Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-10-2005, 06:15 PM   #1
temley06
H.S. Freshman Team

Manning 47, Vick 1 ?!?

It was no surprise that Manning won the MVP, considering the season he had. I am a little surprised that it was not unanimous. But Michael Vick? He is certainly one of the most exciting players to watch, and I would pay to see him, but how does he get an MVP vote. Culpepper, McNabb, Owens and possibly Brees would have gotten a vote ahead of him in my book. I guess someone in Atlanta or Blacksburg is a bit of a homer.

temley06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 06:23 PM   #2
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Maybe, just maybe, somebody took the "Most Valuable Player" thing literally, and voted according to "Most Valuable To Their Team".

I think there's a reasonable argument to be made that Vick means more to Atlanta than Manning is to Indy. Not as good, not as dominating, not as anything as Manning ... except in terms of value to his team.
Old 01-10-2005, 06:24 PM   #3
korme
Go Reds

ima have to agree with temley.. i was surprised to see the 1 vote not to Manning went to Vick, when numerous others probably deserved more a vote than he - Martin, Alexander, Brees, Culpepper, McNabb, Owens, etc..
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 06:25 PM   #4
timmynausea
College Starter

I'd say Manning is pretty valuable to his team, in fact more so than Vick. Atlanta wins with defense. The Colts, obviously, win with offense, and if you take away Peyton Manning their offense could become pretty average pretty fast.
Culpepper is probably the most valuable to his team, in my opinion.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 06:33 PM   #5
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

I was surprised Vick didn't get more. At most, the Falcons would win 5 games without him.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 06:36 PM   #6
Tigercat
College Starter

You take Vick away from Atlanta they can win 6-8 games with their backup rookie QB or a free agent signee. You take Manning away from the Colts and they are lucky to sniff 6 wins with one of their backups or a free agent guy.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 06:37 PM   #7
temley06
H.S. Freshman Team

Look at the Colts when they played Denver in week 17 with Sorgi, blown out by Denver. Granted several of their starters were sitting, but the offensive line was mostly the starters all game and Harrison and Wayne played a significant portion. Then the wild-card round was a totally different story. Without Manning the Colts probably do not make the playoffs. Also one thing that makes Manning so valuable to the team is that he does play every snap and almost never misses a game due to injury (1 in 7 years).
Old 01-10-2005, 07:21 PM   #8
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat
You take Vick away from Atlanta they can win 6-8 games with their backup rookie QB or a free agent signee. You take Manning away from the Colts and they are lucky to sniff 6 wins with one of their backups or a free agent guy.

I'd say you're grossly overestimating the rest of the Atlanta roster ... or more accurately perhaps, overestimating the ability of the rest of the roster to win without the confidence having Vick gives them.

With James, Harrison, et al, as offensive weapons, I'd take my chances on a Manning-less Colts with a random QB 100 times over a Falcons roster minus Vick.
Old 01-10-2005, 07:31 PM   #9
Joe
Pro Starter

how did culpepper not get a single vote? Over 4,700 yards, 69% completion rate, and 39 TDs. The 8-8 record probably had something to do with it.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 07:46 PM   #10
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
I'd say you're grossly overestimating the rest of the Atlanta roster ... or more accurately perhaps, overestimating the ability of the rest of the roster to win without the confidence having Vick gives them.

With James, Harrison, et al, as offensive weapons, I'd take my chances on a Manning-less Colts with a random QB 100 times over a Falcons roster minus Vick.

The Falcons D is much better than the Colts.

Many may not agree with me, but if you put the same average QB with the Colts and the Falcons, I think the passing offenses will look about the same. Harrison is a GREAT WR, but I think only when he has a good QB that can throw accurately in time with his precise routes. He doesn't have the speed or size to fight for the ball when an average QB is throwing it around not so accurately. Add on to the fact that Shaub is better than any of the Colts backup QBs....

And then you look at where they play. Even if a Vickless Falcons team is worse than a Manningless Colts team, a Vickless Falcons team would find it much easer to win games thanks to playing in the NFC, meaning they could still win to a lesser degree. In the AFC a Manningless Colts team would get slaughtered. So this year, as far as win and losses for the teams, IMO Manning means more.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 08:08 PM   #11
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

NFL does a basic vote, no second or third place votes, correct?
Old 01-10-2005, 08:19 PM   #12
temley06
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
NFL does a basic vote, no second or third place votes, correct?

I think so
Old 01-10-2005, 08:23 PM   #13
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Im glad Peyton won. Im really still not convinced with Vick's ability to throw the ball. Maybe in a few years Maybe.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:47 PM   #14
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97
I was surprised Vick didn't get more. At most, the Falcons would win 5 games without him.
I'm suprised you'd go that high. With their line and recievers, 3 wins would be more apt.

Without Vick's ability to run, the Falcons couldn't do anything this year.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 01-10-2005 at 09:48 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 10:42 PM   #15
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEMICAL SOLDIER
Im glad Peyton won. Im really still not convinced with Vick's ability to throw the ball. Maybe in a few years Maybe.

His MVP status shouldn't really be judged on not being the best passer if he can still find a way to win.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 12:56 AM   #16
Havok
College Starter

what....a....joke.....
Old 01-11-2005, 01:23 AM   #17
stkelly52
College Benchwarmer

One key difference is that we were able to see what happened to the Falcons last year with vick out and this year with him. Sure it is easy to speculate how well the Colts would have done without Manning, but we saw how well Atlanta did last year, and there was very little that changed from last year to this.

That said, I think manning deserved the award, I just can see how someone might pick Vick.
stkelly52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 06:14 AM   #18
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Who was it that made this vote? I heard he was outed on Fox, and I believe it was one of their guys.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 09:13 AM   #19
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg
Who was it that made this vote? I heard he was outed on Fox, and I believe it was one of their guys.

It was some idiot who wanted to be different.

He'll be sitting with friends one day and say, "I was the guy who voted for Michael Vick." Tee-Hee!

Todd
MizzouRah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 10:52 AM   #20
Router Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg

It was Detroit News writer Mike O'Hara.

http://www.detnews.com/2005/lions/0501/11/f01-56421.htm

Last edited by Router Help : 01-11-2005 at 10:54 AM.
Router Help is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 01:58 PM   #21
rkmsuf
Head Coach

See it says Manning and Vick

not

Peyton and Michael.

Case closed.
Old 01-11-2005, 01:59 PM   #22
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Damned biased Detroit writers .
Old 01-11-2005, 02:39 PM   #23
temley06
H.S. Freshman Team

I am glad he gave an explanation, I can respect that. I am just glad he did not vote against Manning out of anger since Manning hung a 6 TD game on the Lions and embarassed them on national TV.
Old 01-11-2005, 04:46 PM   #24
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

The voter DID vote Manning as AP Offensive Player of the Year (saying you'd be an idiot not to) and Manning was his QB on his All-Pro team, so it didn't have anything against Manning.