Old 01-09-2005, 11:25 PM   #1
Bomber
High School Varsity

Green to AZ

Quote:
reen, D'Backs agree on three-year contract

Associated Press
Jan. 9, 2005 09:54 PM

PHOENIX - Arizona and Shawn Green reached an agreement in principal Sunday night on a three-year, $30 million contract that would clear the way for the Los Angeles Dodgers slugger to waive his no-trade clause and be dealt to the Diamondbacks.

Green will come to Phoenix for a physical on Monday, Diamondbacks general partner Ken Kendrick said.

The deal will give Green $10.5 million this year, $8 million in 2006 and $9.5 million in 2007. The agreement includes a mutual option for a fourth year, with a $2 million buyout should the Diamondbacks decide not to retain Green, Kendrick said.
advertisement

The deal was reached about four hours before the 48-hour window to negotiate granted by Major League Baseball was to end at 1 a.m.

Green's agreement to waive his no-trade clause would pave the way for a trade that would send him and $10 million from the Dodgers to the Diamondbacks for four minor league players, including catching prospect Dioner Navarro and pitcher William Juarez.

Green had been due $16 million for next season, the final year of his contract, but agreed to restructure it with the Diamondbacks.

The Dodgers need to complete the trade to sign World Series hero Derek Lowe, who has agreed in principal to a four-year contract worth about $36 million.

Navarro is to come to the Diamondbacks as part of the trade of Randy Johnson to the New York Yankees. That deal is expected to become official once the players involved pass physicals on Monday.

The Diamondbacks also get pitchers Javier Vazquez and Brad Halsey, along with $9 million, from the Yankees.

"Our view of this is that we effectively traded Randy Johnson for Vazuquez, Halsey, Shawn Green and $19 million," Kendrick said.

Arizona and Los Angeles have made three stabs at trading Green. The first one fell apart when a 10-player, three-team megadeal involving the Yankees collapsed. A second attempt failed when the Diamondbacks and Green could not agree on a contract in an earlier 48-hour negotiating window granted by the MLB.

The second try was more fruitful because the Dodgers upped their cash contribution from $8 million to $10 million in exchange for getting two more minor league players.

Green had expressed his desire to end his career with the Dodgers, but the team's' repeated attempts to trade him had made him willing to listen to the Diamondbacks offer.

Green, 32, would play right field for Arizona, Kendrick has said. The left-handed batter hit 49 home runs for the Dodgers in 2001 and 42 in 2002, but his power dropped off significantly the past two seasons.

He did, however, hit 18 home runs with 45 RBIs after the All-Star break last season to help the Dodgers win the NL West title.

Arizona lost 111 games last season, but the ownership group that took over a year ago had vowed to try to build a contender in a hurry. The Diamondbacks have signed free agent third baseman Troy Glaus and pitcher Russ Ortiz.

The Diamondbacks hired an outside negotiator, Mark Rosenthal, for the Green talks because Arizona's chairman Jeff Moorad used to be Green's agent.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diam...9green-ON.html

Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 11:35 PM   #2
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Wow - great move. Basically, they get Green for a net cost of $20 million over three years while giving up their third best catcher prospect (Navarro - Hill and Snyder are better IMO), Juarez (AA pitcher) and two other low minors pitchers. According to the radio, none of the pitchers are currently in the DBacks top prospect list. This is a coup for Arizona and should allow them to bring in another pitcher and CF.
Old 01-09-2005, 11:38 PM   #3
Bomber
High School Varsity

"Our view of this is that we effectively traded Randy Johnson for Vazquez, Halsey, Shawn Green and $19 million," Kendrick said

Green and Vazquez are basically free next year, right? Halsey could be a good lefty from the pen.
Old 01-09-2005, 11:42 PM   #4
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Hmmm, didn't know that the Dodgers had basically signed Lowe. Looks like reports of their pitching staff's demise were overexaggerated .
Old 01-09-2005, 11:46 PM   #5
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber
"Our view of this is that we effectively traded Randy Johnson for Vazquez, Halsey, Shawn Green and $19 million," Kendrick said

Green and Vazquez are basically free next year, right? Halsey could be a good lefty from the pen.
No, Green is locked up until 2007, with a mutual option for 08. Vazquez is also under contract until after the 2007 season.

The only way Vazquez could leave is if he decides to request a trade after this season and Arizona doesn't trade him. He would then have the option of voiding the final two years and $24 million left on his contract on March 15, 2006 and becoming an FA (well after all the big money has been spent on FAs). That seems like a big stretch as I doubt he would get more than $12 mil a season in March.

I think both players will be in Arizona for the next 2-3 seasons unless they get a great deal for Vazquez.

Last edited by Arles : 01-09-2005 at 11:48 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 11:50 PM   #6
Bomber
High School Varsity

I didn't mean free agents, I meant free. As in Vazquez is making 10.5 million, I think, and Green 10 million. That's 20.5, they're geting $19. That's just about free, unless I have the contracts wrong.
Old 01-09-2005, 11:54 PM   #7
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
I didn't mean free agents, I meant free. As in Vazquez is making 10.5 million, I think, and Green 10 million. That's 20.5, they're geting $19. That's just about free, unless I have the contracts wrong.
Oops, read your post wrong. I thought you meant they would be FAs after this season

Yeah, Green will cost the DBacks 500K in 05 and Vazquez will cost Arizona $6 mil in 05, $8.5 in 06 and $9.5 in 07 (Yankees are sending the $9 mil in $3 mil increments each of the next three seasons). So, the two will cost $6.5 million combined in 05.

Also, Halsey will have a shot at the 5th spot in the rotation as well.

Last edited by Arles : 01-09-2005 at 11:55 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 11:58 PM   #8
Bomber
High School Varsity

Halsey is one of those guys I always wanted to see the Yankees give a legit shot. How much worse could have been for us last year than the Run Fairy?
Old 01-09-2005, 11:59 PM   #9
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Halsey is one of those guys I always wanted to see the Yankees give a legit shot. How much worse could have been for us last year than the Run Fairy?
Yeah, well, I think the Yankees will have a slightly better lefty in their rotation for 05
Old 01-10-2005, 12:01 AM   #10
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

As long as he doesn't realize his age and breaks down .
Old 01-10-2005, 12:03 AM   #11
Bomber
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles
Yeah, well, I think the Yankees will have a slightly better lefty in their rotation for 05

Well yeah, but I meant in the pen as a LOOGY over Heredia, the Run Fairy, last year.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:03 AM   #12
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

A big if .
Old 01-10-2005, 12:04 AM   #13
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I think RJ will be good for atleast 05. Paying him $16 mil for 07 when he is 43 does sound a little dicey. But I think the Yanks could afford to eat that year if he gets the two titles in the meantime
Old 01-10-2005, 12:07 AM   #14
Bomber
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles
I think RJ will be good for atleast 05. Paying him $16 mil for 07 when he is 43 does sound a little dicey. But I think the Yanks could afford to eat that year if he gets the two titles in the meantime

This Yankee fan will settle for one in 2005. The 5 year grace period from complaints is about to run out.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:10 AM   #15
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Blame Steinbrenner... he's acting like if the 80s never happened. Someone should tell him that the late 90s Yankees were a TEAM and not a collection of all stars.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:18 AM   #16
Bomber
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
Blame Steinbrenner... he's acting like if the 80s never happened. Someone should tell him that the late 90s Yankees were a TEAM and not a collection of all stars.

I'd be happy if we were collecting All-Stars. Out of the guys we're bringing in only Johnson has the potential to be an All-Star, in my opinion. Pavano and his K rate are a recipe for disaster. Wright's shoulder, and lack of success scares me. Womack is just god awful. The one guy we should have signed, Beltran, we let walk. He would have given us Bernie Williams in his prime for 5 or 6 more years.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:21 AM   #17
Arles
Grey Dog Software

While still on the DBacks, it looks like the team is close to signing Shawn Estes to be their No. 4 or 5 starter and bringing in Steve Reed on the cheap for the pen. There's another rumor that Arizona is trying to deal for Eric Byrnes from Oakland to play CF. I guess he's scheduled to get a bit of a bump in salary from arbitration and the A's brought in Charles Thomas from the Braves. I'm guessing the deal would include one of Arizona's young middle infielders (Alex Cintron, Matt Kata or Scott Hairston). Finally, it looks like the DBacks will pull the trigger on the Hillenbrand to Toronto deal tomorrow.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:31 AM   #18
SackAttack
Head Coach

I'm interested to hear who the other minor leaguers are. Are we remotely considering starting Navarro behind the plate next year, or does that job belong to David Ross? I know Brent Mayne walked.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 12:31 AM   #19
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'd be happy if we were collecting All-Stars. Out of the guys we're bringing in only Johnson has the potential to be an All-Star, in my opinion. Pavano and his K rate are a recipe for disaster. Wright's shoulder, and lack of success scares me. Womack is just god awful. The one guy we should have signed, Beltran, we let walk. He would have given us Bernie Williams in his prime for 5 or 6 more years.

Well, of course one of the problems with Beltran is that he would have cost more in luxury tax than in salary . And you got A-Rod last year. An all-star a year is still a lot.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:32 AM   #20
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
Well, of course one of the problems with Beltran is that he would have cost more in luxury tax than in salary . And you got A-Rod last year. An all-star a year is still a lot.
GALACTICOS!@#$!!!
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 06:44 AM   #21
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This Yankee fan will settle for one in 2005. The 5 year grace period from complaints is about to run out.

and god knows that we want to keep Yankees fans from complaining..
Old 01-10-2005, 07:26 AM   #22
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack
I'm interested to hear who the other minor leaguers are. Are we remotely considering starting Navarro behind the plate next year, or does that job belong to David Ross? I know Brent Mayne walked.
The low minors guys are:

Beltran Perez

Danny Meugge

Neither are ranked on Arizona's top prospect list and Perez missed all of 2003 with arm issues and was moved to the bullpen in 04. Muegge looks a little better as he was a 19th round pick by Arizona in 2003 and had a nice season in class A last year. Outside of that, I don't know much about either guy.
Old 01-10-2005, 08:01 AM   #23
PilotMan
Head Coach

How did this get to be about the damn Yanks again? I feel like Lowe could be good in LA, but I am certaily leery. I just remember the whole Calos Perez debacle. Really don't want that to happen again.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 09:19 AM   #24
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Am I the only person who thought this thread was revived from last year?
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote