Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-15-2005, 11:08 PM   #1
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

OT: Starting out working for yourself...questions..

I know there are sites ad nauseum, but I wanted some actual comments or info from folks who are "real" people.

Basically, I'm working on a few different projects at the moment under one umbrella company of mine. I guess my question is, what suggestions or just straight "general" information would those of you who actually work for yourselves (or have) or have experience with it, suggest for someone new on this journey.

~DC
(4 years, finally over 1000 posts)

Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 11:19 PM   #2
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Remember to bill yourself for all the overtime
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 01:37 AM   #3
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

It is not the easy option some believe!

Last edited by Mac Howard : 01-16-2005 at 01:39 AM.
Mac Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 05:17 AM   #4
Icy
Pro Starter

Try to work less than 14 hours per day, try to spend time with your wife/girlfriend and friends, try to go to the gym or do any sport to forget about work for 2 hours, try to not to think 24/7 on the pending work, in resume, try to not to be your own slave. This is the hardest part for me.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 07:48 PM   #5
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

Have a work space away from your living space. An office with a door you can close when your day is over. Otherwise you'll feel like you're constantly working.
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 07:51 PM   #6
Desnudo
Coordinator

Make sure you have the business before you go solo.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 08:21 PM   #7
scooter
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Have a work space away from your living space. An office with a door you can close when your day is over. Otherwise you'll feel like you're constantly working.

I would second this. Also, if you can, try to set up regular working hours - this is a little easier if your spouse/significant other doesn't work at home as well. That way, when they come home from work, you can be "off" work as well (or "on" work if you can't stand being around them and you need an excuse )

One other note, try to put a lock on the refrigerator as well. Having the all-you-can-eat-snack-machine in the next room can be a killer!
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 08:24 PM   #8
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Farrah & Desnudo went back to back with two of my biggest pieces of advice.

If there was one business-related thing I could go back in time a few years & change, it would be doing a much better job of separating my work area from the rest of the house. Instead, there's no true respite from it, and it really is a 24/7 thing.

Also, our survival and success as a company would not have been remotely possible without the presence, from Day Minus-One, of a stable client. It meant that we could focus on the work and on surviving the first 1-2 years of learning-as-you-go that come with small business ownership without also having to worry where the next dollar was coming from.

Other advice I regularly offer on this subject includes:

1) Do NOT go too large too quick -- overhead will eat you alive if you aren't very careful. Shoot for having just a little less space/equipment/personnell than you wish you had instead of being stuck with too much of any of it when you have a slower than expected period.

2a) Do NOT be even remotely tempted to slack off -- This will very likely be the hardest job you've ever had, so be prepared to do the best work of your life.

2b) Do not become a slave to the business (any moreso than you must) -- Along with the pressure of ownership comes opportunity to enjoy some of the perks. Enjoy those in moderation but really enjoy them when they come along. Whatever floats your boat - a half-day off for no reason other than you wanted one, time with your family, trips, whatever - doing those things are what makes the stress & strain both bearable and worthwhile.
Old 01-16-2005, 09:04 PM   #9
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Plan plan and then plan. Too many people i have known get into something and then realize they didnt quite realize what it would take. But together a basic business plan and then ask a few other self employed people take a look at it. Get someone not in your field take a look at it also. You will be suprised how many things you may have overlooked. Finally find a mentor that might be in your field that you can talk to weekly or monthly.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote