Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-20-2005, 11:06 AM   #1
Easy Mac

Get unwrapped Itunes songs

Obviously by now you've heard of PyMusique, the client that lets you download non-DRM'ed Itunes songs. So what are your thoughts? You still have to pay for music, but its just a little easier to play it everywhere (i.e. no more burning and ripping to a CD, you can just straight convert in Itunes for compatibility.)

I personally don't have a problem with DRM. It sucks I can't play WMA files on my Ipod, but Itunes has most of the music I need anyway, and I don't really want to rent my music a la Napster. I look at it like comparing CD's and records. You can't put a record in a CD player and expect it to play, nor can you put a wma on an ipod and expect it to play. Its different formats. Just like records, there's ways you can get music to other formats, but its not overly easy and takes work (Line-in to a CD recorder, burn/rip for computers). I just see it as the next logical progression from the past. And seriously, if burning 7 copies of the exact same playlist (the limit in Itunes, I think) somehow stops you from listening to your music, I feel bad for you.

*cue the, but the music industry is bad people, so its ok*

edit:
Link just in case you haven't heard

Last edited by Easy Mac : 03-20-2005 at 11:07 AM.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 11:12 AM   #2
Peregrine
Pro Starter

To be honest I'm not sure what the DRM in iTunes really consists of. I mean, it's not like you can't share it between different people already.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 11:13 AM   #3
Easy Mac

In theory, if you strip the DRM, someone could make a client (napster of old) to share intunes encoded files (I think .m4a)

edit:
because of the DRM, even if someone built said client, music couldn't be played on everyone's computer, because the code inside is set specifically for your machine.

Last edited by Easy Mac : 03-20-2005 at 11:14 AM.
Old 03-20-2005, 11:15 AM   #4
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Is there a reason to do that? Not sure I'm getting what the point of this is.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 11:16 AM   #5
Easy Mac

So that you can have complete portability (bs, its so you can file share). Itunes also lets you convert non-encryped Itunes files to Mp3s. This is supposed to have better quality than burning and ripping a CD.
Old 03-20-2005, 03:48 PM   #6
SackAttack
Head Coach

The drawback is that doing this sort of thing won't encourage the music companies to provide music without DRM. It'll just convince them that the entire digital business model is unworkable, and push them to litigation and an even stauncher refusal to move beyond the CD business model.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote