Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-20-2005, 06:43 PM   #1
Huckleberry
College Starter

Another neighbor question

Me: Hispanic
Wife: White
Kids: Look white

There's a house down the street that is being rented by a couple of families. One of these families is black. Only black family on the street. Today while my 4-year-old daughter and some other kids were playing with them, one of the black kids got hurt. His brother yelled "Come on, nigga!" in the middle of a bunch of kids ranging from 3 to 10 years old. He's the 10 year old.

I asked him not to say that word around my daughter or the other children in as diplomatic a way as possible (i.e., I did not repeat the word at any time, merely made it obvious which word I was talking about). He said okay and went about his business. Later when he went home, I'm sure the event came up, because later his father drove down the street and slowed down in front of my house and glared at me. Didn't bother to stop or talk to me about it.

Did I do anything wrong? What would have been the perfect way to handle the situation, because I'm sure I didn't do it perfectly. I'm not worried at all about an ongoing conflict, for what it's worth, because we're moving within a month.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings

Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 07:07 PM   #2
Desnudo
Coordinator

A drive-by glaring. I'd call the police.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 07:11 PM   #3
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I think it was appropriate to ask the kid not to say that word in front of your daughter. I wouldn't worry about it too much if you are definitely moving within the month.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 07:24 PM   #4
Dutch
"Dutch"

I've told grown men not to use that word around me with limited success.

The word/label should not just be situationaly offensive. Let's face it, kids are parrots. If the black kid says it to his brother and a white kid overhears it and says it to his brother in the mall. Guess who gets jacked up? That's right, the dad.

Some of you recall my story in the mall elevator when the I was surrounded by a white father and son on one side and and a black family of 4 on the other. And the son says, "Look daddy! Niggers!"

The look on both fathers faces was priceless and I think the two fathers and myself, a young teen at the time were considering jumping through the glass enclosure of the elevator just to escape the tension sooner.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 07:26 PM   #5
Ragone
Pro Rookie

bad part about that is.. if you used that same word in reference to the kids.. the dad would have done more then just a glaring i imagine

its a racial double standard

Last edited by Ragone : 01-20-2005 at 07:26 PM.
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 07:40 PM   #6
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Race is a touchy one, no doubt. I recall working a sales job during the O.J. trial. After we made our contacts during the day we would meet as a group and call those contacts from 'phone room.' Mark Fuhrman, the cop, had just given his testimony that day and been lambasted for lying about using the 'n' word. We had one black kid working the room with us, and an informal poll found he was the only one who thought that O.J. was innocent. No surprise, really, cause that one did break down along racial lines.

Later on we took a break, being nice outside that's were we went to congregate. The black kid goes to his car, cranks up a rap tune...one with the guy shouting the 'n' word over and over and over again at the top of his lungs. When we start to go in I ask him about his song and what Mark Fuhrman was just lambasted about earlier. His response was classic..."Oh, yeah! And the funny thing is that's the only song I like on that tape!" I really still can't figure that one out, at all.

As far as neighbors, not like the old days. A few years ago I had some words with some kids living a street over behind my house. Late one night I hear a loud 'bang', wake up, run to the door in time to see one of the kids standing by my mailbox like a deer in my motion-activated floodlight. He sees me at the door and runs.

Next day I go down to his house. His mom and dad are outside working on a car. His dad welcomes me "hi neighbor!" I start talking to him about his kid. The kid suddenly appears, says "that's the guy." Dad drops his wrench, wheels on me and invites me to fight. Idiot thinks if he attacks me on his property he's within his rights. By backing away I might have cheated myself out of his house (waterfront!) After that, from now on I just let the cops handle it.
Bubba Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 09:31 AM   #7
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Who knows what the kid told his dad. You are a dead man.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:37 AM   #8
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

You sound Indian to me.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 09:44 AM   #9
Buzzbee
College Starter

Thread title: Another neighbor question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry
Okay, did anyone else think at this point that Huck wanted to know what to do if one of his white neighbors was porking his wife?

Last edited by Buzzbee : 01-21-2005 at 10:01 AM.
Buzzbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 09:47 AM   #10
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah

You sound Indian to me.

Todd

Naw....He's your Huckleberry

Old 01-21-2005, 09:53 AM   #11
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzbee
Thread title: Another neighbor question

Okay, did anyone else think at this point that Huck wanted to know what to do if one of his neighbors was porking his wife?

Yes I did... and for the record, I think he should find out who did it.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 09:56 AM   #12
Joe
Pro Starter

at least we know it wasnt the black neighbor
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 10:20 AM   #13
Huckleberry
College Starter

Ha. Didn't even realize I had walked right into that one.

I assure you the kids are mine. Their complexions are light but they look just like me. I guess they could be my brother's, but that wouldn't be a neighbor question.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote