Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-25-2003, 03:44 PM   #1
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Thumbs up Netflix

Anyone try this? I just joined, and I think I'm going to like it. $20 dollars a month and I get to rotate three dvd's. I can keep them as long as I want, and when I want a new one, I just mail one back with a pre-paid envelope. I ordered on Thursday, and I got the videos today (Saturday).

The only negative is that I don't think they send the extra features disk with the movies. I got Die Hard, and they only sent disk one.

GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 03:58 PM   #2
NevStar
High School Varsity

I've used this for over a year & have had no major problems. Previously, all the dvd's were mailed to & from California, so sometimes it'd take a week in transit. Recently they added another distribution center in the north east (in Mass. I think), so we get dvd's faster, usually within 2 days.
Old 01-25-2003, 04:05 PM   #3
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

if I watched more movies, I'd take advantage of it. as it is now, we only rent a movie every couple of months or so.

although, if our local video store went out of business, and I was stuck going to Blockbuster, then I would sign up with Netflix.
Old 01-25-2003, 04:08 PM   #4
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally posted by NevStar
I've used this for over a year & have had no major problems. Previously, all the dvd's were mailed to & from California, so sometimes it'd take a week in transit. Recently they added another distribution center in the north east (in Mass. I think), so we get dvd's faster, usually within 2 days.

Mine was mailed from Norcross, Ga. About 25 miles away.
Old 01-25-2003, 04:13 PM   #5
Tasan
College Starter

Use it GrantDawg. Its been the best $20 a month we've spent. Just make sure you make a nice long list of movies so they keep sending you stuff.
Old 01-25-2003, 04:23 PM   #6
RendeR
Coordinator

I joined up this month and am really enjoying it, no problems and the movies just keep coming, the prepaid mailing envelopes are the best feature.

my nickel

ren
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 04:30 PM   #7
Bee
Pro Starter

Yep. I like it too. I may only watch a few movies a month, but I'm horrible about forgetting to return movies to Blockbusters so it works out great for me. There's a distribution center in DC, so generally I send a movie back one day, the next day they get it and send out the next movie on my list and the day after that it's in the mail box. With 3 movies at a time, I always having something laying around to watch if I feel like it.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 04:32 PM   #8
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally posted by Bee
Yep. I like it too. I may only watch a few movies a month, but I'm horrible about forgetting to return movies to Blockbusters so it works out great for me. There's a distribution center in DC, so generally I send a movie back one day, the next day they get it and send out the next movie on my list and the day after that it's in the mail box. With 3 movies at a time, I always having something laying around to watch if I feel like it.

Tell me about it. I spend $20 dollars in late fees most months.
Old 01-25-2003, 04:35 PM   #9
Bee
Pro Starter

LOL. I think the last time I went to Blockbusters (several months ago), it cost me $40 because of late fees and the 2 movies I was renting. That's what sent me over the edge and I decided I'd be better off with Netflix.
Old 01-25-2003, 05:47 PM   #10
Daimyo
College Starter

I've been using this for 6 months and I love it. Very rarely you'll get a scratched disk, but you can alert them at their website and they'll send a new one out right away.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 06:59 PM   #11
Celeval
Pro Starter

I've had no problems with them. Re: feature disks - they actually count each as separate disks. So you can order (for example) Minority Report Disk 1 as one disk, and Disk 2 as a second.

Kevin
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 05:38 PM   #12
samifan24
Pro Starter

bump

I have been looking into this and was wondering: If you always keep three DVDs off your queue list, what happens if you want to stop after three or four DVDs/month? Will it automatically stop if my list is only the three DVDs I own or will it continue to send DVDs? Basically I'm curious about the renewal process. I checked out Netflix's website, but couldn't find much information on this.
Old 03-06-2003, 06:43 PM   #13
NevStar
High School Varsity

I'm not sure I understand your question.

Netflix doesn't work like a video store; it works on a monthly subscription price. You are not charged per DVD that is sent to you.

You're always allowed to have 3 DVDs out (they have differing rates if you choose to have more or less out at one time). As soon as they receive a return, they mail the next one on your queue. It costs the same per month if you keep the 3 for the whole month, or if you mail back quickly & get 20 DVDs.
Old 03-06-2003, 09:07 PM   #14
samifan24
Pro Starter

No, I understand that you can have as many as you want, provided you always have three at a time. My question is what happens at the end of a month?
I don't know how it works, but assume the monthly billing period ends on the 28th of March. If I send back the DVDs and Netflix receives them on the 29th, does that mean I'm billed an extra month?
Basically, is it possible to "subscribe" to Netflix on a month-by-month basis or is it only possible to sign up for months at a time? (since you always have to rotate DVDs....what happens when you run out of your list?)

Sorry this is so long-winded. I know I'm making this sound a lot more complicated than it has to be.
Old 03-06-2003, 09:23 PM   #15
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by samifan24
Sorry this is so long-winded. I know I'm making this sound a lot more complicated than it has to be.

Heck, no. Glad you asked it, I was about to ask the same question.

And, thanks in advance to the current subscribers here to answer our questions!
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 09:33 PM   #16
samifan24
Pro Starter

Ok, well here's as simple as I can make my question:

If I get billed on the 15th of each month, then if I send my movies back on the 12th, will I automatically be billed for the following month even though I don't have any movies out?

Hope this clears things up. Glad to know others have the same kinds of questions as well.
Old 03-06-2003, 09:45 PM   #17
grdawg
Mascot

sami - you are billed monthly automatically until you specifically cancel, no mater if you have 0 movies out at the beginning of you billing cycle

On a similiar note, stay away from DVD Avenue. I just cancelled them a few weeks ago. I wasn't getting any movies sent out even though i had lots in my que. Their customer service is awful also, I emailed to complain after I cancelled and didn't even get a response back.

I subscribed to Netflix over 2 yrs ago and cancelled b/c I thought they got to big, it was taking forever to get current movies, for the current subscribers, how fast do you get the new releases?
grdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 10:10 PM   #18
NevStar
High School Varsity

samifan- I'm not positive about their "official" cancellation process, but my dad signed up for their trial period (free for 2 weeks), and cancelled at the end of it, while he still had movies out. Netflix received the DVD's 3 days after the trial period was over & he was not charged.

grdawg - It was pretty bad about 6 months ago with new releases. I agree, they grew way too fast. Lately, it's been better, though. The only new release I've had on my queue for a while, "My Big Fat Greek Wedding," went from Long Wait to Short Wait to Available in only about 2 weeks after its release.

All in all, I much prefer Netflix to getting phantom late charges from Blockbuster.
Old 03-06-2003, 10:16 PM   #19
mrskippy
Banned

Netflix is the best online DVD rental service. Walmart.com has an OK one, but you never get what you want.

I got "Greek Wedding" not too long after putting it into my want list. I'm on five at a time ($29.95) and sometimes if my top choice isn't immediately available they'll send it right away after it is and give me six at a time.

I typically am shipped new releases right away. Of course, I usually put them on my list the day they are released in theaters and put them at No. 1 the moment they are available to be put there.
mrskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 11:12 PM   #20
KWhit
Coordinator

Love Netflix. We watch 3-4 movies a week. It has saved us tons of money from the Big Satan Blockbuster.

It's a great way to go through all the box sets I've been putting off watching like Band of Brothers and Sports Night.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 01:00 PM   #21
Arbitrary Aardvark
n00b

Another great advantage Netflix has is that it actually has quite a lot of moves. Most Blockbusters near where I live are about 1/3 video games, and 1/3 current releases.
Arbitrary Aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 01:17 PM   #22
Bee
Pro Starter

The only new release I had to wait on was Signs. It took about a week before I ended up getting it, but I got my second choice in between so it was ok. Other movies I've gotten as soon as I put it on my queue. I got Knockaround Guys the day after it was released, haven't watched it yet though.

I'm not sure about the billing question. It's not the type of service where I'd see a reason to use it for a month and then cancel it, but I'm sure you could do that and not pay an extra month. I think the first 2 weeks are free anyway, so you could just do 2 weeks if that's what you wanted to do. *shurg*