Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-10-2003, 01:06 PM   #1
Kodos
Resident Alien

Post Bills get Takeo Spikes

Bills | Spikes All Theirs - posted at KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)

9:03 PT: Bengals.com reports the Cincinnati Bengals have declined to match the offer sheet given to LB Takeo Spikes by the Buffalo Bills. "Takeo has been a good player for the Bengals and in the community, and I wish him good luck with his career in Buffalo," Bengals coach Marvin Lewis said. "Today is the beginning of a new day in the Bengal organization, and in the shaping of the football team under my direction."

I wonder if Corey Dillon wishes that he had escaped when he had the chance...

Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 01:10 PM   #2
rkmsuf
Head Coach

not only that they decided to spend a big chunk of change on Tory James of the Raiders...terrible, terrible...
Old 03-10-2003, 01:11 PM   #3
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

Well they did sign Hardy the other day I think. Maybe that made this a little more reasonable. Not that Hardy is Spikes but it makes a little bit of sense anyways.
Old 03-10-2003, 01:12 PM   #4
Havok
College Starter

Poor Marvin Lewis

Its a shame he's now been sucked into the black hole that is the Cincinnati Bengals Organization.
Old 03-10-2003, 01:43 PM   #5
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

I'm conflicted on this one. Moron (see title) let the best Bengals defensive player get away. He did this, because of his treatment of him financially, and the lack of the organisation's willingness to succeed.

That said, Spikes was really openly criticizing the organisation (that's my job). The Bungles could've kept him on board, but at what cost to morale and team spirit? He is an outstanding football player, but if he's going to turn cancerous, best to be done with him. He'll get his Pro-Bowl in Buffalo, and move on. The Bungles, hopefully, will get better with a new coach & improved attitude (hey, I can always hope).

I like Hardy a lot. I liked him back at Ill, and I like him now. He's no Spikes, but he's a good solid football player.

On James's signing, well...he's better than what we have, I guess. They did the same thing last year, bringing in Burris. Yeah, he's ok, but nothing like signing a CB on the downside of an already average career. Brown is special. He never misses an opportunity.

Last edited by damnMikeBrown : 03-10-2003 at 01:49 PM.
damnMikeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 01:45 PM   #6
rkmsuf
Head Coach

He was probably offended because they kept spelling his name Spykes...

What is this stop #3 for Hardy now in 3 years?
Old 03-10-2003, 01:49 PM   #7
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

One time, once I spelled it wrong. Ok, maybe twice.

Nerf rkmsuf
damnMikeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 01:51 PM   #8
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

If the Bengals were not planning to match an offer sheet for Spikes, why didn't they Franchise him so they could at least bargain for some compensation for him (i.e. Price to Falcons)? The transisition tag in this instance makes no sense that I can see.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 01:53 PM   #9
rkmsuf
Head Coach

They didn't have enough office staff to complete the paperwork...
Old 03-10-2003, 02:17 PM   #10
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by albionmoonlight
If the Bengals were not planning to match an offer sheet for Spikes, why didn't they Franchise him so they could at least bargain for some compensation for him (i.e. Price to Falcons)? The transisition tag in this instance makes no sense that I can see.

Before he was tagged, Marvin Lewis had a couple sit downs with Spikes, who made it pretty clear that he didn't want to be there. They had to tag him somehow to cover their butts in case they could not land a capable replacement. Had they frachised him, the asking price for another team to sign him would have probably been too high, leaving the Bengals stuck with a huge one year contract for a disgruntled player. Lewis has said repeatedly that he wants players that will buy into his system.

There was actually a good crop of LB's in free agency this season. Enough that no team was going to pay the price of two first round draft picks(the price of signing a franchise player) to get him.

In summary, the Bengals transitioned him to cover all bases until they had him replaced.

Hardy's not as good as Spikes, but his is good. In the end, the bonus the Bills gave TKO equals the sum of the bonuses the Bengals paid out to Hardy, John Thornton and Tory James. James is not a game breaker but he's better than what they had and arguably better than Dre Bly who signed a huge deal with Detroit.

In return for letting Spikes walk, they got three new starters on defense. Not a bad deal for either team.

I'll miss TKO. I like him and his intensity. The Bills got a good(not yet great player.) Very few linebackers can tackle or stuff the run like him. His pass rush and pass coverage skills are suspect, but he is still a good LB. I hope he does well and finally gets his pro bowl. In the mean time, I'm moving on. Thank God Hardy wears #51 and I can take the Spikes off the back of my jersey.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 02:31 PM   #11
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Spikes is still in the AFC, and a pro bowl berth may still ellude him with Lewis, Seau, and Thomas in the mix.
Old 03-10-2003, 02:34 PM   #12
scooper
College Benchwarmer

He could play outside. That is where he played the last couple years in Cincinnati.
Old 03-10-2003, 03:10 PM   #13
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Re: Bills get Takeo Spikes

Quote:
Originally posted by Kodos
I wonder if Corey Dillon wishes that he had escaped when he had the chance...

I wonder If he wishes he had taken that job flipping burgers when he had the chance.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 02:13 PM   #14
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

So who gets the orange jersey this year? Johnson? Actually the orange jersey seems to be a curse as either the player gets embroiled in controversy (Dillon/Spikes) or just sucks (Warrick). My personal hope is for Justin Smith so I can proudly wear my favorite college (Mizzou!) and pro team on the same jersey.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 02:16 PM   #15
scooper
College Benchwarmer

I'm guessing this year's orange jersey will be either Carson Palmer or Charles Rogers. (Sorry Lions fans, there's a good chance he won't make it to 2)