Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-10-2005, 02:10 PM   #51
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
We already do have that. They play baseball in New York, although there's a team in Boston trying to knock them off their perch but they don't quite seem to have enough cash.

SI
Haha. Yes...very true.

Well we've all covered the money side of things and exactly how much cash it would take to feed our families and all that good stuff. But why is no one talking about the fact that guys like Milloy are playing strictly for the money and if he happens to be on a team that just so happened to luck out and win the title then...awesome? If you're a Bills fan doesn't it bother you to know that...although you may have a pretty decent player on your roster...he may not do the things necessary for his team to win when it comes down to crunch time? He's already been cut from one roster because of this. So I mean how do you go out and root for that? Kinda depressing.

Sorry if I've got too much "good ol' days" syndrome going on here.

MikeVick7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 02:10 PM   #52
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
We already do have that. They play baseball in New York, although there's a team in Boston trying to knock them off their perch but they don't quite seem to have enough cash.

SI

Yeah, like $100 million short.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 02:11 PM   #53
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVick7
Haha. Yes...very true.

Well we've all covered the money side of things and exactly how much cash it would take to feed our families and all that good stuff. But why is no one talking about the fact that guys like Milloy are playing strictly for the money and if he happens to be on a team that just so happened to luck out and win the title then...awesome? If you're a Bills fan doesn't it bother you to know that...although you may have a pretty decent player on your roster...he may not do the things necessary for his team to win when it comes down to crunch time? He's already been cut from one roster because of this. So I mean how do you go out and root for that? Kinda depressing.

I find it hard to question the effort of Milloy on the field. Did he not want to take a pay cut, yes. Does that make him any less a player, no.

You can argue many things - he's overrated or slowing down but I don't think taking the 5 million a year is in any way a knock on what he brings to you on Sunday.

I think Milloy fails to grasp this. It seems like he thinks people think he's a bad guy for taking the money. I don't hold that view.
Old 02-10-2005, 02:14 PM   #54
Desnudo
Coordinator

It's not like he had a choice in the matter at the time.
Old 02-10-2005, 02:17 PM   #55
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo
It's not like he had a choice in the matter at the time.

what do you mean? He had the choice of renegotiating or risking getting cut, he chose the latter.

FM
Old 02-10-2005, 02:19 PM   #56
Desnudo
Coordinator

That's choice in a literal sense, not a real one. The pay cut they wanted him to take was massive. It looked like they basically forced him out. I would have left also.
Old 02-10-2005, 02:24 PM   #57
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo
That's choice in a literal sense, not a real one. The pay cut they wanted him to take was massive. It looked like they basically forced him out. I would have left also.

Ironically they got Harrison for what they were likely trying to get Milloy to accept.

Genius!
Old 02-10-2005, 03:26 PM   #58
KevinNU7
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVick7
Haha. Yes...very true.

I'm a Financial Anaylst. I do not come into work everyday because I love what I'm doing. I come in everyday for the paycheck. Just because it is a sport doesn't necessarily make it any different. Some players chose glory or wins over money, but some players are jsut like you and me and want to get compensated as much as possible for their work.

I think the problem with Lawyer is that he is complaining about the Patriots not paying what he wanted when we all know he is now getting it from another team. He is jsut sour graping.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:32 PM   #59
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNU7
I'm a Financial Anaylst. I do not come into work everyday because I love what I'm doing. I come in everyday for the paycheck. Just because it is a sport doesn't necessarily make it any different. Some players chose glory or wins over money, but some players are jsut like you and me and want to get compensated as much as possible for their work.

I think the problem with Lawyer is that he is complaining about the Patriots not paying what he wanted when we all know he is now getting it from another team. He is jsut sour graping.
I'm not an expert in the financial field but as far as I know...there are no super bowls or world series' that you're competing in. That's where I feel it differs.

Plus...I'm going more off of hearing athlete after athlete saying that it's all about the rings and not about the money. Right.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:54 PM   #60
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNU7
Bruschi flat out said on Patritos All Access (TV Show here in Boston airing Sunday mornings) a few months ago that he was his own agent because it meant he could accept a deal that was worth 20% less then he "deserved" but he would get the same paycheck because he didn't have to pay 20% in agent fees.

If more guys did this they would play on w9inners and get the money they want.

If Bruschi even thought to sign with an agent who was getting a 20% cut of his deal, he's insane. Agents don't get anywhere near that much of a player's contract.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 05:17 PM   #61
lytic
College Benchwarmer

Good bye Ty Law... he can't feed his family with $9mil.
Hattrick Moderator (since Season 22)
Evil Gargs' Hater (since Season 18)
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--
My Pro Soccer Story
lytic is offline   Reply With Quote