ESPN.com says he's gone.

What did he die of?
Old 01-08-2005, 11:15 PM   #4
SackAttack
Head Coach

Financial anemia, one supposes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPN
Carlos Beltran let Saturday night's deadline to re-sign with the Houston Astros pass without an agreement, leaving the New York Mets in prime position to add the speedy center fielder.

Both the Mets and the Astros were on the telephone Saturday night with Beltran's agent, Scott Boras. While Houston had to sign him by midnight or lose rights until May 1, the Mets and other teams did not have that restriction.

Just after the deadline passed, Boras said he was still negotiating New York.

The Mets, who haven't made the playoffs since 2000, were trying to pull off a coup for the second time this offseason. They lured three-time Cy Young Award winner Pedro Martinez from the Boston Red Sox last month with a $53 million, four-year deal.

By allowing the deadline to pass without an agreement, Beltran could be hoping other teams, such as the New York Yankees, resume their pursuit. The Chicago Cubs also are thought to be interested.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 11:16 PM   #5
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Why would anyone want to play for the mets?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 11:17 PM   #6
SackAttack
Head Coach

I think Boras would be happy to show you about 200 million reasons (assuming Minaya can be persuaded to pony up that much).
Old 01-08-2005, 11:44 PM   #7
Bomber
High School Varsity

The only thing I see ESPN reporting is that the Astros are no longer in the bidding. Are the Mets the only team left? Because most articles about this are saying he hasn't signed with them yet.
Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 11:46 PM   #8
SackAttack
Head Coach

Mets and Cubs are the teams confirmed to still be in the chase. There's some speculation that the Yankees may get reinvolved (although I bet that spec comes out of the Boras camp), and with Green apparently bound for Arizona, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Dodgers make an offer.

I'm not counting on it, mind you, not with Drew, Perez, and apparently Lowe signing in recent days, but I also wouldn't bat an eyelash if they did jump into the bidding. Even with Drew and Bradley, you still need a 3rd OF, and Werth is recovering from elbow surgery. *shrug*
Old 01-08-2005, 11:56 PM   #9
ShaefIllini
Mascot

I'm not going to shed a tear over this development. Beltran not going back to Houston could (hopefully) trigger some more events that would vastly diminish their hope for contending next year.

Ideally I'd like to see the Cubs get involved, but with the Tribune Company I'm not getting my hopes up. I'm just glad he's not going back to Houston.

Last edited by ShaefIllini : 01-08-2005 at 11:57 PM.
ShaefIllini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 12:12 AM   #10
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaefIllini
Ideally I'd like to see the Cubs get involved, but with the Tribune Company I'm not getting my hopes up. I'm just glad he's not going back to Houston.

Eh, I'm not a fan of those ungodly long term contracts. They just never, ever, ever, ever work. If the Trib really did offer up that 5 year deal they're reporting (I do concur, you never know with those nuts), that's acceptable. But Beltran ain't gonna take it, unfortunately.

And keep in mind. Beltran Hasn't Proven Enough, in my book. If you're demanding damn near 20 mill a year, I wanna see a couple years of around .300/30/100.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 01-09-2005 at 12:14 AM.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 12:17 AM   #11
ShaefIllini
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord
Eh, I'm not a fan of those ungodly long term contracts. They just never, ever, ever, ever work. If the Trib really did offer up that 5 year deal they're reporting (I do concur, you never know with those nuts), that's acceptable. But Beltran ain't gonna take it, unfortunately.

And keep in mind. Beltran Hasn't Proven Enough, in my book. If you're demanding damn near 20 mill a year, I wanna see a couple years of around .300/30/100.

Good points...I guess the only good part about the Tribune Company is that if the bidding to Beltran gets any higher than it is now, they'd leap out of the race as soon as possible.

On a side note...what if the Mets try to lowball Beltran now? They are miles ahead of the Cubs offer, and their main competition is now out of the running. Probably not feasible for many reasons, but it's a thought that jumped in my head.
ShaefIllini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 01:22 AM   #12
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Ok, I do have to say I am a little surprised, and disappointed in this. From what I heard over the last few days on the old radio, the Astros final offer was 7 years at $105 mill. The Mets are at 7 years/112 mill. That is 15 mill a year from the Astros to 16 mill from the Mets. I also understand that when if figure in taxes he will pay in New York, it actually balances out the difference.

Only thing I can think of was he was not as comfortable in Houston as he made it seem. Otherwise why leave for 'The Big City' where they will tear you to shreds in the media when you hit your average .290, 30 homers, and have 105 RBI (from what I understand these are all around his career best numbers).
Old 01-09-2005, 09:54 AM   #13
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Sorry Jeebs.

Yeah right....

Todd

Last edited by MizzouRah : 01-09-2005 at 11:33 AM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 10:15 AM   #14
bigdawg2003
High School Varsity

I don't understand the point of the rule that forbids the Astros from negotiating until May 1. Why should the team he's with be punished?
Old 01-09-2005, 10:53 AM   #15
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Its a CBA thing- meant to force a decision. It did.

And even money says he goes to the Yankees now.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 11:03 AM   #16
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer
Ok, I do have to say I am a little surprised, and disappointed in this. From what I heard over the last few days on the old radio, the Astros final offer was 7 years at $105 mill. The Mets are at 7 years/112 mill. That is 15 mill a year from the Astros to 16 mill from the Mets. I also understand that when if figure in taxes he will pay in New York, it actually balances out the difference.

I believe in that situation, the Astros' offer would actually come out ahead.

With Boras, as always, its about the money. He takes pride and puffs his chest out at the numbers he gets his clients. If it were legal, I wouldn't be surprised if he negotiated contracts that ended up as being 5 years, worth $500 million, with a backloaded $450 million salary in the fifth year that could be bought out for $1 million. (as long as, of course, the team didn't publicize this little, mundane detail)

And as a Met fan, I'd be extremely happy if he comes here. With Beltran, Cameron, Wright, Reyes and Matsui (making the short throw from 2nd base should dramatically improve his fielding), we have 5 excellent gloves. While Wright is still developing his running game, the other 4 should all steal a minimum of 30 bases, with Beltran, Reyes (if he can stay healthy), and Matsui having potential for many more than that.

For so long, the Mets have been so slow, as a team, and have been so bad at doing the fundamental things that are necessary to win games (any Met fan can probably count on one hand the times they've witnessed a Met going from 1st to 3rd on anything but a dribbling single that finds its way past the 1st and 2nd basemen). They are starting to bring in the right players to fix this. And yes, I'll forget about Omar's fascination with Sammy Sosa.

People who are being critical of this potential signing here in NY have one main argument: His power numbers will drop big-time playing in Shea Stadium. To that, I have two counterpoints:

1. When Cameron was brought in last year, he saved our pitching staff an unbelievable amount of runs (ESPN.com had an article analyzing the runs given up by the Mets', pre- and post- his signing, and the Mariners, pre- and post- his leaving. Needless to say, I was very surprised at the results.). Bringing in Beltran allows the Mets to shift Cameron over to right, where he will (hopefully) provide the same type of improvement over the crap we've had in RF the past few years.

2. Sure, he will probably hit fewer HRs. Everyone we've brought in has seen a drop in that stat. But the types of long-ball hitters we've signed/traded for in the past have been just that -- big swingers who hit long, high bombs. These are the types of balls that get caught up in the swirling winds, and die at the warning track.

In my fairly limited experience watching him, Beltran doesn't seem to be that type of HR hitter. The ball seems to explode off his bat, and quickly get out of the park. I feel like his balls (hehe ) won't suffer the same consequences, and even if they do end up dying, they would have been hit sharply enough to fall into the gaps before the OFs can get there, resulting in doubles and triples. Prediction: He hits fewer homers, but his slugging percentage remains very high.

Last edited by Logan : 01-09-2005 at 11:04 AM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 12:45 PM   #17
miked
College Starter

Excellent...16M/year for a guy who will hit about .270/20 in Shea...he'll be the 2nd best defensive CF on the team (Cameron is better) and he might steal some bases. This is just what GMs need...I'm tired of this 5 tool thing. His BA has declined, his power has improved slightly and his career OPS is under .900, but if Boras tells you bid 15+, then you must bid 15+.

A cynical baseball fan.
miked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 12:47 PM   #18
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked
A cynical baseball fan.

Ya think?
Old 01-09-2005, 12:58 PM   #19
Bomber
High School Varsity

Beltran hit 15 dingers in 69 games at Kaufman, which according to ESPN's Park Factors was every bit as hard a place to hit them as Shea. He also had an OPS+ of 136 there. I love the signing for the Mets and I wish it were the Yankees doing it.
Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 01:14 PM   #20
Logan
Head Coach

Seems to be done at 7 years, $119 million.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseba...span-headlines
Old 01-09-2005, 01:21 PM   #21
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber
Beltran hit 15 dingers in 69 games at Kaufman, which according to ESPN's Park Factors was every bit as hard a place to hit them as Shea. He also had an OPS+ of 136 there. I love the signing for the Mets and I wish it were the Yankees doing it.

His numbers at Kauffman last year:
By Stadium AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB HBP SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS
Kauffman Stadium 132 24 30 5
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 01:24 PM   #22
Easy Mac

numbers last 3 years:
By Stadium AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB HBP SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS
Kauffman Stadium 707 141 207 31
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 03:02 PM   #23
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

While the cost may be high, I think the marketing power of Beltran, especially after last year's playoffs, will offset some of the high salary. The merchandizing of Beltran will make the Mets some good money.
Old 01-09-2005, 03:12 PM   #24
Tasan
College Starter

Great, just great. Now all I get to hear on already-piss-poor Houston area sports radio is "waaa waaa waaa we didn't get Beltran we're gonna suck." For the love of Pete, please let the 'Stros find someone or resign Roger so the idiots here can move on.
Old 01-09-2005, 03:20 PM   #25
Bad-example
College Starter

A smart decision by Beltran. Sure he has little chance of winning a championship with the Mets, but he got his $$$ and in a couple years when he is traded to the Yankees he won't have to move.

Of course, the best part of the deal for him is escaping from Texas.
Drinking like a lumberjack and singing Delta Dawn
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 04:17 PM   #26
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I believe a big factor is that Signing bonus's are medicare tax free thru the 11th of january, and after that will be taxed at a normal rate. At least thats what the impetus to get a deal done early is.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 05:09 PM   #27
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasan
Great, just great. Now all I get to hear on already-piss-poor Houston area sports radio is "waaa waaa waaa we didn't get Beltran we're gonna suck." For the love of Pete, please let the 'Stros find someone or resign Roger so the idiots here can move on.

What's the word on Roger? Haven't heard if he's coming back or not. To me, without signing Beltran, getting Clemens to come back is key for Houston this year.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote