Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-10-2005, 03:52 PM   #1
lurker
High School JV

Snowblowers

Can anybody recommend a good one? I want to get one for my dad's birthday, and I figured there should be lots on sale right now. But it looks like the best deal out there is for an electric Toro one for $300. How much is too little or too much to pay? Anybody done any research so that I won't have to?

Also, I'm thinking of getting it through Amazon (or even Sears or something, but online) so I can ship it to my parents out of state, but I'm worried that there might be problems in the future with it and they won't be able to take it back to the store. Anybody have any bad experiences with these kind of purchases online?

Last edited by lurker : 02-10-2005 at 04:16 PM.
lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 04:17 PM   #2
Franklinnoble
Banned

What's the over/under on the appearance of a "Snowballers" parody thread?
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 04:38 PM   #3
Dutch
"Dutch"

I was thinking whistleblowers....
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 04:47 PM   #4
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I just got the Toro Power Curve 1800 (which is probably the one you're thinking of for $300). Works like a champ, but probably won't handle routine 2+ foot snows. However, as I'm in the Chicago area, this generally isn't a problem.

Where does your Dad live?

I got mine from here ( http://www.valleypower.com/torelsnowsho.html ) where it is on sale for $269. Had no problems with the vendor.

Good luck!
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 04:54 PM   #5
ageofquarrel
H.S. Freshman Team

What one are you looking at? I would recommend something with an electric start(Used to have a pull start it sucked). I would also make sure that it is self propeled.
ageofquarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 04:58 PM   #6
lurker
High School JV

Hey, I live in Chicago too! Is MS Paint a suburb on the north side? My dad lives in Detroit, and I have a small car, so I don't know if I want to buy it here and then lug it there, which is why I'm looking online.

Yeah, the 1800 is the one I've been looking at. That deal is actually $6 better than the Amazon one I was getting and since I'm cheap and have a recommendation for that vendor, maybe I'll get it from there. Thanks!
Old 02-10-2005, 04:59 PM   #7
lurker
High School JV

The only thing that worried me about electric versus gas is that the cord would get in the way. I could just see my dad running it over and then never bothering to get it fixed.
Old 02-10-2005, 05:08 PM   #8
ageofquarrel
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker
The only thing that worried me about electric versus gas is that the cord would get in the way. I could just see my dad running it over and then never bothering to get it fixed.

Sorry I didnt mean the kind that you hook up to an outlet. I was talking about the kind where you have to pull the cord to start versus turning a key.
ageofquarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 05:22 PM   #9
lurker
High School JV

Oh, okay. Well, I was already thinking about the problems with a cord because the one I was leaning towards has that.
Old 02-10-2005, 05:55 PM   #10
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Two more things:

1. He'll need 12 amp heavy-duty extension cord that is as long as his driveway is.

2. Plowing with the cord isn't a problem if you plan correctly. If you go back-and-forth horizontally, moving gradually away from the outlet, you won't have to worry about running over the cord.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 07:58 PM   #11
kcchief19
Pro Starter

They actually have snow blowers with electric cords? That seems highly odd to me.

I've been shopping for a snow blower myself since I don't want to risk shoveling the driveway ever again with my knees in the shape they are in. I've been looking at the Yard Machine models they carry at Lowe's. Obviously we get a lot of ice in KC, so I've been leaning toward a two-stage thrower. Since I'm cheap, I'd rather get one under $500 instead of the ones over a grand. Anyone have any experience with Yard Machine?
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 07:59 PM   #12
AZSpeechCoach
College Prospect

As long as Frosty's happy, why quibble about details?

Visit Stewart the Wonderbear and his amazing travels
http://wonderbeartravel.blogspot.com
AZSpeechCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 08:13 PM   #13
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker
Can anybody recommend a good one? I want to get one for my dad's birthday, and I figured there should be lots on sale right now. But it looks like the best deal out there is for an electric Toro one for $300. How much is too little or too much to pay? Anybody done any research so that I won't have to?

Also, I'm thinking of getting it through Amazon (or even Sears or something, but online) so I can ship it to my parents out of state, but I'm worried that there might be problems in the future with it and they won't be able to take it back to the store. Anybody have any bad experiences with these kind of purchases online?

How much to pay for a snowblower/snowthrower all depends on how much snow he will have to deal with. I don't know where he lives, or how big his driveway (or the space he needs the snowblower for) is. More information would certainly help recommend something.

FM
Old 02-10-2005, 08:20 PM   #14
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19
They actually have snow blowers with electric cords? That seems highly odd to me.

I've been shopping for a snow blower myself since I don't want to risk shoveling the driveway ever again with my knees in the shape they are in. I've been looking at the Yard Machine models they carry at Lowe's. Obviously we get a lot of ice in KC, so I've been leaning toward a two-stage thrower. Since I'm cheap, I'd rather get one under $500 instead of the ones over a grand. Anyone have any experience with Yard Machine?

I've owned a Yard Machine by MTD for three years now, very good snowblower. Mine is a 10HP or so, 29" wide snow blower like this one here:
http://www.mtdcanada.com/product.asp...76&companyid=5

It is a two stage snowthrower, as opposed to the thing that flere-imsaho linked to, which is known as a one-stage snowthrower (not a bad thing, but wouldn't be good enough for me in Quebec weather)... It's got an electric starter, 5 speed forward, 2 reverse, although I think all their new models come with 6 speeds forward. Would be crazy to snowblow in anything higher than the 3rd speed anyway, you'd have to run behind the thing

It's probably bigger than what you need, but for the price they sell their products, I've found that MTD's Yard Machines are good buys. I also have a Yard Machine lawnmower who's been a very good, affordable buy...

FM
Old 02-11-2005, 10:25 AM   #15
tategter
High School JV

Snow? what's that?

The only white stuff that gets blown in Florida mainly occurs in Miami.
tategter is offline   Reply With Quote