Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-16-2004, 10:24 PM   #1
Kam
H.S. Freshman Team

I, Robot

I enjoyed this movie much more than Spiderman 2.

Will Smith is very good at playing this type of smart-ass detective out to save the world.

The script was nice, lots of hints of what was to come, and almost of it fit in to the movie (the one exception is the kid in the beginning).

Very good graphics and a good story.

A definite see.

Kam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 10:54 PM   #2
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kam
I enjoyed this movie much more than Spiderman 2..

Just got home from the theater. As I walked out, I told my dad the same thing.

I liked how the story developed with some very interesting twists thrown in.

Some very cool action scenes and one great line by Will Smith's character. You'll know what I mean when you see the film.
Old 07-16-2004, 10:59 PM   #3
Kam
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22
Some very cool action scenes and one great line by Will Smith's character. You'll know what I mean when you see the film.

*cough*?
Kam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 11:02 PM   #4
vex
Grizzled Veteran

I'm seeing it Monday
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 11:12 PM   #5
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kam
*cough*?

*sneeze*
Old 07-17-2004, 01:11 AM   #6
timmynausea
College Starter

Will Smith sucks. Hard.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 01:12 AM   #7
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea
Will Smith sucks. Hard.

Jada must be a lucky women then.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 02:26 AM   #8
LionsFan10
High School Varsity

This "robots taking over the world" thing is getting way too played out now a days if you ask me. It started with the original Terminator back in the '80's, then movies like the Matrix and now I, Robot? I'm sure I'm missing plenty of mainstream movies that have a very similar plot but to me robots are becoming the Russian/Chinese/Communists of the 2k era you know?
Old 07-17-2004, 03:29 AM   #9
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

"AW HELL NAW"

Will Smith funny.
Old 07-17-2004, 05:19 AM   #10
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionsFan10
This "robots taking over the world" thing is getting way too played out now a days if you ask me.

You objection is . . . noted. :click:
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 08:28 AM   #11
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

we're going tonight. my mom's coming for the weekend, so we figured we'd take advantage of the built in babysitter and take in a movie. my wife is a big Will Smith fan, and when she heard his bare butt might be in it, that pretty much sealed the deal.

I know nothing of this movie (and don't want to), so it's nice to hear it's ok.
Old 07-17-2004, 08:37 AM   #12
Taur
High School Varsity

Quote:
This "robots taking over the world" thing is getting way too played out now a days if you ask me.
Your telling me. I also hate movies that have people in them. This idea of movies and people has been done to death.
Old 07-17-2004, 10:28 AM   #13
Barkeep49
Coordinator

From the the NYTimes Review

Quote:
When robots finally take over the world (assuming they haven't already) we will not be able to say we weren't warned. Every year, Hollywood studios present dire scenarios in which androids, computers and artificial-intelligence applications run amok and enslave the human race, but the public never seems to get the message. Perhaps "I, Robot," a hectic, half-baked science-fiction thriller that opens today nationwide, will succeed where the "Terminator" and "Matrix" movies failed, and alert us to the grave danger that our innocent-looking toasters, vacuum cleaners, smart cars and laptop computers really pose.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 10:36 AM   #14
clintl
College Starter

I haven't seen it, but this movie sounds about as anti-Asimovian as a movie about robots could possibly get.
clintl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 12:15 PM   #15
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
This "robots taking over the world" thing is getting way too played out now a days if you ask me. It started with the original Terminator back in the '80's, then movies like the Matrix and now I, Robot? I'm sure I'm missing plenty of mainstream movies that have a very similar plot but to me robots are becoming the Russian/Chinese/Communists of the 2k era you know?

Well, considering the book was written in 1950...
Surtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 12:36 PM   #16
bbor
Pro Starter

Looking forward to seeing this.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 02:41 PM   #17
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

I just came back from "I, Robot" and I was pleasantly surprised. Yes, the genre is a bit overdone, but it stays close to Asimov's vision according to my friends who are big Asimov fans. It's an entertaining action movie with a bit of mystery added. Overall a quality Summer film.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 11:08 PM   #18
Taur
High School Varsity

WOW, I am beginning to get excited. If you can get through all the B.S. in this thread you will notice that there is not a single negative review from people that have actually seen this movie. Not even LOTR could say that.

I will definitely be catching this flick this week.
Old 07-17-2004, 11:31 PM   #19
Malificent
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_meanstrosity
I just came back from "I, Robot" and I was pleasantly surprised. Yes, the genre is a bit overdone, but it stays close to Asimov's vision according to my friends who are big Asimov fans. It's an entertaining action movie with a bit of mystery added. Overall a quality Summer film.

Really? Robots running amuck and killing people seems about as far away from Asimov's vision of robots as you can get. Hmmmm...
Malificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 11:48 PM   #20
clintl
College Starter

I'm mystified by that comment as well. Asimov was the ultimate technophile, and I don't remember anything remotely like that happening in any of the robot stories I have read. It has been a long time since I read them, so maybe I forgot, or maybe I've just been mislead about the film, but something is not adding up.
clintl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 11:53 PM   #21
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

I, Sun Tzu...

what?
Old 07-18-2004, 12:35 AM   #22
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malificent
Really? Robots running amuck and killing people seems about as far away from Asimov's vision of robots as you can get. Hmmmm...

Not to give anything away, but you might want to check out the film first. You might be pleasently surprised.
Old 07-18-2004, 01:00 AM   #23
Malificent
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22
Not to give anything away, but you might want to check out the film first. You might be pleasently surprised.

That's good to hear - I'm certainly willing to give it a shot.
Malificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 06:51 AM   #24
cincyreds
High School Varsity

I went to see it last night. I enjoyed the action and thought the storyline was good.

I thought that some of the language was uncalled for but that is just me.

If you haven't seen it, go see it. Highly recommended for adults. Not for kids 10 and under, which I happened to see alot of while viewing.

Next week is the Bourne Supremecy which looks great!
Old 07-18-2004, 07:17 AM   #25
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

my wife and I went last night too. we rarely see movies in theaters (last one was ROTK) because they often are dissapointing. but this one was pretty good. I wasn't really expecting a lot, but I was pleasantly surprised.

not a great one, but a good one
Old 07-18-2004, 10:35 AM   #26
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

clintl and malificent,

I'm just telling you what I've heard from a couple of Asimov fans. I'm assuming it's because of the three laws and the robot named Sonny and not because of the robots taking over.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 12:34 PM   #27
TroyF
Coordinator

Perhaps "I, Robot," a hectic, half-baked science-fiction thriller that opens today nationwide, will succeed where the "Terminator" and "Matrix" movies failed, and alert us to the grave danger that our innocent-looking toasters, vacuum cleaners, smart cars and laptop computers really pose.

That wasn't "Terminator" or "Matrix"

That's Maximum Overdrive.

Be afraid of the soda/pop/coke machine, be very afraid.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 05:57 PM   #28
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Uck... I can't willingly pay money for a movie which seems to have taken Asimov's great book and butchers it (at least from the trailers and what people on other forums have said about it... Asimov's robots in "I, Robot" don't go bezerk and start killing people willy-nilly). I'll wait for it on HBO, if I watch it at all.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 07-18-2004 at 05:59 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 06:08 PM   #29
SFL Cat
College Starter

Well, it certainly isn't better than Spiderman 2 IMO, but it was worth a look. Haven't read Asimov's Robot stories since college, but it seems like the movie is more of a kit-bash of several Asimov tales...the one that stands out the most is Caves of Steel.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 07:26 PM   #30
ageofquarrel
H.S. Freshman Team

Took my Dad to see it while my mom is on vacation. He thought it was stupid and I thought it was ok. We should have went to see Anchorman instead. But I did see the Aliens Vs Predator preview now that looks sweet. I pray that they dont butcher it.
ageofquarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 04:22 PM   #31
Schedule Junkie
n00b

As I understand it, the only reason the movie got called "I, Robot" was because the rights to the title of Asimov's book became available and the producers bought the rights and slapped the title on the film. During production the film had a completely different title (which I unfortunately forget at the moment), and in any event it was not supposed to be an actual translation of any of Asimov's books to the screen.
Old 07-20-2004, 04:35 PM   #32
BillyPilgrim
n00b

Asimov's robots did take over the world. A robot was elected world controller, and five or six positronic brains were given the task of planning for the world. They ended up creating problems for people to fix to make humans feel useful, but they had effectively taken over. Since the slow takeover of humanity by robots through elections and world planning would make a boring movie, the way it was done was pretty good, I thought, and fairly close to Asimov's vision.

While I'm typing, I don't think Asimov was really all that much of a technophile. Most sci-fi, especially the stuff from the 40's and 50's, were stories of technology gone wrong/being used in a harmful manner. In one of Asimov's robot detective books, he talks about human settlements in space that took robots along, and every settlement failed (e.g. the people died) due to apathy. The humans became bored with nothing to do.
BillyPilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 11:01 AM   #33
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Hmm...this is sounding like that Simpsons episode where the audio-animatronic robots at Itchy-and-Scratchy-Land go berzerk and rampage....
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 01:07 AM   #34
Franklinnoble
Banned

Just saw this movie tonight on DVD (I hadn't seen it in the theaters... tough to go out with a toddler in tow).

I really, really enjoyed it. The plot was solid, and the story remained suspenseful without using stupid tricks to do so. Will Smith's character was pretty well developed, although some of the other folks were left wanting (not that there was much room for any more).

I never read any of Asimov's work (yeah, I know... revoke my geek card), so I can't comment on how it related to the book of the same name. I can say that much of the plot seemed borrowed from the Terminator series (at least, some of the central points - massive artificial intelligence overtakes the world), but I think that I, Robot presented that "vision" much better than The Terminator or The Matrix (which were good movies that got milked a little too hard - for that reason, I hope I, Robot remains a stand-alone film).

The "individual/human" artificial intelligence aspect was also handled better (and with much less tedium) than movies like A.I. and Bicentennial Man. In that regard, I really liked the movie.

Overall, I'd say it's definately worth renting, for those of you who haven't seen it yet.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 05:30 AM   #35
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I remember enjoying it despite being in a theater with a bunch of people who wouldn't shut up. And I don't mean *whisper* *whisper* *whisper* or the occasional lean over and talk to girlfriend talking. I mean full out "BLAH BLAH BLAH. THAT ROBOT CAN'T DO THAT" and "THIS MOVIE'S STUPID" crap all throughout the entire movie. And when about half the theater told them to shut up, one of them was mouthing off "MAKE ME" and stuff like that until someone sucked up to her and asked her to be quiet. But I digress... Movie was fun, unexpectedly so, for Will Smith doing Sci-Fi/Action which he's building a decent "portfolio" of movies (Independence Day, MIB, now this).

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 09:34 AM   #36
Bomber
High School Varsity

You people have the worst taste in movies. This thread is great. Thanks for the laugh.
Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 09:53 AM   #37
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber
You people have the worst taste in movies. This thread is great. Thanks for the laugh.

Haven't seen it, so can't comment on it, but I reckon you'd prefer this take on the film....

hxxp://maddox.xmission.com/c.cgi?u=bill_oreilly
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 11:37 AM   #38
IMetLyleAlzado
n00b

Movie vs the Book

For those of you who have not read much or any Asimov, and in particular I, Robot, the movie has nothing at all to do with anything Asimov ever wrote.

From what I remember reading when the movie was originally released, it was a script in search of a title. The Studio owned the rights to I, Robot, and decided to combine the unrelated script with a popular series of short stories. About the only input from the book was the Three Rules of Robotics, and a couple of character names.
IMetLyleAlzado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 12:01 PM   #39
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

One of science fiction's greatest traits is that it takes a look around and extrapolates. One of the results is the classic "what if" story (ie, not Star Wars and its ilk).

Right now we can look around and see how "robots" or technology are all ready ruling the world. If every piece of electronics in the world right now stopped working or gained autonomy over their human creators, the civilized world would collapse.

Saying that there are too many "robots take over" movies out is like saying there are too many love story movies or [insert genre here]. While I highly doubt that a Terminator-like A.I. could be around any time soon (we can barely keep our PCs from blue-screening), in time, replicating the complex functions of the human brain are not only possible but inevitable.

Since the micro processors debut a few decades ago, the speeds and capacities of our current processors and storage media are astounding. Not too long ago I was using a state-of-the-art 200 MHz pentium and now they are at 4 GHz.

It is interesting to see projects like MIT's COG and their attempts to create a human-like being via software and the problems they are having. Simple things that seem so natural to us are proving to be big obsticles for programmers. But, someday they will figure it out. Someday they will create these systems that may become too smart for our own good. Someday we may find ourselves waking up in a red tinted ooze with hoses attached to our bodies. Just remember to take the red pill.
Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 02:01 PM   #40
Desnudo
Coordinator

No offense to anyone who liked this movie, but I thought the acting in it was horrendous, especially Will Smith. Some of the lines were so bad I winced. I thought the story itself had a lot of potential, but, man the lines were just so bad it ruined the movie for me. Whoever wrote the dialogue should never work again and hang their head in shame.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 02:05 PM   #41
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo
No offense to anyone who liked this movie, but I thought the acting in it was horrendous, especially Will Smith. Some of the lines were so bad I winced. I thought the story itself had a lot of potential, but, man the lines were just so bad it ruined the movie for me. Whoever wrote the dialogue should never work again and hang their head in shame.

The only trailer from the movie i've seen (or heard) was Will saying "Oh, hell no!" which came out sounding like "Ah, hay'll nah!" and that makes me insane. Reminded me of his Independence Day role which was ick-a-licious to me.
Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 02:25 PM   #42
Desnudo
Coordinator

That's about the sum of it. Will Smith has become the Al Pacino of action heroes. "Hoo-rah!"
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 09:51 PM   #43
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Dredging up a moderately old thread: bought the DVD a couple of weeks ago, and finally got a chance to watch this last night. In preparation, I re-read "I, Robot" a week or so ago.

The movie actually did a pretty good job of capturing the feeling of the book. Lots of tidbits from the book come through in the movie, and they did a pretty good job of modernizing it. Sure, the end is a bit overdone from an action standpoint, but still not bad at all. It strikes me as more of a "what if the first planning brain went a bit insane?" twist on it than a complete bastardization of what Asmiov wrote. Asimov even talks about a series of robots (I'd have to double-check the books, but I thought they were Nestors) that had the 3 laws modified for specific purposes, much like Sonny in the movie.

Overall, I enjoyed it, and thought it did a better job of capturing the source material than a lot of Hollywood "licenses" do. I was not expecting that.
Old 02-20-2005, 09:59 PM   #44
-Mojo Jojo-
High School Varsity

Just saw this film last week as well. It had some awful dialog (writing and delivery both), many cliche movie moments, a number of gaping plot holes... and yet was entertaining It's a simple, fun movie.
-Mojo Jojo- is offline   Reply With Quote