Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-23-2005, 08:46 PM   #1
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

OT: Phil Simms

Wow, this guy is just intolerable, IMO. Does anybody out there actually like him?

RPI-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 08:47 PM   #2
Joe
Pro Starter

he's better than Joe Buck
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 08:49 PM   #3
finkenst
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush

that's not really saying much..

oh, the other qb commentator:

"Great players make great plays in big games."

Thanks, I didn't realize that.
finkenst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 08:50 PM   #4
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

he's actually pretty good... at least to me.. does a lot of talking, but he never talks just to hear himself talk.
Old 01-23-2005, 08:51 PM   #5
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
he's actually pretty good... at least to me.. does a lot of talking, but he never talks just to hear himself talk.

I like Simms a whole lot actually, and I agree with Fozzie. Unlike most former players, he doesn't seem to talk about his playing expereince in a 'I was the greatest!' sort of way. I think he has some genuinely insightful observations at times.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 08:52 PM   #6
FBPro
College Starter

Maybe it's because I don't listen to most of his games, he's MILES ahead of McCarver for baseball however.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 08:53 PM   #7
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
I like Simms a whole lot actually, and I agree with Fozzie. Unlike most former players, he doesn't seem to talk about his playing expereince in a 'I was the greatest!' sort of way. I think he has some genuinely insightful observations at times.

Daryl Johnston is HANDS DOWN the best former-player announcer in any sport... I really do feel like I'm learning a lot about football when he does the games.

Simms ALWAYS picks one team and sticks with them (when the Pats are playing, it's them, which might explain SirFozzie's response), and doesn't let it go. Plus, he never adds any insight to the game.
Old 01-23-2005, 08:55 PM   #8
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I think announcers are the ultimate 'to each his own.' I can't stand Daryl Johnston, for instance. :shurg:
Old 01-23-2005, 08:58 PM   #9
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
I think announcers are the ultimate 'to each his own.' I can't stand Daryl Johnston, for instance. :shurg:

I definitely agree with that first statement. I'm guessing part of it is that you're an "expert" football fan, while I'd just call myself "intermediate". Thus, I love any insights into the way the game is played, which Johnson unquestionably provides.

I don't think you can argue that Simms really demonstrates any kind of knowledge of the way football is played in his announcing, but since someone like you already knows a lot about it, you probably don't like those type of insights.

(P.S. I know this may have sounded like sarcasm, but it's not... I really do think that the fact that you know more about football than me makes a difference in who we'd like to listen to announce)
Old 01-23-2005, 09:04 PM   #10
Desnudo
Coordinator

I definitely prefer the two man booth to three. I think it really reduces instances of talking over plays and missing key moments. I don't think Simms provides any great insights, but you do get an honest assessment of what is going on and the talk usually stays on subject.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 09:09 PM   #11
Esquared1
High School JV

How about the comment on "What will the Patrioits do on 1st and ten, with 57 seconds in the first half, with a 24-3 lead?

DO YOU F"ING thing THEY WILL RUN THE BALL?!?!?! F! IF THATs all that takes to be an F'n announcer, then christ, I should be TOO!!!

Jesus Harold Christ. He is a Fn moron.

While I am at it, why kick a god damn field goal down by 14 late in the 3rd quarter? Why is that the right call, Simms. You kick the FG, your teams is still 2 scores behind. You don't believe in math, do you you f'n idoit.

TO quote Lewis Black:" FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK

Why do the fuck Steelers do this to me?

PS. Thanks for scoring late in the 3rd and 4th, so I could not win my squares too.

Mother Fucking Assholes.
Esquared1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 09:17 PM   #12
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esquared1
How about the comment on "What will the Patrioits do on 1st and ten, with 57 seconds in the first half, with a 24-3 lead?

DO YOU F"ING thing THEY WILL RUN THE BALL?!?!?! F! IF THATs all that takes to be an F'n announcer, then christ, I should be TOO!!!

Jesus Harold Christ. He is a Fn moron.

While I am at it, why kick a god damn field goal down by 14 late in the 3rd quarter? Why is that the right call, Simms. You kick the FG, your teams is still 2 scores behind. You don't believe in math, do you you f'n idoit.

TO quote Lewis Black:" FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK

Why do the fuck Steelers do this to me?

PS. Thanks for scoring late in the 3rd and 4th, so I could not win my squares too.

Mother Fucking Assholes.

I particularly love his instant replay challenge analysis, where he demonstrates his complete lack of knowledge of the rules of the game.

Last edited by RPI-Fan : 01-23-2005 at 09:18 PM.
RPI-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 09:20 PM   #13
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I try not to listen to Fox (and Buck) but I have always believed that the Sunday Night team (esp. Thiesmann) is wholy unlistenable.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 09:22 PM   #14
Esquared1
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan
I particularly love his instant replay challenge analysis, where he demonstrates his complete lack of knowledge of the rules of the game.

I wish somebody punched him in the face, killing him, so he never became an announcer.
Old 01-23-2005, 09:23 PM   #15
maximus
Banned

http://www.nfl.com/writers/collinsworth

^
This is the guy I can't stand.
maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 09:23 PM   #16
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush

no, no he's not.
the scary thing is, I think Simms has actually IMPROVED lately.

still useless though
Old 01-23-2005, 09:27 PM   #17
Esquared1
High School JV

I wish Phil Simms was killed on the field of play.
Old 01-23-2005, 09:53 PM   #18
maximus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esquared1
I wish Phil Simms was killed on the field of play.

I wouldn't go that far.
maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 09:55 PM   #19
Swaggs
Coordinator

I think he and Aikman are equally stiff and obvious. Simms is a little less critical, though.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 10:04 PM   #20
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Phil Simms rubs me the wrong way, like petting a cat against the grain. But I'd take him in a heartbeat over worthless Paul Macguire.
Old 01-23-2005, 10:08 PM   #21
Esquared1
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus
I wouldn't go that far.

I guess I was thinking much worse, but I toned it down.

I am very angry.
Old 01-23-2005, 11:23 PM   #22
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Al Michaels is the only football announcer that I really like. Of course, that is before he was paired with Madden. That has reduced my enjoyment somewhat, but that team is still better than anyone else just because Michaels is that good. However, I agree with others who said that announcers are really a matter of personal taste.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 11:33 PM   #23
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Simms is utterly horrible. Seems like a nice guy, but a CRAP announcer. Collinsworth, though, as someone pointed out, is FAR worse.
Old 01-24-2005, 12:15 AM   #24
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Wow, this guy is just intolerable, IMO. Does anybody out there actually like him?

Phil was my favorite player as a little kid. The fact that he's been helping Mike Teel (freshman QB at Rutgers) develop doesn't hurt.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 12:39 AM   #25
Suicane75
Coordinator

Collinsworth was so awfull today I couldn't even follow half of what he was saying, he was talking about stuff that didn't happen and getting guys names wrongs and describing things on replay that weren't happening, he was driving me batty.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 12:46 AM   #26
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:

I don't see where you got that. He and Nantz both understood the rule, but had opposing opinions on whether or not the footage was conclusive enough to overturn it. And to me, than call was as borderline as is possible. Could've easily gone either way.
Old 01-24-2005, 09:55 AM   #27
rkmsuf
Head Coach

I thought the best point was that when you slow a play down of course you'll see movement of the ball. It's impossible not to.

I thought that was spot on especially on the interception. In real time Wilson had complete control of it.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:02 AM   #28
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I always liked Dan Fouts, I wonder if any network will bring him back?

(Phil Simms is terrible.)
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 10:16 AM   #29
digamma
Torchbearer

My favorite play was on a pass in the red zone when Rothelsberger was either sacked or threw the ball away. Simms was going on and on about the Patriots secondary and how they just blanketed the Steelers receivers on the play. Meanwhile, the guys in the truck are showing a replay angle that shows Randel-El and Burris on the other side of the field wide freakin' open.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 10:50 AM   #30
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo
I always liked Dan Fouts, I wonder if any network will bring him back?

(Phil Simms is terrible.)

ditto
Old 01-24-2005, 11:13 AM   #31
G-Man
High School JV

Question Does anyone remember that game in the 1970's that had no TV announcers? Miami vs Jets

Phil Simms is my favorite all time QB! He lead the 1986 Giants to a Superbowl victory and played near flawless in the game. He wasn't a flashy QB and didn't have gaudy stats but he was a leader.

I like him in the booth as well. I am really not overly critical of many announcers, though I am certainly glad that Dennis Miller was kicked out of the MNF booth.

My favorite all time announcer is Ray Scott. Anybody here recall him? He did allot of the Packer games in the 60's and I think 70's. I used to listen to him in the 60's and 70's do the NFL televised games (mostly when the Packers played).

Now my favorite all time commentator (the jock in the booth) is a little more difficult to pick. I used to really enjoy Madden but he talks too much now and he has really gotten old and I don't mean his age. I do enjoy listening to Randy Cross and Fouts is excellent as well. Doesn't Fouts do college now with Keith Jackson?

Last edited by G-Man : 01-24-2005 at 11:14 AM.
G-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 11:19 AM   #32
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Forget Phil Simms...what about Jim Nantz? Why must you wear a sweater vest?
Old 01-24-2005, 05:13 PM   #33
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus
http://www.nfl.com/writers/collinsworth

^
This is the guy I can't stand.

I agree with you. I can't stand Collinsworth. Daryl Johnston is probably my favorite former player announcer.

Last edited by sabotai : 01-24-2005 at 05:14 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 05:52 PM   #34
Dutch
"Dutch"

I still have Phil Simms rookie card. Last I checked it was worth about 2 dollars.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote