Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-20-2005, 08:49 AM   #1
Galaril
Pro Starter

Firefox ?

I have started using firefox but was wondering something. It is really fast browsing once it's started up .However, it takes like 1 minute to 1 1/2 minutes to start up is there something that I need to tweak to get this start up faster.

Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 09:21 AM   #2
RendeR
Coordinator

Dunno man, I've never had that sort of delay with it starting. it takes longer than IE or netscape to fully load up but nowhere near that long.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 09:21 AM   #3
Danny
Head Coach

It only takes me a couple of seconds.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 09:45 AM   #4
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Galaril,

Understand that Firefox will not be faster in loading up on Windows than Internet Explorer since IE is integrated into the operating system. But it should be just as fast as any other non-MS app you have.

I believe there is a small tweak you can put on your shortcut to pre-load the application. Here is a link with the information.

http://www.tweakxp.com/article140077.aspx
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 01:50 PM   #5
Karim
College Starter

Never had this problem; it only takes a few seconds to load on a middle-of-the-road system.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 02:37 PM   #6
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I've never had the "long-load" problem either, with any program except Trillian, which takes forever and a day. On a side note, you can make Firefox go a bit faster to load pages pretty easily (you can even do it in another tab so you can keep these directions up here and flip back and forth between the tabs). I swiped this from another forum I'm a part of.

This tweak makes your Firefox browser considerably faster. Just follow the easy steps below

1. Type about:config into the address bar and hit return.

2. Alter the entries as follows (by double clicking each entry):
  • Set network.http.pipelining to true

Set network.http.proxy.pipelining to true

Set network.http.pipelining.maxrequests to 2

3. Lastly right-click anywhere and select New -> Integer.
  • Name it nglayout.initialpaint.delay and set its value to 0. This value is the amount of time the browser waits before it acts on information it recieves.
If you're using a broadband connection you'll load pages 2-3 times faster now, even if you have a dial-up connection it will still be faster than before!

tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 02:41 PM   #7
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin
On a side note, you can make Firefox go a bit faster to load pages pretty easily (you can even do it in another tab so you can keep these directions up here and flip back and forth between the tabs). I swiped this from another forum I'm a part of.

http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/~fof/for...ad.php?t=34022

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 02:45 PM   #8
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Ok, I could have swiped it from here, too, it seems. Either way, it seemed relevant to bring it up again.

/tk

P.S. For the record, I've had these settings since even before your post on FOFC, from the other site I grabbed it from
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 07:53 PM   #9
lytic
College Benchwarmer

any clue what step 2 is doing? I'm too lazy to look it up myself.
Hattrick Moderator (since Season 22)
Evil Gargs' Hater (since Season 18)
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--
My Pro Soccer Story
lytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 08:09 PM   #10
Tigercat
College Starter

In stupid computer people speak, and I am one so i can't speak any other way, its the number of times your computer is requesting to recieve the webpage I believe. Its odd though cause tk's has it at 2, while I've seen it at 20 or 30 other places.

I've played around with it some on my computer, and found that my old model 500PIII works best at 15 requests, so I guess your results may vary? Perhaps 30 was too many for an older computer with dialup, but with a fast computer and DSL the more requests might be better. Two might be too little, however, because even my slow ass piece of crap worked better at 15 rather than 10.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 08:10 PM   #11
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lytic
any clue what step 2 is doing? I'm too lazy to look it up myself.

I'm also wondering exactly what this is doing and if there are drawbacks to these settings.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 09:19 PM   #12
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

tk's is at 2 because that is the maximum that setting should ever have. A higher number seriously abuses the server and may lead to action by the server admin. I think it's the somethingawful forums where I saw a more complete explanation of just how this is bad.

The only drawback to enabling pipelining and setting the max connections to 2 is that there may be some old/misconfigured servers that don't support it properly, IIRC.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 09:25 PM   #13
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wednesday
tk's is at 2 because that is the maximum that setting should ever have. A higher number seriously abuses the server and may lead to action by the server admin. I think it's the somethingawful forums where I saw a more complete explanation of just how this is bad.

The only drawback to enabling pipelining and setting the max connections to 2 is that there may be some old/misconfigured servers that don't support it properly, IIRC.

Thanks for the info, I might give 2 for a while then just to see how it compares at least. But there are lots of people out there with high numbers, because many of these firefox fixes tell them to put the number "at least at 30"
Old 03-20-2005, 09:33 PM   #14
ageofquarrel
H.S. Freshman Team

Been using it for 2 weeks now. Firefox crashed and now I lost all my bookmarks is there a way to get them back.
ageofquarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 09:51 PM   #15
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

I think a lot of these firefox fixes don't realize the kind of havoc it can wreak on the server side. All they see is their pages loading faster.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Old 03-20-2005, 09:55 PM   #16
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Dola, reading the FAQ at somethingawful, it's clear that a general "maximum requests" setting should not exceed 2, but less clear what happens with that pipelining setting. I think I got the settings confused... a larger number of pipelined requests should not be a problem for the server unless it exceeds an HTTP spec. Sorry about the confusion.

(But by all means, do not exceed the maximum of two connections, that really does do bad things to servers.)

Edit: FAQ thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/sho...readid=1140297

Last edited by Mr. Wednesday : 03-20-2005 at 09:57 PM.
Old 03-20-2005, 09:56 PM   #17
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

ageofquarrel,

Do a search on your pc for "bookmarks.html". If you can find that file then that may help you. That is where it stores all of the bookmarks.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 10:21 PM   #18
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wednesday
I think a lot of these firefox fixes don't realize the kind of havoc it can wreak on the server side. All they see is their pages loading faster.

Sonuvabitch! Sounds like I've been supporting terrorism again.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 10:31 PM   #19
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar

Technically you are the terrorist in this situation. So I wouldn't worry, at least you are being a man and doing it yourself.
Old 03-20-2005, 10:52 PM   #20
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Do make sure you read my followup -- I might have been confusing a pipelining setting (which may not be a problem) with the maximum connections setting, which pretty definitely is a problem.

Old 03-20-2005, 11:17 PM   #21
Karim
College Starter

I just recently downloaded v. 1.0.1 and the default setting has maxrequests set at 4. Doing the above has increased the speed of page loading.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 02:26 PM   #22
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar

HAHAHAHA!

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote