Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-23-2005, 10:48 PM   #1
Phoenix
Mascot

Which baseball sim to buy and why

thinking about getting one as the season draws near - which one do I get and why?

thanks

Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 11:02 PM   #2
SFL Cat
College Starter

Tony LaRussa 4 or Old Time Baseball .... never mind.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 11:07 PM   #3
st.cronin
General Manager

Wait for either SI or Solecismic to make one.
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 11:09 PM   #4
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

MVP for PC, Xbox, GC, or PS2.

If text sim.. well, right now it's Puresim and Baseball Mogul. I'm not really sure when OOTP is supposed to come out.

BBMogul looks like it is going to get patched until Clay and customers are happy. I've played the Puresim demo and liked what I saw - just not ready to take the plunge yet. A lot of people say Puresim is a solo players dream.

I have MVP for the Xbox, so Baseball Mogul is probably going to be my early text sim choice, just because of the simplicity of it and the sim speed of the game. Might be fun to take a terrible team and try to build them into contenders. The game sounds pretty challenging... knocking off the Yankees would be fun.

Both have demos - bbmogul's should be out soon.

Todd

Last edited by MizzouRah : 03-23-2005 at 11:09 PM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 11:33 PM   #5
SFL Cat
College Starter

I've downloaded and tried the Puresim demo. It's decent, but the version I'm using definitely has bug issues that have kept me from really getting into it (although I haven't checked for the latest, greatest patch). Give it a try, though....it's a free fully functional demo.

If you're interested in replays rather than career sims, you might try Diamond Mind Baseball. It's pricey, but it's pretty accurate as far as results and the stats it generates.

Last edited by SFL Cat : 03-23-2005 at 11:34 PM.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:47 PM   #6
jbmagic
Pro Starter

OOTP 6.12 is pretty good too.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 11:54 PM   #7
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
OOTP 6.12 is pretty good too.

I would second OOTP. I know that there is a newer version, but judging from CM4 and EHM, I would wait until they work some of the kinks out of the new engine before I take the plunge on that version. For right now 6.12 is good and the engine is at the top of its game.

I also grew up with Strat-O-Matic. I havn't been able to afford to keep up with the games as they developed but I love the game. It is a season simulator very similar to Diamond Mind.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 12:05 AM   #8
weinstein7
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFL Cat

I was going to say Earl Weaver Baseball. One of my all-time favorites. I remember agonizing over EWB2 and Larussa 3 (?) at a computer store before finally going with Earl Weaver. Just a fantastic game (I never played LaRussa, I hear it was also phenomenal, possibly even the better of the two.)
weinstein7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 06:02 AM   #9
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Baseball Simulator 1.000 Or Baseball Stars?
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 06:32 AM   #10
condors
College Starter

If i could only play 1 baseball sim, until i see ootp i would go with diamond mind. Mogul only being 20 dollars and found memories makes it an easy purchase.
condors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 07:55 AM   #11
Bo Jackson's Hip
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:

Did everyone else also have Old Time Baseball back in the day. It was pretty fun, but was always unstable for me.
Bo Jackson's Hip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 10:14 AM   #12
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

DMB is a REPLAY sim, remember that. No career play... and way overpriced, imo.

Todd
Old 03-24-2005, 10:15 AM   #13
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Jackson's Hip
Did everyone else also have Old Time Baseball back in the day. It was pretty fun, but was always unstable for me.

I had LaRussa 3 and OTB. Enjoyed playing it in college...even used the utils and played in a league a time or two. Loads of fun...
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 10:18 AM   #14
Klinglerware
College Starter

I still play Haffner every now and then...
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 10:25 AM   #15
weinstein7
High School JV

And then there's always MicroLeague Baseball.

I think that and Erving vs. Bird were the first two PC sports games I ever played.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:30 AM   #16
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Eddie Dombrower, the programmer of the Earl Weaver series, was working on an updated version. But sadly, it appears he has abandoned the project. The url is bangbangplay.com. I was really looking forward to seeing this being finsihed.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 10:33 AM   #17
weinstein7
High School JV

Yeah, I actually found and installed that a while ago.

It's not bad, but as you say, he apparently lost interest or something midway through.

Also, it reminded me of all the drawbacks of EWB that my selective memory had ignored

I think my favorite "bug" in the game was that if you got into a rundown, you could keep it going for a while and eventually the game would lose interest and just send you back to your original base.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:55 AM   #18
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I still played manage-mode EWB, with season stats I hand-entered, right through about the mid-to-late 90s. If I still had my old Amiga (and it was working) I'd probably still be playing it today.
Old 03-24-2005, 02:52 PM   #19
weinstein7
High School JV

I used to have a league on EWB2 in which i played every game myself, and every 5 or 10 games I would write down the league leaders in a neat little notebook (and I have TERRIBLE handwriting, so doing this took almost as long as actually playing the games).

Then I found the Commissioner's Pack add-on which had some amazing features, including compiling league leaders and such. I remember I used it to artificially impose a salary cap, and then use the players from teams that were over the cap to construct the Rockies and Marlins. Good times. Amazing how many games these days don't have half the features of these old classics.
Old 03-28-2005, 12:10 AM   #20
Phoenix
Mascot

thanks - I want career play options and quick sims - challenging and realistic
Old 03-28-2005, 02:17 AM   #21
sooner333
College Starter

Base Wars.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 07:12 AM   #22
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I have bought the last 2 or 3 OOTP's, and I think I am done. They have a very short play life for me, and when I try to go back I just can't get hooked. It is not the sport, because I like baseball very much and I think it was MicroLeague baseball that was one of my first sim's that I loved. There is just something missing with OOTP for me.

I think if I get a baseball game again, I will go with PureSim, but that may not be until next year or more.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:18 AM   #23
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer
I have bought the last 2 or 3 OOTP's, and I think I am done. They have a very short play life for me, and when I try to go back I just can't get hooked. It is not the sport, because I like baseball very much and I think it was MicroLeague baseball that was one of my first sim's that I loved. There is just something missing with OOTP for me.

I think if I get a baseball game again, I will go with PureSim, but that may not be until next year or more.

Ditto. Maybe once baseball season starts I will be able to get hooked again though....
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 07:31 AM   #24
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer

Same really.. really anything from ootp family or lapdog.. or whatever they call themselves now.. oh yea.. greydog.. isn't a autobuy anymore like it once was..

At this point, i think the only sports text sim that would be a future autobuy would be a new fbcb.. or a new tcy/fof
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 09:10 AM   #25
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Well, I finally got around to giving 6.12 a whirl (ootp) and I like it thus far. Teams hording cash actually spend money now! Yippee!!

Todd
Old 03-28-2005, 10:16 AM   #26
condors
College Starter

actually greydog with Total Pro Basketball and Wrestling Spirit i have both games and enjoy them both
condors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 05:30 PM   #27
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Which would be best, not for solo play, but for a multi-player league?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 05:38 PM   #28
SFL Cat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner333
Base Wars.
Hmmmm...I've got to confess, that's one I'm not familiar with.
Old 03-28-2005, 06:06 PM   #29
Galaril
Pro Starter

Don't get Baseball mogul 2k6 I didn't and though it is agreat game the support sucks .The developer nver responds to any enquiries.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 06:45 PM   #30
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:
Hmmmm...I've got to confess, that's one I'm not familiar with.

It's an NES game where you play baseball with fighting robots and if there is a play at a base you can fight for it.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 06:47 PM   #31
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner333
It's an NES game where you play baseball with fighting robots and if there is a play at a base you can fight for it.

If I remember right, there was a really slow guy with a giant machine gun. Who cares if he was slow- he always won the battle for close bases.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 07:44 PM   #32
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

http://www.crippeoblade.co.uk/
Bubba Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 09:05 PM   #33
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i'm cautiosuly optomistic about the first version of OOTP that will come through SI. I think that may make it more immersive for me, but then again if that doesn't get great reviews I may hold off one generation until it's better incorporated.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 05:47 AM   #34
crippeoblade
n00b

Thanks, for the linkage bubba. Just out of curiosity have you got any feedback on the my early work so far? I was never happy with any of the current sims available. Don't get me wrong alot of them are very playable but I felt they didn't have the complete experience. So I set out to create my own.
crippeoblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 07:32 AM   #35
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crippeoblade
Thanks, for the linkage bubba. Just out of curiosity have you got any feedback on the my early work so far? I was never happy with any of the current sims available. Don't get me wrong alot of them are very playable but I felt they didn't have the complete experience. So I set out to create my own.

No, looks like the whole thing is brand, spanking new...which makes it an interesting thing to take a look at. Best of luck, I'll be looking more in depth myself as time permits.
Bubba Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote