Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-08-2003, 06:48 PM   #1
condors
College Starter

MTW-Question

I just had a heck of a time attacking constantinople the byzantines had 4 varagian guard(right behind some trez archers) well i used my normal tactic and sent 4 chivairic knights at them(his general was much better than mine 3star vs 7star) well low and behold i check how the fight is going on that front (there was alot going on) and all my knights are dead and he still has about 40 guys left in each stack. I lost that fight and 2 more after it but the 4th time i was able to take them down they had those nice bzy archers and calvary and horse archers very tough it took me almost 4k men to take out 1190. I always send my knights at infantry(non spear types or archers). Going to have to load up on pavise arbs and see if i have better results in the future, just wondering if anyone else has had similar troubles(got to reread the dynasties as i didn't have the game when they first started may have missed something about a conflict with these victious brutes).

condors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 12:49 PM   #2
Anthony
Banned

freaking byzantines...they are a massive army. i've only played two campaigns - the first one i spent 2 time periods going back and forth with them. it was fun and frustrating at the same time to watch our armies and wealth fluctuate. the last 10 years of that first campaign i built up such an arsenal of men i was sweeping through the countries and occuping as much territory as possible to reach the goal, but i must've missed it by 3 countries or less. i remember going east and just being amazed at how many byzantine countries there were. a massive force indeed.

in my present campaign i'm the Vikings. things are going so much better this time around as i figured out how to generate large amounts of income. always have enough money to make men. i've wiped out my first big enemy now - the French - and am just starting to build up the world power army that will go east to conquer the Byzantines. right now we're neutral, but they're getting feisty and are sending assasins to off my generals every once in a while. we're taking an out of sight, out of mind diplomatic approach, and are not retaliating via force. we don't want things to escalate to that point just yet.

we just finished taking out the French. so i'll use our Viking/Byzantine neutrality to amass a huge force right alongside them and take them out in one big swoop.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 06:33 PM   #3
condors
College Starter

Hell Atlantic-Post about any battles you have myself also the danes for an fyi DONT send your knights at them vanguards
ummm i have had very limited success with missle fire and flanking them (they still seem to kill about 4:1 ratio but vikings are alot cheaper i refuse to send my expensive calvary to the deaths also don't let any spearmen near these guys!)
Old 03-10-2003, 09:15 PM   #4
Anthony
Banned

i'm not playing the real time combat part of the game. i really just want to beat the game first, and don't want to not win my campaign because of my bad strategies...once i get that first win under my belt, i fully plan on delving into the real time combat part. i'm very happy to see that the turn-based owrld conquering part is a whole game in itself. MTW really is 2 games in 1.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 10:47 PM   #5
condors
College Starter

No problem if you not fighting the battles you don't have to worry about balancing your armies but realise that the sum of the parts is greater than the whole ie 16 units of vikings may be great when you let the computer calculate the fight vs 4 archers 4 peasant 4 light cavlary and 4 spearmen when you try to take them yourself while the units may not look very good stat wise they will beat you. Trying to get past spears and at the archers for which you have no return fire getting your flanks charged by the calvary and when your guys get exhausted beating down the spearmen in comes charging peasents while fully rested using their charge bonus starts braking your ranks

(how come my peasents have never ever done anything good for me while once in a while they do something for the AI?)

PS the more battles i fight the more i want to fight
Old 03-10-2003, 11:45 PM   #6
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I wish I could help you friend, but I havent been playing battles either. I am not good at them so I usually just let the computer solve, which I hear is the outcome is better if you play them. I am the English and I have the largest empire conquering all of France, Spain, and half of North Africa. But I attacked the Germans and got excommunicated so alot of my provinces rebelled and the Golden Horde is kicking my butt in the west. Sigh.
Old 03-11-2003, 01:42 AM   #7
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

You guys are wimps. I haven't let the computer decide a land battle for me yet in this game.

Chief Rum

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote