Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-17-2005, 01:55 PM   #1
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Unusual modem problem. Any help appreicated!

Before reading, please note my technical knowledge of computers is about average so if I say something that doesn't make sense it is probably because it doesn't make sense so please ask me to clarify.

My computer will not recognize my cable modem server so the IP address, DNS server, and DHCP server are currently listed as all being the same. Here is what makes this unusual. (Or at least it is unusual to me) I can still access large company websites like CNN, ESPN, directv, without any problems even though I am not connected to my knowledge to any server. But I can't access any smaller sites, like this one, without refreshing the error message about 15 times.

My friend who is pretty good with computers has tried everything over the phone and he thinks I may have to reload all of my network files. Charter Communications (my service provider) won't help because they don't support networks. Before I make this a major project is there a simpler solution that I am not seeing???? Any help is greatly appreciated!

panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 02:10 PM   #2
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Network? How many computers are you hooking up directly to your modem? Or are you using that old forwarding technology where one computer logs in, and others daisy chain off of it. Are you using a Router? That is how most folks I know network multiple home computers to a cable modem.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 02:18 PM   #3
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Try this:

Start -> Run -> type "cmd" -> at prompt type "ipconfig /release" -> then type "ipconfig /renew

See if that fixes it.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 02:23 PM   #4
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne
Network? How many computers are you hooking up directly to your modem? Or are you using that old forwarding technology where one computer logs in, and others daisy chain off of it. Are you using a Router? That is how most folks I know network multiple home computers to a cable modem.

Two computers. I have my basement set-up for when I want to use a laptop downstairs. Currently my computer is the only one hooked up. But they both run through a router. That is actually the other unusual part that I forgot to put in the original message. I tried going directly through the cable modem without the router and it won't even access the internet. My friend says this is impossible, but how do I explain how I am able to type on a message board?
Old 01-17-2005, 02:25 PM   #5
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
Try this:

Start -> Run -> type "cmd" -> at prompt type "ipconfig /release" -> then type "ipconfig /renew

See if that fixes it.

Todd

Is it "cmd"? My computer says "Cannot find the file 'cmd' (or one of its components)"
Old 01-17-2005, 02:31 PM   #6
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Shoot, you don't have XP or 2000?
Old 01-17-2005, 02:32 PM   #7
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Hmmmm.... 98 maybe? Start -> Programs -> dos mode (or something like that)
Old 01-17-2005, 02:35 PM   #8
Router Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd
Is it "cmd"? My computer says "Cannot find the file 'cmd' (or one of its components)"

I'm guessing you have windows 98/ME then? If so then start>run>winipcfg The window that comes up should have have a release all and renew all button.

You say your IP, DNS, and DHCP are all the same? What are they? With a home router, it is very possible that the DNS and gateway are the same with the IP being something very similar.

When you hooked your computer directly up to the cable modem did you reboot both your computer and the cable modem? Many cable modems won't work if you swtich the wire from the router to the PC without cycling the power on/off.
Router Help is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 02:45 PM   #9
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
Hmmmm.... 98 maybe? Start -> Programs -> dos mode (or something like that)

I have windows 98. When I hit the renew_all I got an error that it couldn't find the DHCP and then my internet access completly shut down. I think I locked it up looking for a DHCP server. I had to reboot and now I can get on some websites (for some reason FOFcentral is now one that works.) but most do not work. Very unusual.

Last edited by panerd : 01-17-2005 at 02:48 PM.
Old 01-17-2005, 02:47 PM   #10
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Router Help
I'm guessing you have windows 98/ME then? If so then start>run>winipcfg The window that comes up should have have a release all and renew all button.

You say your IP, DNS, and DHCP are all the same? What are they? With a home router, it is very possible that the DNS and gateway are the same with the IP being something very similar.

When you hooked your computer directly up to the cable modem did you reboot both your computer and the cable modem? Many cable modems won't work if you swtich the wire from the router to the PC without cycling the power on/off.

They are all 192's but I think Charter is 54 something. I did reboot after each switch.
Old 01-17-2005, 02:51 PM   #11
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I would shut everything down, the power up.

Could also be a spyware issue.

Todd
Old 01-17-2005, 02:52 PM   #12
Router Help

If you are behind your router then your IP will be 192.x.x.x If you log into your router and look at the status page, the router should have a wan IP of 54.x.x.x.

Can you ping the websites you can't get to? Start>RUN>Command> ping www.whatever.com
Old 01-17-2005, 02:57 PM   #13
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
If you are behind your router then your IP will be 192.x.x.x If you log into your router and look at the status page, the router should have a wan IP of 54.x.x.x.

Can you ping the websites you can't get to? Start>RUN>Command> ping www.whatever.com

Do you type the www address or the actual IP adress of the site I can't get to? I couldn't get it to ping anything. Not the sites I can't get to or the sites I can get to, they all come up as "unknown hosts". (Actually I did get yahoo to come up, but not any of the other sites)
Old 01-17-2005, 03:06 PM   #14
Router Help

Putting in either www.whatever or the IP should work. Sounds like you have a flakey DNS server somewhere.

Here is someone on Charter Cable that has the same problem, he switched his DNS server and everything works fine. http://www.broadbandreports.com/foru...4153~mode=flat

I have to leave so I can't walk you through changing those right now, but hopefully someone else can. Good Luck!
Old 01-17-2005, 03:09 PM   #15
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Putting in either www.whatever or the IP should work. Sounds like you have a flakey DNS server somewhere.

Here is someone on Charter Cable that has the same problem, he switched his DNS server and everything works fine. http://www.broadbandreports.com/foru...4153~mode=flat

I have to leave so I can't walk you through changing those right now, but hopefully someone else can. Good Luck!

thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. I will see what I can get done with the post you linked and if not I will try the old "shut computer, modem, and router down for a few hours" and see if I can get the nothing ever happened amazing resposne. but again I really do apprecite the help.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:56 AM   #16
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

The stuff about ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew will only do something for you if you're directly connected, which it seems you aren't (If I'm reading correctly). If you want to try working with that, you need to go through your router's interface. If I were guessing, I would guess it has a web interface that you can pull up at 192.168.1.1 (that's how mine works), but check the documentation that came with it. There should be some kind of status page that shows the WAN address, DNS, gateway, etc., probably with a button that will let you try release/renew.

That's the place to see if you can get things running again... Try release/renew and see if you get good IP addresses, or if you get blanks. If you're getting blanks, then presumably Charter has an outage.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)

Last edited by Mr. Wednesday : 01-18-2005 at 12:57 AM.
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 12:57 AM   #17
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd
I have windows 98. When I hit the renew_all I got an error that it couldn't find the DHCP and then my internet access completly shut down. I think I locked it up looking for a DHCP server. I had to reboot and now I can get on some websites (for some reason FOFcentral is now one that works.) but most do not work. Very unusual.
If you're running through a router, then typically the router is the DHCP server, so you shouldn't have a problem locating it.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 10:38 AM   #18
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

For whatever it's worth I tried the let the cable modem and router sit all night powered off and it looks to me like a bad router. The cable modem is now working without the router (yesterday it was not functioning on it's own at all). I will obviously run a few more tests and it may end up being a deeper problem, but for now I think I will just steal one of my dad's 5 routers that he has sitting around his house.

Last edited by panerd : 01-18-2005 at 10:38 AM.