Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Do you believe that Mark McGwire used steroids?
Yes, I definitely believe he did. 60 43.80%
I believe he probably used steroids. 52 37.96%
I believe he was probably clean. 20 14.60%
No, I definitely believe he was clean. 5 3.65%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-18-2005, 02:40 PM   #51
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos
Basically, I was just saying that I think McGwire seems to get more benefit of the doubt than folks like Bonds and Sosa, and one theory would be it is because he is white. I suspect of lot of the "benefit" for McGwire comes from the fact that he generally seems more likable than Bonds, and to a lesser degree, he's also more likable than Sosa (even before the corking incident).

I do think the biggest reason people tend to accuse Bonds more quickly than McGwire is because he is perceived as a jerk. However his situation is also even more unusal than McGwire's. While McGwire did have a crazy jump in production later in his career he did seem to be building towards it more than Bonds was. A quick look at Bonds AB/HR numbers:

Code:
Year Age AB/HR 1986 21 25.8 1987 22 22.0 1988 23 22.4 1989 24 30.5 1990 25 15.7 1991 26 20.4 1992 27 13.9 1993 28 11.7 1994 29 10.5 1995 30 15.3 1996 31 12.3 1997 32 13.3 1998 33 14.9 1999 34 10.4 2000 35 9.8 2001 36 6.5 2002 37 8.8 2003 38 8.6 2004 39 8.3

So Bonds clearly hit his peak at 35. And seems to keep getting better. 8.3 at 39???? Bonds jump was at an older age than McGwire and was more drastic than McGwire's. I think that also plays a very big part in why Bonds is accused more quickly than McGwire.

When you watched McGwire play over the years you believed it was possible he might break 62 some day. People never thought that about Bonds. He has established himself as an elite hitter, but one that topped out at about 45 HRs a year. FWIW I don;t think Griffey would have ever had the accusations Bonds did if he had kept prgressing towards the record like he was.

Also a quick note on AB/HR vs. PA/HR. I don't think those numbers are as useful with Bonds and McGwire (especially Bonds). Sure they both became more patient hitters as they got older. Most players do, but the real reason the numbers level off is no one was willing to give them a pitch hit. That's why the AB/HR number is so impressive for both of them. They rarely ever got much to hit, but when they did they destroyed it.

primelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 07:41 PM   #52
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangarion
Between the 80s-00s MLB expanded from 26-30 teams. This in turn diluted the pitching talent in baseball. Along with this there is the whole "juiced ball theory" which I think goes with the fact that the MLB wanted to get people interested in baseball again after the strike.

These could all be factors that could contribute the the rise in his and the rest of MLBs rise in hr/ab.

That would be my response to Rick's post as well. It puts his 34- and 35-yr old years in context. By itself, I would tend to lean that he shot up with more powerful stuff but given the context, I don't know.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 11:55 PM   #53
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

He did it. His fellow bash brothers did it.

People have accused Giambi of taking steroids. He denied it, but later admitted it.

People have accused Bonds of taking steroids. He denied it, but turns out he took them (but just didn't know he was, yeah right)

People have accused McGwire of taking steroids. He denied it, . .. . . . (starting to see a pattern here)

Frankly, I've seen enough to know that I don't believe any players or MLB about it anymore.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 01:23 AM   #54
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn&TheLions
This is why I like Sammy Sosa. He got his home runs the old-fashioned way... He corked his bat!

That's awesome

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 01:23 AM   #55
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinatieri for Prez
He did it. His fellow bash brothers did it.

People have accused Giambi of taking steroids. He denied it, but later admitted it.

People have accused Bonds of taking steroids. He denied it, but turns out he took them (but just didn't know he was, yeah right)

People have accused McGwire of taking steroids. He denied it, . .. . . . (starting to see a pattern here)

Frankly, I've seen enough to know that I don't believe any players or MLB about it anymore.

This is why I like Sammy Sosa. He got his home runs the old-fashioned way... He corked his bat!