Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-26-2005, 03:29 PM   #1
bryce
High School Varsity

FM Transmitters for IPODs

I got an IPOD for Valentine's Day, and I finally got around to getting it all squared away, and I was looking for ways to also play the songs through my home stereo setup, and I found FM trasmitters at Bestbuy.com - can anyone vouch for their effectiveness, or have any other suggestions, yada?

Thanks in advance.

bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 03:53 PM   #2
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I haven't used one - I've heard mixed reviews...some people seem to have great luck with them, some don't.
Old 02-26-2005, 04:46 PM   #3
msugreen
n00b

I have the FM transmitter made by Monster (retails for around $70-80) and I love it. You are allowed to choose a frequency between 88.1 and 89.5 depending on if there is any stations using those frequencies in your area.

The only issue that I have discovered is the placement of the antenna on your vehicle. In my Altima, the antenna is in the back and I sometimes get interference but on our SUV the antenna is in the front and it works flawlessly.

PS - Forgot to mention that the model I have hooks into your cigarette lighter and acts as a charger, as well.
Old 02-26-2005, 04:53 PM   #4
Calis
College Starter

Just for your home stereo?

Any reason you can't get the stereo connectors instead of the FM Transmitters? If you can use the connector, do so no question they work perfectly and sound as good as your stero will soun..with the FM transmitter you will take a significant hit in sound quality, possibly REAL bad.

I have the DLO wireless transmitter in my car, but have only had it about a week. It really depends on your area how it'll do. It works without problems on mine, but the quality of sound is not what I was hoping for. Friend of mine has an iTrip and it works just about as well.

It's a case by case basis really.

I personally couldn't handle not having the car adapter for my iPod anymore.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 05:04 PM   #5
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

missed the home stereo part. yeah, go with Calis' suggestion of using wires.
Old 02-26-2005, 05:10 PM   #6
bryce
High School Varsity

Excellent, thanks, I wasn't aware there were stereo wire/connectors available... I'll definitely go that route.

Thanks again.

(I don't have much need for a car adaption b/c my car has an MP3 player, and I had already made MP3 discs for that - which made setting up the IPOD a breeze, I must say, b/c I already had all the folders on my computer with MP3 files - just had to drag and drop into Itunes...)
bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 06:07 PM   #7
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I could not get a clear signal at all with my FM adaptor. I got the local car audio place to put in aux. inputs into my car stereo. Works fine.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 01:13 AM   #8
AZSpeechCoach
College Prospect

Frickin' USB 2.0 requirement. My wife just got an Ipod Mini, and now it looks like I need to get a new computer just to run it (laptop is USB 1.1, desktop is 7+ years old). *(^^@%&E*^

Visit Stewart the Wonderbear and his amazing travels
http://wonderbeartravel.blogspot.com
AZSpeechCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 01:26 AM   #9
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Just get a USB 2.0 card. I got one for my laptop. It was like $50.
Old 02-27-2005, 01:45 AM   #10
Ragone
Pro Rookie

I get about a 50 foot radius on my itrip for my ipod (the manual says 30 feet but i think it depends on the conditions)

its a good investment (kinda cut out the need to get satellite radio for me)
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 11:21 AM   #11
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

For anyone wondering if you go to ipodlounge.com you can check out their forums for tips for home audio and car stereo set-ups for iPods, but most of the time tips can be applied to any MP3 player.

When I first got my Zen Xtra, I purchased a cheap $20 FM Transmitter so I could use it in the car... basiclly it sucked. You get really good sound quality one minute, and crap the next. So I ended up getting a $40 attachment for my Acura factory stereo that adds AUX inputs by using the CD changer slot on the back of the deck... you can also buy a new deck with AUX inputs but that would be more expensive. So now I have crystal clear sound... I'd recommend this method, if your factory stereo allows it, over a FM transmitter anyday.
Joe Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 11:54 AM   #12
AZSpeechCoach
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
Just get a USB 2.0 card. I got one for my laptop. It was like $50.

Hmmmm...you can do that? I may have something to do today.

Old 02-27-2005, 02:20 PM   #13
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZSpeechCoach
Frickin' USB 2.0 requirement. My wife just got an Ipod Mini, and now it looks like I need to get a new computer just to run it (laptop is USB 1.1, desktop is 7+ years old). *(^^@%&E*^

I have the USB 2.0/FireWire cable for my 20 GB iPod w/ dock connector, and I use that with a USB 1.1 port all the time. 2.0 is backwards compatible with 1.1, it's just slower is all.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 02:51 PM   #14
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragone
I get about a 50 foot radius on my itrip for my ipod (the manual says 30 feet but i think it depends on the conditions)

its a good investment (kinda cut out the need to get satellite radio for me)
I'm interested in your experiences. I have a TuneCast II with the multiple frequencies and I've found about five five frequencies that are "universal" in that they have the best signal all the time. The catch is that even these frequences have bad spots that pickup static in certain places (I-435 between Front Street and I-70, for example) and during certain times of day -- morning drive seems to be the worst.

I used a Sony cassette adaptor until that crapped out for some reason and switched to an old RCA adaptor I had that was horrible. I like the FM transimitter, but to me it's been worse than a really good cassette adaptor but better than a bad casette adaptor.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 02:55 PM   #15
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack
I have the USB 2.0/FireWire cable for my 20 GB iPod w/ dock connector, and I use that with a USB 1.1 port all the time. 2.0 is backwards compatible with 1.1, it's just slower is all.
Yes, you can use USB 1.1 with the iPod, but it voids your warranty. Apple won't say why, but I've heard people theorize that 1.1 ports may overheat the iPod in rare cases.

That said, if you want to upgrade an old PC to use your iPod, get a FireWire card to supplement your USB card or upgrade your USB card to a USB 2.0/Firewire dual card. FireWire ports are the best way to connect your iPod.

Last edited by kcchief19 : 02-27-2005 at 02:55 PM.
Old 02-27-2005, 03:31 PM   #16
Hurst2112
College Starter

You can go to any electronics store and buy a 6 dollar stereo 1/8" to rca (cinch) cable to run any ipod to a stereo that has inputs.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 06:13 PM   #17
AZSpeechCoach
College Prospect

I got a $25 USB 2.0 cardbus for the laptop. When I tried to plug the iPod into the 1.1 USB port last night, it just kept rebooting over and over. With the 2.0, it worked fine, although now we are having trouble registering the darn thing, as it "may take up to 24 hours for your Apple ID account to load." At least the wife is happy now.

Old 02-27-2005, 06:50 PM   #18
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19
I'm interested in your experiences. I have a TuneCast II with the multiple frequencies and I've found about five five frequencies that are "universal" in that they have the best signal all the time. The catch is that even these frequences have bad spots that pickup static in certain places (I-435 between Front Street and I-70, for example) and during certain times of day -- morning drive seems to be the worst.

I used a Sony cassette adaptor until that crapped out for some reason and switched to an old RCA adaptor I had that was horrible. I like the FM transimitter, but to me it's been worse than a really good cassette adaptor but better than a bad casette adaptor.

I drive 435 to the ford plant daily.. and i use 87.9 and i get no static.. also the thing you gotta watch out for is the volume setting on your ipod/mp3 player.. if you get above 60% on the ipod.. it'll be staticy.. use your car volume instead

General rule of thumb on picking a station is 1.0 empty in either direction is great.. .6 would suffice
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 07:28 PM   #19
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I've been hanging around here too long. The first thought that popped into my head when I read the thread title was "what the hell is a Football Manager transmitter and what will it do for an IPOD?".

Last edited by EagleFan : 02-27-2005 at 07:29 PM.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 10:23 PM   #20
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragone
I drive 435 to the ford plant daily.. and i use 87.9 and i get no static.. also the thing you gotta watch out for is the volume setting on your ipod/mp3 player.. if you get above 60% on the ipod.. it'll be staticy.. use your car volume instead

General rule of thumb on picking a station is 1.0 empty in either direction is great.. .6 would suffice
87.9 isn't bad. I've been using 91.1 with pretty good success. I think the instructions on the FM transmitters is a bit misleading -- I get poor reception using a frequency with no signal or all static. But if pick a frequency that has a real low signal, it works great. I usally have my volume on the iPod a rotation below 100% -- I find at about 60 percent I get a bit of a "hiss."

An amendment to my earlier reviews: I finally got my hands on a car adapter for my TuneCast II and the performance is tremendous -- little if any static unless I'm driving past a radio tower. Running on even fresh batteries is horrible, but the performance with the car adapter is exceptional.

Lesson: battery operation is a nice option, but get one with a car adapter for sure.