Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-08-2005, 11:45 AM   #1
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Wal-Mart is marching on with their plans for assimilation...

This is strange they are actually promoting it.

http://money.cnn.com/2005/04/07/news...ex.htm?cnn=yes

Quote:
Lookin' for a cheap date? Try Wal-Mart
The food, makeup, underwear is at "Everyday low prices" but a Wal-Mart "date" could be for free.
April 8, 2005: 7:42 AM EDT
By Parija Bhatnagar, CNN/Money staff writer
Wal-Mart's taking on the role of retail matchmaker to some of its customers.

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Just when you thought you'd heard it all from the king of discount shopping, Wal-Mart is now pitching itself as the new dating hot spot -- with everyday low prices to boot.

In fact, the Bentonville, Ark.-based retailer's been playing Cupid to hundreds of lonely single German shoppers for well over a year now.

According to company spokeswoman Amy Wyatt, Wal-Mart's been running its "Singles Shopping" campaign in all of its 91 stores in Germany.

Here's how its works.

On Friday nights, singles looking for romance, mindless flirting or just a new friend head over to their neighborhood Wal-Mart where they're given a big bright bow to attach to their shopping cart or their shopping basket.

Then it's up to the willing participants to approach one another and take it from there. However, if that sounds too intimidating, Wal-Mart has set up "flirting points" around the stores stacked with "romantic" merchandise such as chocolates, wine and cheese to somewhat ease that first awkward step.

Said Wyatt, "The singles night runs for two hours in the evening, from 6 to 8 p.m. every week. Our managers there told us that its been hugely successful and has actually boosted store traffic and sales in a lot of markets in Germany. In some stores we're getting 300 to 400 people taking part every week."

Wal-Mart (Research) feels so good about the idea that the retailer trademarked the "Singles Shopping" slogan in German and is also testing it in its stores in Puerto Rico, South Korea and the United Kingdom. Someday, it could even pop up in a few of its U.S. stores.

Wyatt said its German associates actually came up with the concept one day when they overhead a female customer talking about how difficult if was for her to meet interesting single men on a Friday night.

"This was a middle-aged woman who felt she was maybe too old to go to nightclubs,"Wyatt said. "That's pretty much been the theme here where most of the singles are middle-aged to older customers."

"Singles Shopping" isn't the only match-making idea Wal-Mart's trying out. Wyatt said some of the German stores also feature singles bulletin boards with pictures of single men and women who frequently shop at Wal-Mart.

"If you're interested, up can post a picture of yourself with a few details," Wyatt said. "The store gives you your own box kept at the store. If someone is interested, they'll fill out a card with their information and drop it in the box."

How successful has the campaign been?

Wyatt said,"We've heard that one couple that met on singles night is now married. Another cute story is of a 74-year old woman who posted her picture. A 74-year old man saw it but was nervous to drop his card in her box. So the Wal-Mart associates first got him spruced up at the hairdressers at the Wal-Mart store, took a picture, and posted it on the board. I think the two of them are now seeing each other."
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 11:48 AM   #2
st.cronin
General Manager

It's actually not a bad idea. Too bad it's Wal-Mart.
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 11:51 AM   #3
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Not sure if it translates well in the US but it sounds like a good idea.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:54 AM   #4
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I guess romance and Germany aren't two things I immediately relate to each other...

You can say in German: "I love you and I want to spend the rest of my life with you" and it sounds like "I am going to cut you open and eat your entrails".

But in French you can say: "I am going to cut you open and eat your entrails" but it sounds like "I love you and I want to spend the rest of my life with you".

So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 11:57 AM   #5
SunDevil
College Prospect

I can see the thread posted on this now, "Well I met this girl through Walmart, and she had a car accident....."
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 12:54 PM   #6
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

My biggest problem with this is the fact I like my women with teeth and under 200 pounds. Seem to be scarcities anytime I've been in Walmart.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:57 PM   #7
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryche
My biggest problem with this is the fact I like my women with teeth and under 200 pounds. Seem to be scarcities anytime I've been in Walmart.

I was just going to make a crack that the first couple will probably have a full set of teeth between them.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 02:26 PM   #8
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

"You may breed here, but your firstborn is ours"

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 02:29 PM   #9
Desnudo
Coordinator

They have 91 Wal-Marts in Germany?
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 02:46 PM   #10
Raiders Army
Coordinator

How would this work?

I get a red ribbon on my shopping cart. I see this hot chick with a red ribbon and then I see some yeast infection medicine in her cart. *Backs away slowly*
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote