Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-08-2005, 01:14 PM   #1
maximus
Banned

Need some NFL clarification

I keep hearing that there are a couple teams wanting to move to Los Angles. The teams I have heard that are thinking of doing this are the Saints and the Vikings. ESPN100 (in Chicago) reported this a few times and the last I heard of it was last week. Can anyone explain what the deal is with these teams moving and what it will take to keep those teams at their present cities? I'm more of a historic guy and I would hate for the NFL to start moving those teams around.

maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 01:17 PM   #2
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Simple: Stadium deals. Either the cities listed pony up, or the teams threaten to move. Had also heard last year Cincinnati and Indianapolis were in the mix, probably not the Bengals anymore.
Bubba Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 01:20 PM   #3
maximus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Wheels
Simple: Stadium deals. Either the cities listed pony up, or the teams threaten to move. Had also heard last year Cincinnati and Indianapolis were in the mix, probably not the Bengals anymore.

Wow, Indy too huh. I think they finalized a deal sometime this past year for a new stadium so that should stop them from moving.

I'm not a Vikings fan (I'm a Bears fan) but I would hate to see a division rival move.
Old 01-08-2005, 01:23 PM   #4
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus
Wow, Indy too huh. I think they finalized a deal sometime this past year for a new stadium so that should stop them from moving.

I'm not a Vikings fan (I'm a Bears fan) but I would hate to see a division rival move.

I believe that the Vikings have been up for sale the last 2yrs. One of the reasons that Tice is maintained as head coach: He's cheap. And when you look to sell a franchise in any sport, you want the bottom line as low as possible. IMO, I would put the Vikes at the top of the list for possible sale/move.
Old 01-08-2005, 01:25 PM   #5
waitforit
n00b

Rumor was the Colts were targeted, but I believe they recently completed a deal for a new stadium. I also remember hearing the Chargers were a possibility. If I was the NFL I would look into moving the Jaguars. From what I read they can't come close to selling enough tickets to stop local blackout of home games, even this year with a decent team. Would also consider moving the Chargers if they can't get a new stadium secured, or simply placing a new expansion team there. I doubt however that they would expand only one team, because I believe that they finally have a "balanced" amount of teams for scheduling.
waitforit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 01:26 PM   #6
maximus
Banned

Being sold is OK as long as they stay in Minnesota. There have been some good games between them and the Bears. I guess we shall see.
Old 01-08-2005, 01:28 PM   #7
maximus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by waitforit
Rumor was the Colts were targeted, but I believe they recently completed a deal for a new stadium. I also remember hearing the Chargers were a possibility. If I was the NFL I would look into moving the Jaguars. From what I read they can't come close to selling enough tickets to stop local blackout of home games, even this year with a decent team. Would also consider moving the Chargers if they can't get a new stadium secured, or simply placing a new expansion team there. I doubt however that they would expand only one team, because I believe that they finally have a "balanced" amount of teams for scheduling.

Thats a good idea. The Jags are fairly new (10 yrs) so losing the historic part of it wouldn't be to bad. I hate seeing any team move but if it had to be, I would rather see a newer team move.
Old 01-08-2005, 01:30 PM   #8
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Anyone that thinks the Vikings are going anywhere are crazy. Tagliabue and a large majority of the owners would never let it happen.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 01:35 PM   #9
maximus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
Anyone that thinks the Vikings are going anywhere are crazy. Tagliabue and a large majority of the owners would never let it happen.

Like I said, I heard this on ESPN radio and they mentioned them close to the top of the list. Because it came from ESPN doesn't make it true but just the fact that the Vikings name was invloved kinda erked me.

Last edited by maximus : 01-08-2005 at 01:35 PM.
Old 01-08-2005, 01:42 PM   #10
Flasch186
Coordinator

I live here and i can tell you the Jags arent going anywhere anytime soon. The stadium is enormous which is a good thing but for some reason the past 4 years the team has done little to nothing to endear themselves to the community. Off the top of my head i cant think of anything special that they do here to get the city excited about the players.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 01:44 PM   #11
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186
I live here and i can tell you the Jags arent going anywhere anytime soon. The stadium is enormous which is a good thing but for some reason the past 4 years the team has done little to nothing to endear themselves to the community. Off the top of my head i cant think of anything special that they do here to get the city excited about the players.

Its not the stadium size that counts. Lions had the Silverdome, largest in league at 80,000 seats and had the worst deal cause they got nothing from the concessions business or parking. Its all about Luxury boxes, concessions revenue and parking.
Old 01-08-2005, 01:47 PM   #12
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar

You're living in a dreamland if you think the Vikings aren't one of the top 2 teams the NFL is targeting for a move.

They want to be in LA more than they want to maintain history, rivalries, etc.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 01:48 PM   #13
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186

Won't be as enormous next year.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 01:59 PM   #14
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchjm24
Won't be as enormous next year.

Are they taking seats out? It wouldn't be a bad idea. They may not sell out, but they are 14th in attendance overall for the year. Arizona is the worst at almost half the Jaguars' average attendance.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 02:12 PM   #15
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I think the new stadium in Arizona will end up being a big mistake. Arizona has never cared about that team, and it's already been a team historically on the move (Chicago-> St. Louis -> Arizona). It would have made the most sense just to keep there journey west going and dump them in L.A.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 02:15 PM   #16
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
You're living in a dreamland if you think the Vikings aren't one of the top 2 teams the NFL is targeting for a move.

I disagree.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 03:00 PM   #17
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg
Are they taking seats out? It wouldn't be a bad idea. They may not sell out, but they are 14th in attendance overall for the year. Arizona is the worst at almost half the Jaguars' average attendance.

Covering seats. You have to sell out or it kills you.
Old 01-08-2005, 03:01 PM   #18
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000

I've heard the rumblings that they don't mind not being in LA as that gives them the ability to put on the best national games on TV and from that they get better ratings they could get if they had to show the local team. I don't know what the exact numbers are but it does make some sense.
Old 01-08-2005, 03:28 PM   #19
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchjm24
Covering seats. You have to sell out or it kills you.

yup shouldnt be as hard next season

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 04:25 PM   #20
temley06
H.S. Freshman Team

The Colts and Indy came to an agreement. Funding for the stadium, which was proposed to include pull-tabs (basically slot machines), still needs to be hashed out. If the legislature approves it the retractable roof stadium is set to open in 2008.
temley06 is offline   Reply With Quote