Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-07-2005, 11:35 AM   #1
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

T.O. in "Complaining about Playing Time" Shocker!!!

Here: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ish/index.html

Everyone's favorite ESPN correspondent, Stephen A. Smith, apparently went to see T.O. and his injured ankle. Amongst other things, T.O. went off about how his production went down towards the end of the season.

Big surprise.

Anyway, I'm tempted to rename this "Obnoxious Journalist Goads Loudmouth Attention Seeking Wide Receiver into More Dumb Comments Shocker!!!"

flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 11:42 AM   #2
Suicane75
Coordinator

Now wait just a minute. They take 3 words from TO and then write around it, as if its his whole quote, this just looks like bush league writing at it's worst.

There it is, folks. Anyone who had the "over" in the Terrell Owens Bad Teammate pool had better pay up. By the time he had finished speaking with Smith, T.O. had reverted to the form that had made him such a favorite with quarterbacks and offensive coaches in San Francisco. He complained about not getting the ball enough, even though the Eagles raged to a 13-1 record while he was available. He revealed that he could have "said more" about it, too, but kept his mouth shut to promote harmony. Thanks, Terrell!

There are exactly 2 words in that whole paragraph attributed to TO. Why not quote the who damn thing. I call bullshit until I see a transcript. No wonder athletes get pissed off about context.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 11:42 AM   #3
heybrad
Norm!!!

TO is a dick, but I didnt see anything overly horrible in all of that. Of course its Stephen A Smith writing it and he certainly wouldnt want to be overexagerating an issue.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 11:43 AM   #4
cuervo72
Head Coach

Looks like a case of a writer trying to take a *very* small part of a quote and wrap controversy around it. Non-issue.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:44 AM   #5
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72
Looks like a case of a writer trying to take a *very* small part of a quote and wrap controversy around it. Non-issue.

Yeah, what he said.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:46 AM   #6
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Stephen A Smith is a dick...he's a hack writer.
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 11:47 AM   #7
timmynausea
College Starter

I hate Stephen A. Smith. I'm glad to hear that others also think he sucks.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 11:51 AM   #8
Suicane75
Coordinator

Just to note, the article linked is not a Steven A Smith article, its simply an article about Steven A Smiths article, right?

Either way, im blasting the article linked, but i also agree that SAS is a dick.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:54 AM   #9
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Steven A. Smith belongs on CBS.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:57 AM   #10
JeeberD
General Manager

Damn, not sure which of those two I hate more...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 12:37 PM   #11
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Any segment on ESPN involving two guys "facing off" and answering questions "in the drill" is unwatchable. Does anyone remember when John Clayton and Skip Bayless used to actually be good sources of information before selling themselves to the devil? Stephen A. Smith is the poster child for everything wrong with ESPN.

Interestingly, in sports we talk about the dilution of talent with the emergence of new sports and expansion of teams and rosters. The same thing has happened in other industries, and sports journalism is no exception. With ESPN, ESPN 2, Fox, and every other cable sports operation, there are thousands of hours of programming required. With so many hours, it is inevitable that no-talent hacks are going to work their way into the system.

I'm just amazed that some demographic focus group out there likes Steven A. Smith and Skip Bayless arguing. I would love to round this people up and introduce them to a preferred method of birth control to help the next step in evolution.

Last edited by kcchief19 : 01-07-2005 at 12:37 PM.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 12:46 PM   #12
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19
Any segment on ESPN involving two guys "facing off" and answering questions "in the drill" is unwatchable. Does anyone remember when John Clayton and Skip Bayless used to actually be good sources of information before selling themselves to the devil? Stephen A. Smith is the poster child for everything wrong with ESPN.

Interestingly, in sports we talk about the dilution of talent with the emergence of new sports and expansion of teams and rosters. The same thing has happened in other industries, and sports journalism is no exception. With ESPN, ESPN 2, Fox, and every other cable sports operation, there are thousands of hours of programming required. With so many hours, it is inevitable that no-talent hacks are going to work their way into the system.

I'm just amazed that some demographic focus group out there likes Steven A. Smith and Skip Bayless arguing. I would love to round this people up and introduce them to a preferred method of birth control to help the next step in evolution.

They should fight to the death...Thunderdome!!!
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 12:48 PM   #13
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Whoever starting that f-ing countdown clock for every discussion taking place regarding sports is a deadman.

It's on every f-ing show.
Old 01-09-2005, 04:01 PM   #14
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Today's gold from the files of Steven A. Smith: he ripped Marty Schottenheimer on the Sports Reporters from not kicking the 40-yeard field goal on third down in OT so that if Kaeding missed he would have another chance.

Apparently Steven is such a football expert he doesn't know that the ball turns over on a missed field goal. The only reason teams kick a field goal on third down is in case of a botched snap and to avoid a turnover.

Can't they trade him to Fox Sports for some used toner cartridges?
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 04:03 PM   #15
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Steven A Smith reminds me of a mini Whitlock.. and thats not a compliment
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote