Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-04-2004, 01:06 PM   #1
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

TCY 1.2a Time Management Help

I haven't played with the game's Time Management settings that much, and I'm struggling a bit to get the results I'm looking for. Does anyone have good settings that would yield the following type of results?
  • Study Hall ranging from approx. 13 to 30.
  • Practice Time 15-17
  • Relaxation ranging from 25-28 for players with girlfriend
  • Relaxation ranging from 19-23 for players without girlfriend

I've tried moving a few settings around, but my biggest problem continually seems to be that I'm getting too wide of a range for relaxation rating for players with girlfriends. I'm usually running something like 25-32. I'd rather those extra 4-5 points be put on weight training/football study. However, when I increase the football/film study numbers by a couple of points each, I always send to end up with a handful of guys with girlfriends with only 23 or 24 relaxation. A little help?

Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 01:12 PM   #2
bhlloy
Coordinator

I could never get the automatic time management settings to work. For me to get anything I am remotely happy about I still go through manually at the start of each season.

BTW... I was under the impression that 24 relaxation for guys with girlfriends keeps them happy. Is this not the case? It's the setting I've always used to get the extra couple of practise time hours in.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 01:15 PM   #3
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

It was a nice addition by Jim, but not detailed enough to really get the specificity you're looking for IMO. I continue to use the TCY Helper to generate suggested values, set values for all incoming freshmen and then adjust upperclassmen that have gained a girlfriend in the offseason.

I'm hoping that Jim will incorporate the TCY Helper (or something very similar) as a module to the next TCY - it would go a long way towards making the game less tedious while still allowing a great deal of control over your players.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 01:17 PM   #4
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy
BTW... I was under the impression that 24 relaxation for guys with girlfriends keeps them happy. Is this not the case? It's the setting I've always used to get the extra couple of practise time hours in.

24 is in a gray area - most will still keep their girlfriends at that level, but 1 or 2 might lose a girlfriend, and all will see their happiness level go down more severely than say at 26-27. For most players with girlfriends I try to keep the relaxation at 27. Those that have grade issues where study time is in the mid-20's or higher, I'll cut back on the relaxation and risk the unhappiness.
Old 08-04-2004, 01:20 PM   #5
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan
It was a nice addition by Jim, but not detailed enough to really get the specificity you're looking for IMO. I continue to use the TCY Helper to generate suggested values, set values for all incoming freshmen and then adjust upperclassmen that have gained a girlfriend in the offseason.

I'm hoping that Jim will incorporate the TCY Helper (or something very similar) as a module to the next TCY - it would go a long way towards making the game less tedious while still allowing a great deal of control over your players.
Right now it seems *very* close to what I want, particularly considering that I don't mind setting time management for the freshmen so I can get 'em in the weight room that year. If I can tweak these settings so that I only have to do freshmen, I'll be happy. {Crossing fingers that someone has those magic settings...}
Old 08-04-2004, 01:21 PM   #6
Franklinnoble
Banned

I always hated this part of TCY...
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 01:28 PM   #7
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
24 is in a gray area - most will still keep their girlfriends at that level, but 1 or 2 might lose a girlfriend, and all will see their happiness level go down more severely than say at 26-27. For most players with girlfriends I try to keep the relaxation at 27. Those that have grade issues where study time is in the mid-20's or higher, I'll cut back on the relaxation and risk the unhappiness.

26-27? Never kept all of my players that high, I too usually keep it at 24 or 25. Do you find they develop better when it is that high and they are happier?

Also, guys with no GFs a usually keep at 17 or 18, would be interested on what you have for those guys?

Skydog, i have not been able to get it perfected, i usually let it get close the first year then go in and fine tune all the players. The following seasons I do each freshmen and then adjust the guys who got new GFs......My least favorite part of the game by far
Old 08-04-2004, 01:31 PM   #8
Ben E Lou

Well, I am *definitely* glad that it is in there. I just wish it was a bit more smoothly automated.

To answer a specific question, I've gotten better results when my players are happier.
Old 08-04-2004, 01:56 PM   #9
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer
26-27? Never kept all of my players that high, I too usually keep it at 24 or 25. Do you find they develop better when it is that high and they are happier?

I haven't specifically studied this, no, but you figure that happiness rating is in there for a reason. I look at 24-25 as around the minimum to ensure 80-90% of the guys at that setting will retain their girlfriends, while accepting the fact their happiness rating will drop fairly quickly.

I use the academic method of building a program, and most of my recruits don't need more than a 20 or so in study hall to maintain a 3.30 GPA or so, so I can afford to set most guys at 27 if they have girlfriends while still getting enough time in weight training and film study for them to develop fairly quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer
Also, guys with no GFs a usually keep at 17 or 18, would be interested on what you have for those guys?

Most guys like this I'll set at 19, though if they're a little more questionable academically and need more study hall time I may drop them to 18 or 17.

I should also note that with O-linemen I'm more inclined to drop the relaxation times below 27/19 so as to increase weight training.
Old 08-04-2004, 02:01 PM   #10
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
Right now it seems *very* close to what I want, particularly considering that I don't mind setting time management for the freshmen so I can get 'em in the weight room that year. If I can tweak these settings so that I only have to do freshmen, I'll be happy. {Crossing fingers that someone has those magic settings...}

Well, that's cool - I just found it a little too tedious trying to find the perfect algorithm to get the results I wanted, when what I really wanted was something as explicit as the TCY Helper.

That approach makes the most sense to me - have a module like the TCY Helper that sets specific preferences based on certain player attributes and computes your preferred settings automatically and then connect it to TCY so that you could click a button to change your players' time management settings to match what you came up with in the helper. Kudos again to Fido for developing the Helper - it bought at least another 1.5 years of playing time on TCY for me...
Old 08-04-2004, 02:04 PM   #11
Ben E Lou

OK. I'd been playing with it for about 15-20 minutes before starting this thread, and have been fooling with it for the last 45 minutes or so since, and I think I'm very close to what I'm looking for, if anyone wants to get similar results:

ALL POSITION GROUPS EXCEPT P/K:
Study Hall=11
Relaxation=18
(WtTrn+FtbSt)=40

ADJUSTMENTS:
Practice Field Time: 15
Relax Time Bonus: 8
Study Hall Bonus: 5

Using the above settings yielded the following results:

STUDY HALL
Study Hall Time ranged from 12 to 26, which is fine considering I go after academics. I am early in this career, and most of the guys in the 21-26 range guys are ones who were on the original roster. Most of the guys I've recruited are being assigned 15-20. I can handle that.

RELAXATION WITHOUT GIRLFRIEND
Ranged from 19-24, but only three guys >22. If it remains that few, I don't mind resetting those.

RELAXATION WITH GIRLFRIEND
2 guys had 24, but everyone else ranged from 25-30.

Most importantly, the guys who fell under my thresholds for increases in study hall time with girlfriends have 36-37 points to use on weight trianing and football study. I can handle that.

I don't think I'm going to get it any closer than this.
Old 08-04-2004, 02:06 PM   #12
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Well, that's cool - I just found it a little too tedious trying to find the perfect algorithm to get the results I wanted, when what I really wanted was something as explicit as the TCY Helper.
Ditto.
Old 08-04-2004, 02:09 PM   #13
dixieflatline
High School Varsity

Quote:

I have had the same problems. It's a nice feature but once the career gets started just adjusting the freshman really isn't that hard to do. I just couldn't quite get the manager to give results that I was happy with. To chime in on the relaxation time I use 19 for guys without girlfriends and 24 for those with gf. If a player has a really low happiness score and is young I will bump him him a point or two.
dixieflatline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 02:30 PM   #14
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Ranged from 19-24, but only three guys >22. If it remains that few, I don't mind resetting those.
Upon further review, these are a virtual non-issue. All three are guys with asp/int in the 90's, and high GPA's. Even with 22-24 points assigned to relaxation, they all have 48 or 49 points on training/study. I'll try these settings for a few seasons and report back in. If all I have to deal with are 2-3 guys with gf's and 24 relaxation, then I can definitely live with these settings.
Old 08-08-2004, 03:26 AM   #15
Ben E Lou

Well, I was wrong. I was able to get the settings even a little closer to what I want. Here we go...

ALL POSITION GROUPS:
Study Hall=11
Relaxation=17
(WtTrn+FtbSt)=40

ADJUSTMENTS:
Practice Field Time: 17
Study Hall Bonus: 4

STUDY HALL
Study Hall Time ranged from 12 to 23. I'm now well into my career (2016), so virtually every player on my team is quite smart. I have only 6 guys on the entire roster with aspiration <50. This works out quite well.

Ranged from 19-22. Excellent.

Ranged from 25-28 generally, with only one guy given a 29. Again, pretty much perfect.

The lowest (WtTrn+FtbSt) figure on the team is 37. 37 was assigned to two players who had GPA's under 3.00, and (for my team) low asp/int scores. Both have girlfriends, and were assigned 25 points for relaxation, and 21 for studay hall. Both were linemen, and had 27 weight training, 10 football study.

The highest (WtTrn+FtbSt) figure on the team is 49. Three guys got this much. TE Derek Webb has 100/100 asp/int, and no girlfriend. He was assigned 13 study hall, 32 weight training, 17 football study, 21 relaxation. FB Myron Jessie was also 100/100, and got the exact same assignments. Finally, OLB Gerald Knudsen was 95/100 asp/int, and was assigned 13 study hall, 21 relaxation, 27 weight training, 22 football study.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:24 AM   #16
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well, I was wrong. I was able to get the settings even a little closer to what I want. Here we go...

ALL POSITION GROUPS:
Study Hall=11
Relaxation=17
(WtTrn+FtbSt)=40

ADJUSTMENTS:
Practice Field Time: 17
Study Hall Bonus: 4

STUDY HALL
Study Hall Time ranged from 12 to 23. I'm now well into my career (2016), so virtually every player on my team is quite smart. I have only 6 guys on the entire roster with aspiration <50. This works out quite well.

Ranged from 19-22. Excellent.

Ranged from 25-28 generally, with only one guy given a 29. Again, pretty much perfect.

The lowest (WtTrn+FtbSt) figure on the team is 37. 37 was assigned to two players who had GPA's under 3.00, and (for my team) low asp/int scores. Both have girlfriends, and were assigned 25 points for relaxation, and 21 for studay hall. Both were linemen, and had 27 weight training, 10 football study.

The highest (WtTrn+FtbSt) figure on the team is 49. Three guys got this much. TE Derek Webb has 100/100 asp/int, and no girlfriend. He was assigned 13 study hall, 32 weight training, 17 football study, 21 relaxation. FB Myron Jessie was also 100/100, and got the exact same assignments. Finally, OLB Gerald Knudsen was 95/100 asp/int, and was assigned 13 study hall, 21 relaxation, 27 weight training, 22 football study.

Are these for the time management view vs TCY helper settings? I haven't used anything but TCY helper and right now my time management overview option is greyed out.

How did these settings hold out for you SD?

Thanks,

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 11:50 AM   #17
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
Are these for the time management view vs TCY helper settings? I haven't used anything but TCY helper and right now my time management overview option is greyed out.

How did these settings hold out for you SD?

Thanks,

Todd
They've held out very well, and yes, they are for the "Time Management Overview" screen, which is greyed out unless you're in the portion of the season when you can change Time Management (after scheduling, before first game). TCY Helper is great, and actually gives me more precise settings than the new in-game module does, but the drawback is having to hand-enter the settings every year. With these settings, I can hit the one button each year, then just do minor tweaks for the few guys (never much more than 5 or 6 on a team at any time) that I've targeted for extra help in development. Once I get a team filled with relatively smart players, I don't have to do much at all apart from the one click at the beginning of the year. In just my second season in my current TCY career (The Bear Bryant Challenge), my team had a 2.84 GPA, good for 5th in the nation, had no one lose a girlfriend, and saw many of my red-shirted players gain 20-30 points in current ratings in that one season. Sounds good to me.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:57 AM   #18
Ben E Lou

Oh, and as far as results once a career gets going, I used these settings to net a Top 5 finish virtually every season for a decade, several national titles, and I had the highest GPA in the country virtually every year. Basically the only additional tweaking required was increasing weight room time during the Freshman year for non-weight-room-oriented positions (QB/RB/WR/LB/DB). I got to where I just let freshman linemen use the weight room setting assigned by Time Management--usually in the upper 20's to low 30's for the ones with Asp and Int >88.
Old 01-11-2005, 12:13 PM   #19
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Thanks for all the help Skydog!

I have another question:

My team is getting a TON of penalties, and the help file says something about disipline rating. Where do I find that? I don't see that rating anywhere on my OC or DC's card.

Thanks,

Todd
Old 01-11-2005, 12:28 PM   #20
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Thanks for all the help Skydog!

I have another question:

My team is getting a TON of penalties, and the help file says something about disipline rating. Where do I find that? I don't see that rating anywhere on my OC or DC's card.

Thanks,

Todd
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCY Help File
Coach Information Screen
The Coach Information screen shows information about an individual coach.
The window on the left of the screen shows basic information, including the coach's ratings in certain areas.
These ratings include a motivation rating, which helps a player's performance in a close game. The discipline rating helps keep players from being suspended off the field or taking penalties during a game. The academics rating determines how heavy an emphasis a coach places on academics when recruiting a player. The integrity rating determines how willing a coach is to bribe players to attend their school or induce an illegal transfer from another school. The run up score rating determines how willing a coach is to run up the score during a rout.
Your ratings as a coach are not shown. Your run up score rating is set to Average. Your academics and integrity ratings are irrelevant, as you make these decisions on your own. The difficulty level you choose when starting a new career determines your discipline and motivation ratings.
The window on the right side of the screen shows the year-by-year record for the selected coach. This includes his team's final rank and a coaching score.
Key sentences underlined.
Old 01-11-2005, 12:47 PM   #21
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Thanks, I thought that might be right.. I don't like that though.. they can never improve, if I'm reading this right?

Todd
Old 01-11-2005, 01:51 PM   #22
Gallifrey
High School Varsity

On the subject of TCY...

In the new version (1.3) there seem to be some bowl games that were not there before. I am trying to match the real names to the ones in the game and change them.
Does anyone know if there is a list for this?
Gallifrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 02:18 PM   #23
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Code:
The College Years Bowl Games for 2005 Game Matchup Fiesta Bowl Final Ranking #1 vs Final Ranking #2 Sugar Bowl Final Ranking #3 vs Final Ranking #5 Orange Bowl Final Ranking #4 vs Final Ranking #7 Rose Bowl Final Ranking #6 vs Final Ranking #8 Cotton Bowl Atlantic Coast #2 vs Big Ten #2 Capital One Bowl Big Twelve #2 vs Pacific Ten #2 Sun Bowl Atlantic Coast #3 vs Big Twelve #3 Gator Bowl Southeastern #2 vs Big East #1 Holiday Bowl Big Ten #3 vs Mountain West #2 Outback Bowl Atlantic Coast #4 vs Pacific Ten #3 Alamo Bowl Big Ten #4 vs Southeastern #3 Liberty Bowl Atlantic Coast #5 vs Conference USA #1 Independance Bowl Big Ten #5 vs Big Twelve #4 Insight.com Bowl Mountain West #3 vs Independence #1 Seattle Bowl Atlantic Coast #6 vs Southeastern #4 Houston Bowl Big Ten #6 vs Western Athletic #1 Music City Bowl Pacific Ten #4 vs Mountain West #4 Motor City Bowl Big Twelve #5 vs Mid American #1 Peach Bowl Pacific Ten #5 vs Southeastern #5 Hawaii Bowl Big East #2 vs Conference USA #2 Las Vegas Bowl Big East #3 vs At-Large Team Humanitarian Bowl Independence #2 vs At-Large Team New Orleans Bowl Sun Belt #1 vs Solecismic Eight #1 Game Location Payoff Fiesta Bowl Tempe, AZ $7,920,000 Sugar Bowl New Orleans, LA $5,280,000 Orange Bowl Coral Gables, FL $4,620,000 Rose Bowl Los Angeles, CA $3,960,000 Cotton Bowl Dallas, TX $1,980,000 Capital One Bowl Orlando, FL $1,650,000 Sun Bowl El Paso, TX $1,320,000 Gator Bowl Jacksonville, FL $1,180,000 Holiday Bowl San Diego, CA $1,180,000 Outback Bowl Tampa, FL $990,000 Alamo Bowl San Antonio, TX $990,000 Liberty Bowl Memphis, TN $790,000 Independance Bowl Shreveport, LA $790,000 Insight.com Bowl Phoenix, AZ $660,000 Seattle Bowl Seattle, WA $660,000 Houston Bowl Houston, TX $590,000 Music City Bowl Nashville, TN $520,000 Motor City Bowl Detroit, MI $520,000 Peach Bowl Atlanta, GA $520,000 Hawaii Bowl Honolulu, HI $520,000 Las Vegas Bowl Las Vegas, NV $520,000 Humanitarian Bowl Boise City, ID $520,000 New Orleans Bowl New Orleans, LA $520,000

This is what I have, although I didn't change anything since the 1.3 patch.

Todd
Old 01-11-2005, 02:21 PM   #24
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Which reminds me of this issue:

Code:
Insight.com Bowl Mountain West #3 vs Independence #1

Doesn't this mean either Notre Dame or Navy will ALWAYS play in a bowl game?

Todd
Old 01-11-2005, 02:22 PM   #25
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallifrey
On the subject of TCY...

In the new version (1.3) there seem to be some bowl games that were not there before. I am trying to match the real names to the ones in the game and change them.
Does anyone know if there is a list for this?

There's no true list, but this is the order I have the bowls listed. It doesn't really matter since most of the matchups aren't their real life counterpoint.

Rose Bowl - Los Angeles, CA
Orange Bowl - Coral Gables, FL
Sugar Bowl - New Orleans, LA
Fiesta Bowl - Tempe, AZ
Capital One Bowl - Orlando
Cotton Bowl - Dallas, TX
Outback Bowl - Tampa, FL
Gator Bowl - Jacksonville, FL
Holiday Bowl - San Diego, CA
Peach Bowl - Atlanta, GA
Sun Bowl - El Paso, Texas
Liberty Bowl - Memphis, TN
Alamo Bowl - San Antonio, TX
Emerald Bowl - San Francisco, CA
Music City Bowl - Nashville, TN
MPC Computers Bowl - Boise City, ID
Las Vegas Bowl - Las Vegas, NV
GMAC Bowl - Mobile, AL
Independence Bowl - Shreveport, LA
Insight Bowl - Phoenix, AZ
Continental Tire Bowl - Charlotte, NC
Motor City Bowl - Detroit, MI
New Orleans Bowl - New Orleans, LA
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 03:59 PM   #26
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Speaking of time management, does anyone remember the weight training theory? There was a poster who would redshirt his freshmen and during that year would max out weight training. Each position had a different weight training max. Does anyone recall what those numbers were? For a QB it was 15. For a RB it was 20ish. For a Tackle it was 35, etc.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 04:05 PM   #27
ScottVib
High School Varsity

Quote:
Which reminds me of this issue:

Code:
Insight.com Bowl Mountain West #3 vs Independence #1

Doesn't this mean either Notre Dame or Navy will ALWAYS play in a bowl game?

Todd
If they are bowl eligible yes. That really doesn't bother me though, because in real life if either team is eligible, they go to a bowl.

If they aren't it becomes an at large berth.

The new patch gave the MWC an autobid which has resulted in several Pitt to the BCS kind of situations for the MWC in my league. They also got 4 bowl bids (they only have 3 in real life). While the Big East lost a bid. These kind of things are part of the reason I wish we had a bowl match-ups editor.
ScottVib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 04:08 PM   #28
ScottVib
High School Varsity

Quote:
Key sentences underlined.
With the discipline rating.. even on the easy modes (Getting back into it I was messing around with the easiest setting) and I still end up with 3x the penalties of my opponents. It's incredibly frustrating... (part of me wonders if there is a bug, as I'd assume that the easy modes should have good discipline ratings and the number of penalties seems indicative of a terrible discipline rating)
Old 01-11-2005, 06:19 PM   #29
Ben E Lou

That's interesting. I'm playing (as always) on the most difficult mode. In my latest season, even though I played 13 games (SEC Championship and Bowl Game), I only had the 23rd most penalties in the country, and was just slightly above the middle of the pack in penalty yardage. In my first season, I had the 13th-most penalties, and 9th-most penalty yardage. (12 games).

I think I remember someone doing a study that revealed that practice time my cut down on penalties as well, but I'd have to dig that up to confirm.
Old 01-11-2005, 07:45 PM   #30
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottVib
If they are bowl eligible yes. That really doesn't bother me though, because in real life if either team is eligible, they go to a bowl.

If they aren't it becomes an at large berth.

The new patch gave the MWC an autobid which has resulted in several Pitt to the BCS kind of situations for the MWC in my league. They also got 4 bowl bids (they only have 3 in real life). While the Big East lost a bid. These kind of things are part of the reason I wish we had a bowl match-ups editor.

Thanks.

Todd
Old 01-12-2005, 07:41 AM   #31
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Skydog,

I recall the Practice Time post you're referring to. The best results seemed to be 17-21. I've always used 18, but if my current game continues to run high on penalties I may be upping it to 19 or 20.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 09:05 AM   #32
ScottVib
High School Varsity

I believe I'm using 19.