "smoker" like turkeys and blocks of cheese (I like the smoked cheese a lot).
mgadfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 02:31 PM   #28
cuervo72
Head Coach

I've pretty much always heard/used the term barbeque for outdoor cooking. "Cookout" for some reason gives me imagery of cooking at a campfire.

Now, I'll go with steaks as being grilled and not really barbequed. But what about BBQ beef, like beef brisket? Or pulled/shredded beef?

The real thing up in Gettysburg that I disagree with is the fact that the social committee will advertise "BBQ sandwiches" now and then. When it comes to a BBQ sandwich, I will agree that I think of pulled pork. But what they call a BBQ sandwich is basically a Sloppy Joe! And that's just wrong.
Old 05-01-2005, 02:37 PM   #29
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72
But what about BBQ beef, like beef brisket? Or pulled/shredded beef?

That's easy -- if it ain't pig, it ain't BBQ.
Old 05-01-2005, 02:51 PM   #30
Joe
Pro Starter

what about barbecue chicken wings?
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 03:05 PM   #31
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
what about barbecue chicken wings?

I guess it would be grilling chicken wings with barbecue sauce.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 03:28 PM   #32
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I'm originally from New Jersey. If it was on a grill, outside, it was called a barbeque... always. Never heard the term cookout before.

Btw, the whole "if it ain't pig, it ain't BBQ" is stupid. Beef Brisket is definetly BBQ and so is barbequed chicken. If I can get it at Dreamland and they call it barbeque, that's good enough for me... . Furthermore it is slow cooked and that is the mark of BBQ, not what meat it is.

The Texans may just kill you for saying their brisket ain't BBQ... they'd probably, in turn, say your pig ain't BBQ.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 05-01-2005 at 03:28 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 03:58 PM   #33
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

albionmoonlight has already mentioned New Orleans, but since I'm also from NOLA, I'll add my piece. I've never heard anyone here say "cookout." I've always heard "barbecue" whenever somebody was putting meat on an outdoor grill. My wife is from Memphis, and she although she's being a little tongue-in-cheek, she says that "real barbecue" is pork. She doesn't see how people can even bother with beef brisket when there's pork around. As far as the use of "grilling," whenever I've heard that, it's been a reference to something done indoors, like grilling a cheese sandwich for lunch. Down here, at least in my experience, if you're cooking meat on an outside grill, you're "barbecuing."
Old 05-01-2005, 04:08 PM   #34
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
She doesn't see how people can even bother with beef brisket when there's pork around.

You should tell your wife its because beef brisket is better . Well at least compared to pulled pork. Ribs are better than brisket though.
Old 05-01-2005, 04:28 PM   #35
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

In Virginia, pork is barbecue, everything else is "grilling." Ribs, beef or pork, are part of barbecue, too. So pork, pulled or sliced and both beef and pork ribs are what I expect when the menu is barbecue.

The big debate is North Carolina style, which is vinegar based sauce versus Texas style, which is tomato (ketchup, really) based.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 06:03 PM   #36
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
... Furthermore it is slow cooked and that is the mark of BBQ, not what meat it is.

Uh-huh. If that makes you feel better, you go right on believing it.

Quote:
The Texans may just kill you for saying their brisket ain't BBQ... they'd probably, in turn, say your pig ain't BBQ.

And they would, as is often the case, be dead wrong.
Old 05-01-2005, 06:15 PM   #37
clintl
College Starter

In Northern California, I've never heard anyone use "cookout." It's always "barbecue."
clintl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 06:15 PM   #38
Daimyo
College Starter

I grew up on a pig farm in Indiana... we basically used the following:

Pig Roast: probably what you refer to as BBQ... involves a whole pig roasted slowly over a pit with BBQ sauce avaible on the side... implies a gathering of people

BBQ: meat cooked on a grill basted with bbq sauce. mostly used for chicken (bone-in with skin), pork chops, ribs, etc

Cookout: hamburgers, hotdogs, sausages cooked on a grill... implies a gathering of people for outdoor cooking moreso than the fod cooked though i think

grill: pretty much anything else cooked on the grill with the exception of the items qualifying for bbq status

In Chicago it seems everyone just says grill for everything... haven't heard of many pig roasts up here.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 06:24 PM   #39
JediKooter
Coordinator

Grew up in Southern California and it always seemed that if you had to use charcoal or some other burning medium that wasnt a 'gas', then it was refered to as barbequing. If you are using a 'gas', then it was grilling.

Either way though, whatever name it was called, bbq, cookout, grill, hibachi, over the camp fire, you knew the food (any type of food) was going to be cooked outside and not in the stove or oven that's in a kitchen.
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 06:58 PM   #40
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo
Cookout: ... implies a gathering of people for outdoor cooking moreso than the fod cooked though i think

You raise a pretty good point there, one that's probably been overlooked.
Old 05-01-2005, 07:02 PM   #41
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Barbecue: Anything involving roasting flesh by fire, with barbecue sauce. Ribs, barbecued chicken, pork, whatever.

Grilling: Anything involving roasting flesh by fire, sans BBQ sauce. In other words...steak and burgers.

Cookout: Gathering of people to roast flesh by fire.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 07:30 PM   #42
Dutch
"Dutch"

I think using the word "meat" would be more gentle. But that's just me.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 06:30 AM   #43
Kevin
High School JV

Most people here use the term barbeque for anything cooked outdoors on a grill. I've always thought it was more for something that was grilled over a low heat for a long time.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:41 AM   #44
wade moore
lolzcat

Hrmm..

I grew up in the DC Metro Area and all of this is nonsense to me..

I usually used Barbecue, sometimes cookout... sometimes grilling even, but there was never a defiition behind it.. there was no inherent understanding of what was being cooked based on the term being used..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 07:17 AM   #45
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore
Hrmm..

I grew up in the DC Metro Area and all of this is nonsense to me..

I usually used Barbecue, sometimes cookout... sometimes grilling even, but there was never a defiition behind it.. there was no inherent understanding of what was being cooked based on the term being used..

That is actually the case more often than not. I've heard any gathering where the food is cooked outside reffered to with all of those labels, and I think most people have enough stress in their life that they do not worry about the difference between a cook-out and a BBQ.

Last edited by HomerJSimpson : 05-02-2005 at 07:17 AM.
HomerJSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 07:32 AM   #46
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerJSimpson
I think most people have enough stress in their life that they do not worry about the difference between a cook-out and a BBQ.
Yeah, from what I've observed, most people do, but I can't really identify first-hand.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:38 AM   #47
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Not to bring this back up or anything...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
Uh-huh. If that makes you feel better, you go right on believing it.

Yeah, I do tend to feel better when I believe in the truth, when people like you are dead wrong .
Old 05-04-2005, 02:00 AM   #48
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That's an excellent point. I use the grill pretty much 12 months out of the year. I know I do it more than most, but as far as weather goes, it is rarely a prohibitive factor.

I dont understand why anyone wouldnt grill anytime. Me, If i can find charcoal at the store, that bitch'll get fired up in freakin december. Knock the snow off the top.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 02:14 AM   #49
tucker342
Pro Starter

Up here, we never call it a cookout, it's either grilled or nothing
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 12:19 PM   #50
timmae
College Starter

In Wisconsin, Sheboygan/Milwaukee area at least, we "fry" out. The term probably comes from the olde classic of all get-togethers the "Brat Fry". And yes, there are "Brat Fry's" all year round.

In many households you will hear the phrase "Are we frying out tonight?"

Scary, eh?
timmae is offline   Reply With Quote