Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-08-2005, 09:51 AM   #1
BoNINwie
n00b

My problem with magnetic yellow ribbons!

This has become my new pet peeve and I just want to make sure our fine FOF/TCY Owners, Coaches, GM's don't do the same mistake!
The yellow ribbon is supposed to have the open end at the bottom and the words "Support Our Troops" should be slanting slightly upwards on the right end of the ribbon...I am getting so tired of people defacing these tokens of support for our troops by turning the ribbon so it makes some what of a cross/fish shape where the open end is on the left and you can read "Support Our Troops" straight across. Though maybe mimimal in comparison to flying the USA flag upside down this is absurd! I don't know if it is a religious thing, but if so, buy a fish and a cross don't transform your yellow ribbon into them.

BoNINwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 09:54 AM   #2
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I tend to be a stickler for the "proper" way to hang things (flags, etc.) but I have to confess that I've never heard of any "ribbon etiquette" when it comes to unofficial symbols of recognition. Could you maybe point me toward somewhere that has more details about the right/wrong ways to display things like this?
Old 01-08-2005, 10:02 AM   #3
BoNINwie
n00b

CHECK THIS OUT!

I found a person who is talking about exactly what I mean....

go to this page......

http://www.macphoenix.com/creative/b...es/000286.html

(i'm glad I am not alone)
Old 01-08-2005, 10:53 AM   #4
Flasch186
Coordinator

erasing from brain to make room for more substantial stuff....done

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 11:45 AM   #5
Pyser
Pro Rookie

i read somewhere that putting the ribbon up sideways means you support the troops, but not the war itself.

i dont think most people know that though, so i doubt it means anything at all. most likely, people just put them sideways so its easier to read the text. i dont think there is a jesus connotation, though it sure looks like a jesus fish to me.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 12:28 PM   #6
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

http://www.flagandbanner.com/press/center.asp

Use of a yellow ribbon has been an unofficial American tradition for over 100 years. Displaying a yellow ribbon indicates thoughts and prayers for the safe return of American forces on duty away from home. No official guidelines for its display exist but yellow ribbons are often tied to trees and light poles or displayed in miniature on the left lapel of jackets or other clothing. When displayed with an American flag the preferred position of the yellow ribbon is tied in a bow above a full-staffed flag.

Note that displaying a black or yellow ribbon above the American flag is not considered a breech of Flag Etiquette because the ribbon does not represent another country or organization.

Information courtesy of the Flag Research Center, Winchester, MA. and the National Flag Foundation, Pittsburgh, PA. For more detailed information regarding Flag Etiquette contact the National Flag Foundation at 800-615-1776.
Old 01-08-2005, 12:28 PM   #7
Tom E
H.S. Freshman Team

Somebody stole my Mom's Yellow Ribbon off her car...Only in America

I'll Never Forget What's Her Name...

A Democrat is Somebody who Knows the Issues, a Republican is Somebody who Understands the Issues...
Tom E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 01:35 PM   #8
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoNINwie
This has become my new pet peeve and I just want to make sure our fine FOF/TCY Owners, Coaches, GM's don't do the same mistake!
The yellow ribbon is supposed to have the open end at the bottom and the words "Support Our Troops" should be slanting slightly upwards on the right end of the ribbon...I am getting so tired of people defacing these tokens of support for our troops by turning the ribbon so it makes some what of a cross/fish shape where the open end is on the left and you can read "Support Our Troops" straight across. Though maybe mimimal in comparison to flying the USA flag upside down this is absurd! I don't know if it is a religious thing, but if so, buy a fish and a cross don't transform your yellow ribbon into them.

You know what you are? You're a ribbon bully!
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 01:40 PM   #9
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd
You know what you are? You're a ribbon bully!

He won't wear the ribbon!?
Bubba Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 06:26 PM   #10
Telle
College Starter

I just assumed that some people put them sideways because their car didn't have a large enough spot to put them vertical.
Telle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 06:29 PM   #11
Easy Mac

I thought they were colorful Jesus fish... I even drew legs on my sister's
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 06:35 PM   #12
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186
erasing from brain to make room for more substantial stuff....done

what he said, this has gotta be one of the most rediculous things to have a pet peeve about that I've ever heard of. Then again the real definition of a pet peeve is "petty complaint" so I suppose it works.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 06:36 PM   #13
Easy Mac

I hate it when people say "you're my boy, blue", when the line is actually "blue, you're my boy."
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 06:55 PM   #14
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac
I hate it when people say "you're my boy, blue", when the line is actually "blue, you're my boy."

It's about time someone got this correct. You my boy blue.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote