Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-07-2005, 01:12 PM   #1
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Goin' to San Diego!

Hello fellow-FOFC'ers.

I just booked my flight for a trip to San Diego, arriving on the night of the 25th and leaving the morning of the 29th.

However, I've never been there.
Of import is finding a place that will be showing ESPN, specifically, the Maryland-Duke game on 1/26. So, where's a bar that two recent Masters grads can go, hang out, get great beer, and watch what will either be a great game or a dismal travesty. Either way, we're not the richest people on the face of the Earth (yet), but we want to have a good time.

Taking all suggestions for things we have to do in SD, places we have to go, and of course, the bar we should hit to watch our game.

~tk

terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 01:13 PM   #2
Vince
Pro Starter

Well, that's about 4 hours south of me, so I can't help. If you manage to make it up to Santa Barbara however, I'll be happy to help you out
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 01:40 PM   #3
Franklinnoble
Banned

Sac-town here... sorry... no help.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 01:41 PM   #4
heybrad
Norm!!!

I'm about 2 hours north, but the Gas Lamp District has a ton of bars. One of them should have the game.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 01:41 PM   #5
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin
Hello fellow-FOFC'ers.

I just booked my flight for a trip to San Diego, arriving on the night of the 25th and leaving the morning of the 29th.

However, I've never been there.
Of import is finding a place that will be showing ESPN, specifically, the Maryland-Duke game on 1/26. So, where's a bar that two recent Masters grads can go, hang out, get great beer, and watch what will either be a great game or a dismal travesty. Either way, we're not the richest people on the face of the Earth (yet), but we want to have a good time.

Taking all suggestions for things we have to do in SD, places we have to go, and of course, the bar we should hit to watch our game.

~tk

I loved going to Yogi's when I was down there. It's by SDSU....

Other than that...not a lot I can tell you about.
Old 01-07-2005, 02:02 PM   #6
sportsfan13
H.S. Freshman Team

Clevbrownsfan used to live in San Diego. He could probably help you out with some great places to hit up....
sportsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 02:04 PM   #7
Radii
Head Coach

unrelated, but I wouldn't watch ESPN from noon to 2pm tomorrow terpkristin. UNC is going to make them look bad.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 02:19 PM   #8
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

She's goin back to Cali, to Cali, to Cali
She's goin back to Cali
I don't think so.
Her bikini, small
Heels, tall
She said she liked the ocean
We went to the beach
She gave me a peach
damnMikeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 04:26 PM   #9
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybrad
I'm about 2 hours north, but the Gas Lamp District has a ton of bars. One of them should have the game.
I second the GasLamp Quarter. There are plenty of bars. Some cozy, and some larger.
Old 01-07-2005, 04:43 PM   #10
JediKooter
Coordinator

terpkristin,

I live here in San Diego and there is a place (actualy I think 3 different ones) called Trophys. Good food, good beer, decent prices (my opinion on all 3) and they have several tvs all through the place. Ask one of the waiters or waitresses and they will change the channel for you to the game you want. There's also Seau's as well, food isnt bad, beer isnt bad and the prices about the same as Trophys. There's Mcgregors Grill & Ale house by the stadium and Sport City Cafe & Brewery in La Jolla. Seau's and Trophys are off interstate 8 and McGregors you have to take interestate 8 to get to it, well, depending on where you are staying. Sport City Cafe & brewery is in La Jolla off of interestate 5. The only one that would be a pain to find would be McGregors and I'm not sure how many tvs they have there. I've met some Padres there and also saw Sean Salisbury come in and offered him a beer, he declined the beer but sat down with us for about 20 minutes and talked football with him. Very nice guy. Anyway, those are the places that I can think of, there are some places in the downtown area, just dont know the availablity of tvs though.

Hope that helps

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 04:47 PM   #11
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:

What he said. The view, from this side at least, is great. San Deigo has beautiful people.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 05:02 PM   #12
AnalBumCover
College Starter

I'm afraid to ask... but what exactly IS a JediKooter?
Old 01-07-2005, 05:06 PM   #13
heybrad
Norm!!!

If you end up at Trophy's be sure to ask to talk to Lee "Hacksaw" Hamilton, because HE WANTS TO TALK SPORTS WITH YOU!

Only Socal folks should get that.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 05:54 PM   #14
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
If you end up at Trophy's be sure to ask to talk to Lee "Hacksaw" Hamilton, because HE WANTS TO TALK SPORTS WITH YOU!

*snicker*
Old 01-07-2005, 05:54 PM   #15
MrBug708
Head Coach

FEELING YOU!
Old 01-07-2005, 06:10 PM   #16
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalBumCover
I'm afraid to ask... but what exactly IS a JediKooter?

Long story short...............Think Star Wars and the Dukes of Hazard.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 09:04 PM   #17
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

All I know about San Diego. The optimal temperature for a human being is 72 degrees, which is the same temp San Diego has year round. Also have a pretty good zoo, from what I hear. And as bad as the football team has been, this year Lions fans would give Matt Millen's left, er, wristband to be in the Charger's position this year.
Bubba Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 09:35 PM   #18
hukarez
College Starter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter
There's Mcgregors Grill & Ale house by the stadium and Sport City Cafe & Brewery in La Jolla.
McGregor's. Good stuff.

EDIT: If you're going to the Gaslamp Quarter - don't drive. The traffic and congestion isn't worth the hassle. If you don't mind wandering about on foot (thing to do, really), park somewhere near Harbor Drive and check out the places - or take the trolley. Horton Plaza's your typical mall right in Downtown, haven't been there in ages though I think they've got some decent storse. I'd probably hit up any of the bars you'll find along the way.
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter

Last edited by hukarez : 01-07-2005 at 09:39 PM.
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 10:06 PM   #19
finkenst
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hukarez
McGregor's. Good stuff.

EDIT: If you're going to the Gaslamp Quarter - don't drive. The traffic and congestion isn't worth the hassle. If you don't mind wandering about on foot (thing to do, really), park somewhere near Harbor Drive and check out the places - or take the trolley. Horton Plaza's your typical mall right in Downtown, haven't been there in ages though I think they've got some decent storse. I'd probably hit up any of the bars you'll find along the way.

you obviously didn't see terpkristin's list of ankle surgeries in the other thread.
finkenst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 11:54 PM   #20
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Have fun, TK. I liked McGregor's when I was there, too. Be sure to look for my old ship, USS Nimitz. I don't know if it will be inport, though.
Old 01-08-2005, 01:21 AM   #21
Franklinnoble
Banned

Chicks dig Navy towns. I hate taking my wife to San Francisco when there's a ship in port.

I think I'm gonna hafta get me one of those white "Officer and a Gentlemen" uniforms.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 01:26 AM   #22
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Check out all the seaside spots like Sea World, and also old town SD. Oh and visit Occeanside. Its a nice resort town north of San Diego.
Old 01-08-2005, 01:30 AM   #23
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble
Chicks dig Navy towns. I hate taking my wife to San Francisco when there's a ship in port.

I think I'm gonna hafta get me one of those white "Officer and a Gentlemen" uniforms.

Hey man, pics pls.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 02:55 AM   #24
Runtheball
High School JV

I don't know if Oceanside would be in my list of top 1000 things to see and do in San Diego, but Point Loma and Harbor Island would be at the top. You'll get an awesome view of downtown and bring home lots of great pics.

There's also a little place called "Dream Girls", but I don't think they'll let you take pics there.
Beware the beast "Man", for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates he kills for sport, or lust, or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, for he is the harbinger of death.
-- The Lawgiver
Runtheball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 03:12 AM   #25
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runtheball
I don't know if Oceanside would be in my list of top 1000 things to see and do in San Diego, but Point Loma and Harbor Island would be at the top. You'll get an awesome view of downtown and bring home lots of great pics.

There's also a little place called "Dream Girls", but I don't think they'll let you take pics there.

Heh...I don't think Runtheball knows terpkristin's "secret".

I think I have been to Dream Girls. Not bad. Definitely won't let you take pictures there.

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 03:20 AM   #26
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by finkenst
you obviously didn't see terpkristin's list of ankle surgeries in the other thread.

Nope! Sure didn't.
tweet tweet twitter
Old 01-08-2005, 04:33 AM   #27
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:

...up and down the West Coast, from Baja to the Canadian Rockies....

He should still be voice of the Chargers. He may not have a face for TV, but he does have the perfect voice for the radio.
Antmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 04:38 AM   #28
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter
terpkristin,

I live here in San Diego and there is a place (actualy I think 3 different ones) called Trophys. Good food, good beer, decent prices (my opinion on all 3) and they have several tvs all through the place. Ask one of the waiters or waitresses and they will change the channel for you to the game you want. There's also Seau's as well, food isnt bad, beer isnt bad and the prices about the same as Trophys. There's Mcgregors Grill & Ale house by the stadium and Sport City Cafe & Brewery in La Jolla. Seau's and Trophys are off interstate 8 and McGregors you have to take interestate 8 to get to it, well, depending on where you are staying. Sport City Cafe & brewery is in La Jolla off of interestate 5. The only one that would be a pain to find would be McGregors and I'm not sure how many tvs they have there. I've met some Padres there and also saw Sean Salisbury come in and offered him a beer, he declined the beer but sat down with us for about 20 minutes and talked football with him. Very nice guy. Anyway, those are the places that I can think of, there are some places in the downtown area, just dont know the availablity of tvs though.

Hope that helps

By the way, I second Trophy's. It is a great place to take the entire family if you have one. Unique place, good eye candy. You could also try Hooters if you are single or if you're girl doesn't mind that type of thing. Lots and lots of eye candy, plenty of televisions. However you would have to get there early because the place will be packed. I somewhat miss San Diego. However I don't miss the traffic and outrageous real estate rates. But the weather is mighty fine. Go Chargers!!!

Last edited by Antmeister : 01-08-2005 at 04:39 AM.
Old 01-08-2005, 10:18 AM   #29
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks so far for the suggestions,and keep 'em coming.
I'm not a type of girl who minds Hooters, but I'd much rather experience the local stuff than go to a national chain.

~tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 12:48 PM   #30
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin
Thanks so far for the suggestions,and keep 'em coming.
I'm not a type of girl who minds Hooters, but I'd much rather experience the local stuff than go to a national chain.

~tk
If you're looking for a few good coffeehouses that aren't StarBucks, you'd probably want to try 'The Living Room' by SDSU. There's a couple of other good ones, like the Kensington Coffeehouse in the classier area of North Park, as well as Extraordinary Desserts off of University (outdoor heating, big plus since it's been a bit in the low 50s, high 40s at night here). They have some other places around in SD, but by SDSU is also Rogelio if you're in the mood for good Carne Asada Fries. Or, if you're in the mood for Chinese food, the best Chinese food in the area would be at Coronado, the "Mandarin Cafe". Family operated, very good food. You'll find other places on the strip in Coronado also, plus the white sand beaches are right next door to the restaurant.
tweet tweet twitter

Last edited by hukarez : 01-08-2005 at 12:50 PM.
Old 01-08-2005, 12:56 PM   #31
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii
unrelated, but I wouldn't watch ESPN from noon to 2pm tomorrow terpkristin. UNC is going to make them look bad.

Teehee. I'd say I'm sorry, but I'd be lying
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 01:07 PM   #32
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:

ROFL!! OMG, that just brought back some lovely memories... TEMECULA! OCEANSIDE! ENCINITAS! CARLSBAD! I WANNA TALK SPORTS WITH YOU! I love Hacksaw. And believe it or not, I actually miss him
Remember his racist comments?
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 01:11 PM   #33
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerchick
Remember his racist comments?

To follow that up, remember when they used to advertise someone's response to his racist comments on the show to make fun of him. Brilliant advertising.
Old 01-08-2005, 01:15 PM   #34
Lorena
Unregistered

OH, by the way, here's a few links:

Bars
Sign On San Diego

Good luck, I loved my stay in San Diego, but I agree with everything Antmeister said. Have fun!!

Lorena
Old 01-08-2005, 01:22 PM   #35
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antmeister71
To follow that up, remember when they used to advertise someone's response to his racist comments on the show to make fun of him. Brilliant advertising.

Best 15 minutes of sports!! Half of his info was incorrect anyway. Gimme the Werndl Wire over those "Best 15 Minutes" anyday!!

Hey Kristin, make sure you listen to this brilliant man on XTRA Sports 690/1110:

Hacksaw 3-7pm Pacific. He loves the ladies He might even have the special ladies line.

Oh yeah, best Chargers announcer BAR NONE!!

Last edited by Lorena : 01-08-2005 at 01:23 PM.