Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-07-2005, 09:14 AM   #1
miami_fan
Coordinator

Florida to allow use of force even outside home

Oh those Jets/Dolphins games are going to be real fun now!

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/04/05/dea....ap/index.html

Florida to allow use of force even outside home
'Good, common sense, anti-crime issue'
Tuesday, April 5, 2005 Posted: 8:04 PM EDT (0004 GMT)

TALLAHASSEE, Florida (AP) -- Gov. Jeb Bush said Tuesday he intends to sign a bill that would allow people who feel threatened -- even on the street or at a baseball game -- to "meet force with force" and defend themselves without fear of prosecution.

The measure, the top priority of the National Rifle Association in Florida this year, passed the House 94-20 on Tuesday. It had already passed the Senate.

Bush, who has championed tougher penalties for people convicted of using guns in crimes, said the bill is about self-defense and called it "a good, common sense, anti-crime issue."

The measure essentially extends a right Floridians already have in their home or car. Under present law, however, people attacked anywhere else are supposed to do what they can to avoid escalating the situation and can use deadly force only after they've tried to retreat.

"I'm sorry, people, but if I'm attacked I shouldn't have a duty to retreat," said the bill's sponsor, state Rep. Dennis Baxley. "That's a good way to get shot in the back."

Baxley said that if people have the clear right to defend themselves without having to worry about legal consequences, criminals will think twice.

Opponents feared the bill would make Florida resemble the wild West, but defenders say it is no different from what most other states allow in laws governing self-defense.

The bill says a person has "the right to stand his or her ground and meet force with force, including deadly force if he or she reasonably believes it is necessary to do so, to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another."

miami_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 09:15 AM   #2
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
We've had this in Texas for several years now, and the anticipated gun battles in the street never materialized.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 09:18 AM   #3
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman
We've had this in Texas for several years now, and the anticipated gun battles in the street never materialized.

I am just wondering when the military will change its policy. We are still required to turn the other cheek!
miami_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 09:20 AM   #4
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

As a Commie Pinko Liberal, I can't really see a problem here. Looks more like a "technicality" law to neutralize the situations where someone acts in clear self-defense, but gets cited/arrested on the "technicality" of having used force improperly.

I don't think the bill addresses the root causes of violence and the escalation of violence in this culture, nor does it address the root causes of violent crime. But then, I don't think it's meant to.
flere-imsaho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 09:20 AM   #5
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman

We've had this in thread form in FOFCland since yesterday, and so far, no shootouts between Cam and Flasch.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 09:21 AM   #6
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan
I am just wondering when the military will change its policy. We are still required to turn the other cheek!

Nicola Calipari would disagree.
flere-imsaho is online now   Reply With Quote