Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-02-2005, 11:55 AM   #1
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

OT: MLS

Anybody here care about MLS?

I'm really into it, because with only 12 teams I am familiar with pretty much every player in the league; makes it more fun to watch, for me.

FYI, they are running a free preview of their DirectKick package, so you can catch any of four games tonight on that package if you have some kind of cable/satelitte deal.

~rpi-fan

RPI-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 11:58 AM   #2
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Go Revolution! Will be in the Fort for every Revs home game again this year
Old 04-02-2005, 12:14 PM   #3
Pyser
Pro Rookie

was offered tix to the metrostars tonight. but mls + rain = no thanks for me.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 01:06 PM   #4
TredWel
High School Varsity

If it's on, and I don't have any EPL games on tape, I'll watch, but I'm not terribly excited about the opening of the season.
Old 04-02-2005, 01:34 PM   #5
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I'm looking forward to watching MLS today/tonight.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 04-02-2005 at 01:34 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 01:46 PM   #6
Desnudo
Coordinator

I'm more interested in the league now that Eddie Johnson has really come on, and I'm curious to see Freddy Adu develop. But I don't think I'll ever truely get into the league due to the lack of promotion/relegation.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 02:00 PM   #7
st.cronin
General Manager

I don't know much about Soccer but what does it mean when a team is prefixed with 'Real'?
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 02:05 PM   #8
Desnudo
Coordinator

I believe the "Real" term in the Spanish league references the fact that the team has official support from the monarchy. The Real Salt Lake team name means nothing, except as an homage to Real Madrid.
Old 04-02-2005, 02:06 PM   #9
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

It's a loan word from Spanish, meaning Royal.

(for example, Real Madrid, the big spanish team, had connections with Spanish Royalty).

MLS is trying to make their teams less American sounding (for example, the former Dallas Burn is FC Dallas now)
Old 04-02-2005, 02:38 PM   #10
tanglewood
College Benchwarmer

FYI, it's pronounced "Ray-al".
tanglewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 02:44 PM   #11
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanglewood
FYI, it's pronounced "Ray-al".

Ray-ally?
HomerJSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 02:49 PM   #12
tanglewood
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerJSimpson
Ray-ally?

Just trying to be helpfull. The last thing anyone would want to do would be to spout off on how they know that 'Real' comes from the Spanish tradition of royal clubs trying to sound worldly..... only to pronounce it wrong.
tanglewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 02:51 PM   #13
PilotMan
Head Coach

I am making an effort to follow it more than I have in the past. I am looking forward to the season, and I will even try to go to some USL Div II matches for our new hometown Cincinnati Kings. I think as the talent gets deeper, which it seems to be, that the competition and interest will continue to rise.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 04:07 PM   #14
FBPro
College Starter

I'm a fan, but since there isn't one in my area it is rather difficult.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 04:07 PM   #15
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

What level do you think the MLS is at in compared to Europe? League One of England?

Where is Chivas from?

The MLS is getting better, but it's not anywheres close to the European leagues in technically and sound play. Donovan is smoking the pipe if he thinks it isn't.
SunDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 04:17 PM   #16
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDancer
What level do you think the MLS is at in compared to Europe? League One of England?

Where is Chivas from?

The MLS is getting better, but it's not anywheres close to the European leagues in technically and sound play. Donovan is smoking the pipe if he thinks it isn't.

I think Marc has said he thinks it is comparable to English Championship Level play.

Personally, I haven't seen that much English Championship play, but that seems about right to me.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 06:11 PM   #17
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
I think Marc has said he thinks it is comparable to English Championship Level play.

Personally, I haven't seen that much English Championship play, but that seems about right to me.

Wow...I didn't expect it was that "Quality", but then I think the rising talent of our country is pumping in is starting to show. It just seem that we still lagged alittle bit in the technical skills, but it is better then it use to be. Like you, I haven't seen the EC play (just the big leagues).
Old 04-02-2005, 06:16 PM   #18
condors
College Starter

The league now is probally about that level. 6 years ago it wasn't as good. What i like is that it keeps getting better and better. There are players i truely enjoy watching. Ruiz is a dirty little guy but i get a kick out of him jumping with a defender elbowing him in the head,kneeing him in the groin, and then flopping on his back if he has no play and getting up screaming and making a motion of bringing out a card. I just heard this is the last year of his contract in the MLS. It will be a shame to see him go.(i am a Columbus Crew fan)
condors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 06:45 PM   #19
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

The pandering to the Eurosnobs annoys me, so I will continue to call it "real" (or, frequently, "fake" or "imitation").

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 08:35 PM   #20
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:

Where is Chivas from?

Chivas is a very popular Mexican League team. They played against the MLS all stars 2 years ago(?), for the all star game. Chivas USA is a new MLS squad that is owned by the same owner. They are based in LA, and play in the same arena that the LA Galaxy play. The idea is to tap into the large mexican poplulation base in the area and in the US as a whole. I hope that the fans of other cities get tired of listening to their already wide fan base and start screaming and creating a more involved with their teams during the match. I can see a pretty good upside for the MLS here. There are rumors of other popular mexican league teams wanting to do the same thing in the US.

Like Steam?

Old 04-02-2005, 08:50 PM   #21
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan
Chivas is a very popular Mexican League team. They played against the MLS all stars 2 years ago(?), for the all star game. Chivas USA is a new MLS squad that is owned by the same owner. They are based in LA, and play in the same arena that the LA Galaxy play. The idea is to tap into the large mexican poplulation base in the area and in the US as a whole. I hope that the fans of other cities get tired of listening to their already wide fan base and start screaming and creating a more involved with their teams during the match. I can see a pretty good upside for the MLS here. There are rumors of other popular mexican league teams wanting to do the same thing in the US.

It seemed from the highlites that htere werent that many people in th stands. Hopew it succeeds though. Oh! Does ESPN have MLS on full time now?
Old 04-02-2005, 09:04 PM   #22
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

What the MetroStars matchup...Alot better then the DC-Chivas game technically. I got a much better feeling from that game. I hope the MLS comes to Rochester, which is just a hour down the freeway from me.
Old 04-02-2005, 10:09 PM   #23
weinstein7
High School JV

Quote:
What the MetroStars matchup...Alot better then the DC-Chivas game technically. I got a much better feeling from that game. I hope the MLS comes to Rochester, which is just a hour down the freeway from me.

I wouldn't hold my breath on this one. The new stadium in Rochester, which is still years away from completion, is far smaller than the original plans, and is now most likely too small to host an MLS team. It's also in a crap part of town, instead of a great location across the street from the baseball stadium as they had originally planned. They really botched the whole thing, IMHO.
weinstein7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 10:10 PM   #24
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

Went to the Crew game tonight in the lovely Columbus weather (high 30's, rain/snow mix). The Crew played really well and seem to be complmenting their solid D with some good offense as Edson Buddle scored a couple and new pickup Razov scored one as well. I was impressed by the play of almost everyone on the team, Fraser still doesn't look as old as he is, Stetela will be a great player very soon, and Martino looked great as well. Hope the Crew can get deeper into the playoffs this year.
TurnerONU22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 10:21 PM   #25
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEMICAL SOLDIER
It seemed from the highlites that htere werent that many people in th stands. Hopew it succeeds though. Oh! Does ESPN have MLS on full time now?

The announced crowd of 18,493 was smaller than anticipated, about two-thirds of capacity. By contrast, last season's United-Los Angeles Galaxy game -- Freddy Adu's first in Southern California -- drew a sellout of 27,000.

Still a pretty good showing. I think that if they start winning that will improve. As far as ESPN goes I don't think so, but here is a link to the schedule page and it shows where the games are televised.

http://www.mlsnet.com/MLS/mls/schedule/

Like Steam?

Old 04-02-2005, 10:37 PM   #26
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo
I believe the "Real" term in the Spanish league references the fact that the team has official support from the monarchy. The Real Salt Lake team name means nothing, except as an homage to Real Madrid.

Actually, they are officially a sister club to Real Madrid. Their owner Dave Checketts mentioned it on WFAN the other day.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 10:39 PM   #27
Jonathan Ezarik
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
MLS is trying to make their teams less American sounding (for example, the former Dallas Burn is FC Dallas now)

While I'm glad they got rid of the ridiculous Burn name, they should have named it Dallas FC. FC Dallas just sounds wrong. Now if they would just get rid of all the other stupid names. Columbus Crew? LA Galaxy? Just call them Columbus and Los Angeles.

I have a difficult time getting interested in this league. Players swap teams all the time for apparently no reason. There is no transfer market (since the MLS owns all the teams) and there is no promotion/relegation tension. How many teams are there now? Twelve? How many make the playoffs? Eight? What's the point of the regular season? Give me some drama, keep players on a team for more than one season so that I can start to identify players with teams, and then I will be excited when the season starts.
Jonathan Ezarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 10:53 PM   #28
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike
Actually, they are officially a sister club to Real Madrid. Their owner Dave Checketts mentioned it on WFAN the other day.

Interesting fact. How are they officially a sister club?

Who owns Real Madrid?
Old 04-03-2005, 04:10 AM   #29
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ezarik
I have a difficult time getting interested in this league. Players swap teams all the time for apparently no reason.
As far as I know, they generally only change teams in trades. There's not a lot of cases of players being released by one club and picked up by another.

Quote:
There is no transfer market (since the MLS owns all the teams)
Transfer sales are highly unusual in American sports -- in fact, MLB for one has very specific rules about the amount of cash that may be involved in a player transaction for reasons of competitive equity -- with player movement primarily happening through trades and free agency. You will see trades happen in MLS, but due to the single entity structure there isn't the same kind of free agent market as in the more established sports.

Quote:
and there is no promotion/relegation tension. How many teams are there now? Twelve? How many make the playoffs? Eight? What's the point of the regular season?
Pro/rel is a sticky subject; I hold that it will never happen in an American league because owners have too much invested to be willing to assume the additional risk, and the club structure will never develop to recreate pro/rel from the ground up the way I assume it arose in Europe. A large number of teams make the playoffs in order to keep drama in games late in the season; it substitutes for relegation battles in this regard.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Old 04-03-2005, 03:09 PM   #30
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ezarik
While I'm glad they got rid of the ridiculous Burn name, they should have named it Dallas FC. FC Dallas just sounds wrong. Now if they would just get rid of all the other stupid names. Columbus Crew? LA Galaxy? Just call them Columbus and Los Angeles.

I have a difficult time getting interested in this league. Players swap teams all the time for apparently no reason. There is no transfer market (since the MLS owns all the teams) and there is no promotion/relegation tension. How many teams are there now? Twelve? How many make the playoffs? Eight? What's the point of the regular season? Give me some drama, keep players on a team for more than one season so that I can start to identify players with teams, and then I will be excited when the season starts.

They should have named it Dallas SC, unless they're planning on playing in the Arena League at some point.
Old 04-03-2005, 05:43 PM   #31
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

So we have Real Madrid....do we have Chivas Regal?
Old 04-03-2005, 06:06 PM   #32
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by weinstein7
I wouldn't hold my breath on this one. The new stadium in Rochester, which is still years away from completion, is far smaller than the original plans, and is now most likely too small to host an MLS team. It's also in a crap part of town, instead of a great location across the street from the baseball stadium as they had originally planned. They really botched the whole thing, IMHO.

I can only dream.
Old 04-03-2005, 06:17 PM   #33
Flame Eater
H.S. Freshman Team

Did any of you see the RSL v Metrostars match last night? It ended in a 0-0 draw, but there were some very exciting moments.

The weather was the story of the match though! The wind was blowing so hard that passing was nearly impossible. Goal kicks were dying in mid-air and blowing back towards the goalie. It was probably one the most amazing "weather and sports" things I've ever seen.
Flame Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 07:00 PM   #34
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Interesting fact. How are they officially a sister club?

Who owns Real Madrid?

the hell if I know, but read this:

http://www.mlsnet.com/MLS/news/team_...=.jsp&team=slr
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 08:21 PM   #35
weinstein7
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike

Sounds to me like Checketts is talking out of his a$$.
weinstein7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 09:26 AM   #36
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan
I am making an effort to follow it more than I have in the past. I am looking forward to the season, and I will even try to go to some USL Div II matches for our new hometown Cincinnati Kings. I think as the talent gets deeper, which it seems to be, that the competition and interest will continue to rise.

I know some friends that are planning to go to a few Kings games as well. I might try to make it to a game myself... but more likely will try to go to a Crew game when possible.

I watched their game Sat. night (actually taped it and watched it last night), and the crowd was held down by the weather, but they looked really good... or the Galaxy looked bad. But the Crew defense looked strong, and hopefully they can make a run like they did last year. Either way, now that I have Fox Soccer Channel I'm planning to start paying a lot more attention to MLS, and hope that the quality of play will continue to rise, because the Crew-Galaxy game was pretty entertaining.
Old 04-04-2005, 02:53 PM   #37
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by weinstein7
Sounds to me like Checketts is talking out of his a$$.

Yeah, wishful thinking on his part. He makes it sound as if it is a unique deal between the two clubs, but really, there are a number of clubs with the 'Real' prefix in Spain, so, it is not as big of a deal as it would seem.

As for the MLS itself, if there was a team in Detroit, I'm sure I would follow it much more closely, probably even get season tickets. As it stands currently, there isn't any real advantage for me to watch the MLS; I've been to more Champions League games in the last year than I have ever been to MLS games, so I don't feel any sort of connection with it. I can get just as many games from England, Spain, and Italy on television now, so that isn't a factor either. Maybe over the summer, but at this point, it holds little interest.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 02:59 PM   #38
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

The "Real" in front of Salt Lake is just stupid. There is no deal with Real Madrid, but maybe it makes it sound better if there is. I mean the 'Real' stands for the royal mark (so to speak). Very strange in a country which has never had a royal family.

I'm interested to see what the MLS does this year. I used to be a Metrostars fan, but now I'll just root against that little bitch, Donovan .
Old 04-04-2005, 03:14 PM   #39
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Hey ISiddiqui, you never responded to my ping thread about your Newcastle boys
Old 04-04-2005, 03:34 PM   #40
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Ping thread?
Old 04-04-2005, 07:22 PM   #41
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

See, if you call it "Real", then all the Eurosnobs nod and agree at what a nice Euro-sounding name you've got. Whereas if you call it "Royal", which would make more sense language-wise since they're not a Spain-focused club AFAIK, everybody would realize how stupid it is. It's just Eurosnobbery run amok.

Old 04-04-2005, 09:38 PM   #42
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wednesday
See, if you call it "Real", then all the Eurosnobs nod and agree at what a nice Euro-sounding name you've got.

Um... no. All the "Eurosnobs" think the name is an abomination. Just because a team has a European sounding name doesn't mean all the Europhiles will embrace it and say how amazing it is when it definetly doesn't fit.

There is a HUGE difference between "Real Salt Lake" and, say, "FC Dallas", which does make sense.
Old 04-05-2005, 12:07 AM   #43
Jonathan Ezarik
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
Very strange in a country which has never had a royal family.

How dare you say that the Kennedy family is not royalty!
Jonathan Ezarik is offline   Reply With Quote