Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-16-2005, 09:43 PM   #1
kcchief19
Pro Starter

I Hate Southwest Airlines

I realize I'm in the minority apparently, but I hate SWA with the passion of a thousand suns.

Being a big guy, I've never been a fan of the cattle call. Before online boarding passes, I had to get to the airport three hours early to make sure I got a seat with room for my load. I'm 6-4 and unfortunately more than three bills. Even if I wasn't more than three bills, I still wouldn't have room for my legs, and my surgically repaired knee cramps up severly if I can't stretch it out.

Today, they procceeded to lose my luggage on my flight back from Orlando? Why? Because they left the airport before the plane was loaded. Why? Because they wanted to leave on time. Hey, I like leaving on time. I like arriving with my luggage even more. I'd gladly wait as long as it takes to get my luggage on the plane with me.

Southwest Airlines is obsessed with being "on-time." My lost luggage prompted me to do some research. Turns out that while SWA is the second-best airline in arriving on time, they are the fifth-worst in losing luggage. Gee, do you think the two could be related? If you leave before the plane is loaded, you're going to be missing some stuff.

It wasn't like I was cutting it last minute, either. I was at the airport 90 minutes before my flight. I printed my boarding pass from the hotel in the morning and still got the "B" group.

They were three more flights returning from Orlando today, the last one arriving at 8:15. I was told that my luggage would be placed on the first available flight and would "definitely" be delivered tonight. I finally called to complain at 9 p.m. I was the 2nd person in line from our flight to fill out the paperwork to claim lost baggage and I live a very short drive from the airport. They finally called a few minutes ago at 9:30 to say they should be at my house around 10:30.

Of course, I'm particularly annoyed because I have a print deadline tomorrow and most of the materials I need are in my luggage. Sure, it would have been nice to include it in my carry-on bag, but between the expensive and delicate equipment I have to travel with, it's not exactly an option.

I just hate that people seem to applaud airlines that don't f*ck them as much as the other airlines do. Screwing up less than the other guys doesn't make you "good." I realize most airlines are awful, but I think the accolades people give SWA for being "on-time" overlooks how bad they are at losing luggage.

Give me Midwest Express. I feel a lot better when I'm getting hosed if I have a fresh chocolate chip cookie.

kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 09:50 PM   #2
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Atleast Southwest isn't like US Airways.
SunDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 10:05 PM   #3
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I don't fly. Driving is much better, and doesn't take all that long.......
Old 01-16-2005, 10:13 PM   #4
Franklinnoble
Banned

I agree... Southwest sucks. But, most airlines do these days.

I've been on several Southwest and America West flights where they load you on the plane, push back, and then have you wait an hour on the runway. Why? Because as long as they've left the gate, it's an "on-time departure." Nevermind that their passengers would be more comfortable in the terminal than crammed on their planes with their seat belts fastend and their seats and tray tables in the upright and locked positions.

I flew Jet Blue over the holidays, and it was OK. Low cost, minimal frills, but DirecTV at every seat, decent legroom, sodas, cookies... and they were pretty friendly.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 10:15 PM   #5
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer
I don't fly. Driving is much better, and doesn't take all that long.......

Okay, Ritchie.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 10:29 PM   #6
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Not a flight goes by where there wasn't SOMETHING that pissed me off. Doesn't matter what airline, they all fuck you.

I logged I think 30 some flights this past year (by far a record for me). Not ONE was on time. Since I live out in the middle of nowhere, I always had to puddle jump from O'Hare down to Central IL. Never once was the return O'Hare->Moline flight on time. Ever. I missed half a dozen of them. I used I think 6 different airlines when it was all said and done. I got redirected everyfuckingwhere.

They all suck.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 10:33 PM   #7
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

The lesson here is not to fly through O'Hare. I learned that when I visited Notre Dame and then had it reinforced when I flew out of there to go home for Thanksgiving.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 10:54 PM   #8
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
Okay, Ritchie.

La Bamba?

What the hell are you my wife? "Ritchiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!"
Old 01-16-2005, 11:03 PM   #9
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wednesday
The lesson here is not to fly through O'Hare. I learned that when I visited Notre Dame and then had it reinforced when I flew out of there to go home for Thanksgiving.
I flew out to ND for the BC game and it went fine...I think being later at night helped, and it was through Midway not O'Hare I believe.

Worst airline experience I had was this Christmas. That day all but 2 or 3 of US Airways check in counter people called in sick, and despite the fact we were at the airport at like 630 for a 915 flight there was no way we were going to make it up to the counter, which wasn't really a problem since half the flight was behind us. We make it to the terminal at about 1000 where they tell us we need to get on the plane. I'm like screw this, there are over 100 more people behind us, so I got a sandwich and ate it in the terminal waiting some there, and got on the plane at 1100, figuring there couldn't be many more people. I was wrong, and finally at about 1215 the passengers finish boarding and we're about to take off. Then there is a maintenance problem. I'm sitting there like why the heck didn't you run through pre-flight checks in the previous 3 hours we're sitting here at the gate? The flight finally takes off at 1, 4 hours after it's scheduled to leave and with people sitting in the tiny seats the whole time. If I had been there since 915 I would have been even more pissed. At least they got all the luggage on.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 11:08 PM   #10
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Get the scientists to work on the tube technology immediately.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 11:35 PM   #11
Daimyo
College Starter

I like Southwest... its a cheap airline and you get what you pay for. I'd take Southwest out of Midway over United out of O'Hare any day.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 11:42 PM   #12
Ragone
Pro Rookie

not a long drive from kci kcchief? you live off 291?
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 11:57 PM   #13
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragone
not a long drive from kci kcchief? you live off 291?

While you are at it, give us your exact address please....
Old 01-17-2005, 12:01 AM   #14
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer
While you are at it, give us your exact address please....

haha, i know i live within 10 minutes of him anyway.. i was kinda wondering cause i drove there today, and i saw someone going the other way looking like he was screaming into a phone..
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 08:27 AM   #15
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzie
Get the scientists to work on the tube technology immediately.

♪ ♪ Tube technology... ♪ ♪
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 08:27 AM   #16
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Dola... it's better than AirTran

*shudder*
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 10:47 AM   #17
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP
I flew out to ND for the BC game and it went fine...I think being later at night helped, and it was through Midway not O'Hare I believe.
Flying out of South Bend is not the problem, it's how I prefer to leave here. Flying through O'Hare is the problem. As you said, you flew through Midway.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 10:54 AM   #18
bamcgee
High School JV

Southwest is the pits. Cattle call could not be a more appropriate way to describe flying that airline.
bamcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 11:41 AM   #19
nfg22
College Benchwarmer

I have flown many different airlines. I have not had bad expieriences as you guys have. I have flown over 100 times. I have had my luggage lost once. Sun Country is usually good but have a tendancy to be running on the late side, up till a few years ago I flew Northwest, they were usually good. AirTran has always been good for me also maybe been more than 20 mins late 3 times outa 20.
nfg22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 09:29 PM   #20
Craptacular
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19
Give me Midwest Express. I feel a lot better when I'm getting hosed if I have a fresh chocolate chip cookie.

It's just Midwest Airlines now. When I flew out to CO last summer on Midwest, I was in the 2nd row, and I swear I started drooling when those cookies were baking. Even with the "saver service" they have on some routes now, they're still the best as far as quality (at a reasonable price) goes.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 04:29 AM   #21
SlapBone
High School JV

Me and some buddies have a nick for US Air

USeless Air
SlapBone is offline   Reply With Quote