Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-12-2005, 01:04 PM   #1
chinaski
College Prospect

Rookie Busts Question

In my solo league, i drafted a MLB in the 1st round with the 30th pick - his ratings at the time of the selection was somewhere around 21/63. Now the draft is over and the game hasnt moved any further, I go look at my team and this same MLB is now 13/30. I always thought the 'bust' part happened after camp? To have a guy bust before camp seems a little out of order in my thinking.

chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 01:07 PM   #2
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

might it be something with your scout, where your scout is poor at scouting linebackers? So that he looked real good, but once he got onto the team you realized he was actually horrible?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 01:12 PM   #3
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski
In my solo league, i drafted a MLB in the 1st round with the 30th pick - his ratings at the time of the selection was somewhere around 21/63. Now the draft is over and the game hasnt moved any further, I go look at my team and this same MLB is now 13/30. I always thought the 'bust' part happened after camp? To have a guy bust before camp seems a little out of order in my thinking.

One thing ive always wondered is if "busts and booms" are always coded into a player the same. Im not too good at saving league files, and I dont get an enormous amount of booms or busts when i draft. I wonder if you were to re run that draft 10 times, if that MLB would always bust, or if he would stay the same or boom. Lately i have had a lot of "good combine" AAA guys that seem to bust a lot more than i would think they would.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 01:14 PM   #4
Joe
Pro Starter

yeah, it happens when they get onto your roster after the draft. I recently had a 3rd round lb increase from a 21/43 to 45/68 before training camp happened.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 01:20 PM   #5
chinaski
College Prospect

My scout is rated 'Very Good' at rating Linebackers. Doesnt the way i see a rookie always remain the same? As in, I see the rookie in the draft pool thru my scouts eyes and that always remains true..?
Old 01-12-2005, 01:20 PM   #6
Pyser
Pro Rookie

i think booms and busts are randomized every time you re-run a draft. i lost a great boom when i forgot to save once and the comp crashed, and when i re-ran, my 6th round g didnt explode.

which begs the question, if that is the case, how good is the player, really? i mean, if he booms one time, and doesnt another, is he a 60 caliber player? or 30?
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 01:24 PM   #7
chinaski
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
yeah, it happens when they get onto your roster after the draft. I recently had a 3rd round lb increase from a 21/43 to 45/68 before training camp happened.
Well that sucks, especially considering my scout is supposedly 'Very Good' at scouting linebackers, yet hes not able to see a 30+ point dropoff in ratings? Something just dont seem right about this...

Last edited by chinaski : 01-12-2005 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:30 PM   #8
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Well, immediate busts/booms aren't the only kind. Sometimes they are revealed slowly.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:33 PM   #9
Joe
Pro Starter

i think this was explained as your scout gets a better idea of a player once they are on your roster (ie- up close), than when theyre not. Its the same reason ratings of players change a bit after you trade for them.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 01:49 PM   #10
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
Well, immediate busts/booms aren't the only kind. Sometimes they are revealed slowly.

How about the all the sudden random "bust" of say a 4th or 5th year player that wasnt injured? Have you ever seen that? Cause the other night i had a 80ish overall CB that should have been in his prime drop down into the 40s, and i know he wasnt hurt. I do know his volatility was high.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 01:53 PM   #11
Pyser
Pro Rookie

i was going to ask the opposite. i remember random 6th or 7th year players would go from 40 to like 80 for no reason...but i havent seen that in a loooong time. any chance jim took this out in 5.1?
Old 01-12-2005, 01:55 PM   #12
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser
any chance jim took this out in 5.1?

no.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 01:57 PM   #13
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog

and suddenly
Old 01-12-2005, 01:58 PM   #14
dacman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser
i was going to ask the opposite. i remember random 6th or 7th year players would go from 40 to like 80 for no reason...but i havent seen that in a loooong time. any chance jim took this out in 5.1?

I saw this very recently. I had an 8th year safety who went from ~50 to ~75 in one training camp.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:00 PM   #15
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

I'm not sure what is worse. The immediate bust who you get all excited about, or the gue who actually pans out and has three great years only to suffer a hangnail and not make it thru another game healthy...
Old 01-12-2005, 02:00 PM   #16
Pyser
Pro Rookie

well, my players better get back on the steroids then.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:00 PM   #17
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacman
I saw this very recently. I had an 8th year safety who went from ~50 to ~75 in one training camp.
We just finished the draft in IHOF and we have our usual crop of breakouts around the league. A few so-so veteran players are now studs, and a lot of us had players take 4-7 point hits one way or another. One player who is currently a free agent (unsigned, but on a roster) also took a huge jump.

And there is a whole lot of rookie shifting after the draft.

Basically, guys can boom or bust slowly or quickly.

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 01-12-2005 at 02:02 PM.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 02:28 PM   #18
Havok
College Starter

imo drafting in FOF is a complete crap shoot. Get the best scout you can and hope for the best.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:34 PM   #19
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok
imo drafting in FOF is a complete crap shoot. Get the best scout you can and hope for the best.

I disagree pretty strongly. I do think there is a greater degree of chance in this version of the game though, and I think that is a good thing.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 02:35 PM   #20
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
How about the all the sudden random "bust" of say a 4th or 5th year player that wasnt injured? Have you ever seen that? Cause the other night i had a 80ish overall CB that should have been in his prime drop down into the 40s, and i know he wasnt hurt. I do know his volatility was high.

Was his name Champ Bailey?
Old 01-12-2005, 02:54 PM   #21
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:

No, it's more like poker. You can do a lot to increase your odds, but there are no guarantees.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:55 PM   #22
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack
No, it's more like poker. You can do a lot to increase your odds, but there are no guarantees.

Sounds a lot like the NFL.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:58 PM   #23
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:

read Skydog thread on drafting ....its found in the sticky above
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 03:28 PM   #24
33sherman
Mascot

Booms and busts are pretty much randomized, as far as I can tell. I've run a few historical careers and sometimes great players bust(like Montana) and bust players end up great. In one league I ran, Tony Sacca had a long, illustrious career with the Buffalo Bills.
33sherman is offline   Reply With Quote