Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-11-2005, 01:04 PM   #1
Shakes
Mascot

Question FOF Questions

Hello. I have been looking for a NFL type sim for quite some time now in hopes of starting up a league and I came across the FOF site. I run a Hockey league (EHL) and also have played the FOF football games back when they were still available in the stores i believe the last version I have is the 2000 version. Forgive me if these questions have been answered over and over again (as I cant seem to find my previous versions around).

1. Is there a manual of how to play FOF?

2. I know it is not recognized by the NFLPA but is there a roster pack/team pack of the real players and teams as of the 2004 season?

3. How is the HTML output for putting stats/standings...etc on a web site?

4. Is the Multiplayer feature stable?

5. Is there a solid PBP feature in the game? (I would like to have LIVE games at some point)

6. Is the financial system in tuned with the constraints of the NFL system? (IE like putting a Franchise tag on a current player)

7. Can you save in the middle of the week? (See #5 for reasoning of this question).

8. In conjunction with #2, is there a roster pack out that would include the 2005 players that are eligible for the draft? (like Matt Leinart and Braylon Edwards)

9. Is there a practice squad in the game for teams?

10. In conjunction with #5, is there a way to have 2 teams coach during a game? (I thought it would be a nice touch for playoff games..Yes I am too idealistic at times...lol)

11. Is there a solid scouting system and does it depends on which scouts you have? (like scouts may not always be correct when assessing a team or Player)

12. Is there a way to update or import the upcoming draft class (for future seasons) with players coming out of college?

13. Will UFA be persuaded to sign with a particular team? (based on how many years in the league or being close to his home for example)

14. For contracts, will there be an option to have bonuses for performance? (like a RB needs 15 TDS to get a 1 million dollar bonus)

15. Is there any type of media coverage in the game like post game news conferences?

Thanks for reading and to anybody who answers.

Shakes

Shakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 01:12 PM   #2
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Well, first off, welcome to the forums. I'll try to answer your questions as best as I can. My answers are bolded:

There is a help file that comes with the game that will help you understand the basics. There's a significant amount of knowledge of FOF on this message board, though, so feel free to ask any questions that aren't covered in the help file or in the reference thread (stickied at top of forum).

2. I know it is not recognized by the NFLPA but is there a roster pack/team pack of the real players and teams as of the 2004 season?

Yes, a link to it can be found in the reference thread.

It is good enough, but not outstanding, either. A sample can be found here: http://www.younglifenorthlake.com/fof

Yes, very.

5. Is there a solid PBP feature in the game? (I would like to have LIVE games at some point)

Don't know how good it is for someone interested in that. I sim all of my games, and the game log gives me pretty much everything I care to know (and more).

6. Is the financial system in tuned with the constraints of the NFL system? (IE like putting a Franchise tag on a current player)

Pretty much.

7. Can you save in the middle of the week? (See #5 for reasoning of this question).

You can sim just one game of a week, then save it, yes.

8. In conjunction with #2, is there a roster pack out that would include the 2005 players that are eligible for the draft? (like Matt Leinart and Braylon Edwards)

Don't know. I use only fictional players, but if there isn't already, I'm sure there will be soon once eveyone declares.

No. Not necessary.

10. In conjunction with #5, is there a way to have 2 teams coach during a game? (I thought it would be a nice touch for playoff games..Yes I am too idealistic at times...lol)

No.

11. Is there a solid scouting system and does it depends on which scouts you have? (like scouts may not always be correct when assessing a team or Player)

Scouts are best at assessing guys on their own team. There are varying levels of scouting ability.

12. Is there a way to update or import the upcoming draft class (for future seasons) with players coming out of college?

Yes. TCY (The College Years) can export draft files, and there's some sort of draft file editor for those willing to go through a pretty tedious process to do so.

13. Will UFA be persuaded to sign with a particular team? (based on how many years in the league or being close to his home for example)

Yes, his home town, his loyalty, how many players his agent has under contract with a particular team, and his desire to play for a winner are all factors.

14. For contracts, will there be an option to have bonuses for performance? (like a RB needs 15 TDS to get a 1 million dollar bonus)

Not a performance bonus option, but voidable incentives are in the game.

15. Is there any type of media coverage in the game like post game news conferences?

Not extensive coverage. Small elements of media such as a Draft Grade and "The Green Page" (list of the league's top prospects)
Old 01-11-2005, 01:17 PM   #3
jetpunk2000
Waterboy Forever

First off, this will probably answer a lot of your game related questions.

http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/~fof/for...ad.php?t=16523

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakes
Hello. I have been looking for a NFL type sim for quite some time now in hopes of starting up a league and I came across the FOF site. I run a Hockey league (EHL) and also have played the FOF football games back when they were still available in the stores i believe the last version I have is the 2000 version. Forgive me if these questions have been answered over and over again (as I cant seem to find my previous versions around).

See link

See link

See link

As far as I know it is. Lots of leagues around here, so I'm sure someone can give you MP info.

I think the PBP is sufficient. Some people don't like it.

Yes, financial system is very close to NFL. The game is in its 5th edition, so it's been tweaked pretty well.

You can pick to sim one game at a time, or all games at once.

Not sure, but I'm sure someone will come up with a draft file.

No

Yes, very solid

Yes

There is a loyalty factor for all players.

No, but there is an option to void the last year of the contract based on performance
No

Thanks for reading and to anybody who answers.

Shakes

Give the game a shot, it's well worth the money.

Last edited by jetpunk2000 : 01-11-2005 at 01:20 PM.
jetpunk2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 01:18 PM   #4
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

1. Sort of, but not really. You can hit 'F1' on just about any screen and certain things will be discussed/covered.

2. Yes. See the reference thread (this shows me you haven't looked that hard..sorry)

3. http://www.imperialfl.us/leaguehtml/index.html - you make the call

4. Yes.

5. Yes, there's also a nice utility (made by 3ric) which allows you to "replay" old play-by-play after a game has been simmed.

6. Yes

7. In single-player, yes. In MP, no. You've got to make an export with all of your changes.

8. I don't believe there is currently a 2005 draft file, but it can be done and probably will be done at some point.

9. No. 46 active players, 7 inactive. 46-14 allowed during the preseason.

10. No.

11. Yes. There are different types of scouts on each individual team.

12. Yes. You can use exports from TCY or community-created draft files like mentioned above.

13. Yes. There are such factors as loyalty, how bad a player wants to win, and distance to hometown.

14. There isn't that type of bonus, but you can include a performance clause in the last year of a player's contract which allows him to opt out of the it.

15. No, but in single player you will receive scouting reports (that's the closest thing)
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 01:18 PM   #5
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

SkyDog!

*sigh*
Old 01-11-2005, 01:30 PM   #6
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
SkyDog!

*sigh*
{Blows smoke away from barrell. Replaces gun in holster.}
Old 01-11-2005, 01:32 PM   #7
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
{Blows smoke away from barrell. Replaces gun in holster.}

haha!

You realize I can tell if someone is replying to a thread UNLESS they are invisible?
Old 01-11-2005, 01:36 PM   #8
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
haha!

You realize I can tell if someone is replying to a thread UNLESS they are invisible?
You can blame the wignifty/Buttercup types for that.