Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-30-2004, 11:31 PM   #1
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I don't know - there IS a time limit for you to conquer the provinces and Rome...but it's pretty generous.

as far as I know - and I'm really disappointed in this - you can't name your offspring.
boats are there - can't recall the research tree path to get it. maybe just a harbor?

Draft Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 11:33 PM   #2
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

no idea how you got destroyed. that's...weird. unless your faction leader was wiped out before any of the kids reached "coming of age" but that shouldn't happen because you start with more than one person "of age." I've never heard of that happening. As for ships, you have to build them (usually makes sense to build at least one early, so you can carry out all the blockades the Senate asks you to). Can't choose the names of your offspring, you're stuck with them (although I suppose you could mod the names file, I'm not sure how you'd do that though).

With regards to patching/modding...there isn't a patch from CA out yet, it's coming out mid-January. I've been using the Rome:Total Realism mod (www.twcenter.net is a good place to dig into the game and the various mods) along with the unified rome mod and I find it to be MUCH more historically accurate.

No idea how you got destoyed...that's really weird.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 11:34 PM   #3
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Rome: Total What the Hell

Ok, I got this game for Christmas - fired it up today and let er rip. I was doing pretty good. I had Rome and three more cities around the area. I was breeding and winning and I liked it. Then all of a sudden I get a message saying : Your faction has been destroyed - thanks for playing - adios. Just like that, all that I did was ended. Anyone know why this was?

Also 2 more questions:

Can I choose the names of my offspring?
How do I get a ship? I couldn't find it anywhere.

Thanks

I have yet to patch if you think that matters.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand

Last edited by Senator : 12-30-2004 at 11:34 PM.
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 11:35 PM   #4
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
I don't know - there IS a time limit for you to conquer the provinces and Rome...but it's pretty generous.

as far as I know - and I'm really disappointed in this - you can't name your offspring.
boats are there - can't recall the research tree path to get it. maybe just a harbor?

the time limit is up in like...140 AD or something, so it shouldn't be that. and as for naming your offspring, you'd have to mod the names file and then just take whatever pops up randomly. boats you need a harbor and also i believe a carpenter at least to build biremes.
Old 12-31-2004, 12:03 AM   #5
vex
Grizzled Veteran

I also just got the game for Christmas, and from what I've experienced(same thing ), and read, it was that your faction leader got killed without having anyone else of age to replace him.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 12:11 AM   #6
Senator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexroid
I also just got the game for Christmas, and from what I've experienced(same thing ), and read, it was that your faction leader got killed without having anyone else of age to replace him.

The oldest of the three brothers was the faction leader. He was safe and sound in Rome with loads of men around him. (About 400) There was never a battle. Behind him were 2 brothers, 1 adopted general, and 4 boys that had just come to age. At least I should have seen a battle, correct? I think this glitched me.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Old 12-31-2004, 12:12 AM   #7
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

BTW, best thread title ever.
Old 12-31-2004, 02:03 AM   #8
vex
Grizzled Veteran

I also have a question, not quite worth an entire thread, so here's my question, the Senate has demanded the Suicide of my faction leader. And if I don't follow the request/order, then I will be "outlawed", what exactly does being outlawed consist of? Thanks.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 02:38 PM   #9
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

It means that you will officially kick off the Civil war. The senate will declare war, and the other factions will follow suit.

Which means it's time to march on Rome.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 09:03 PM   #10
cuervo72
Head Coach

Senator - I just now had the same thing happen. I was in ~ 250 BC I think, playing the prologue. I suck, so I still haven't taken all the territories I need. I have a faction head who is 51, and an heir the same age, along with a few others. One of the daughters just married. I end turn, and all of a sudden it says we're wiped out. My capital now shows the faction head (governor), the adoptee, and another guy, who I have no idea who he is. I don't get a chance to read the updates, as it asks me if I want to continue, I click the check, and the game goes back to the title screen.

Not a very happy turn of events there.
Old 01-01-2005, 10:16 PM   #11
Senator

That's it! Same deal exactly. I haven't started another one since.

Old 01-01-2005, 11:11 PM   #12
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

weird. you guys MIGHT try getting in touch with CA or checking some other boards cuz I don't know what that could be other than every member of your family who is eligible to take over being wiped out.
Old 01-02-2005, 01:08 AM   #13
cuervo72
Head Coach

Actually, I may have a clue to this. I reloaded an old game, and it happened again with a male coming of age. I *believe* that the name of said lad was the same as my original faction leader (though I could be wrong), maybe there was something about that it didn't like.

In any event, I tried loading the autosave, and it picked up on the same turn of the crash - basically right where I'd left off. So I managed to keep going, just with a little nuisance involved.
Old 01-02-2005, 02:53 AM   #14
Senator

I just started over with an Imperial Campaign and so far all is ok.

Old 01-02-2005, 10:56 AM   #15
sabotai
General Manager

If you guys were playing the Prologue, that might have been the problem. The Prologue, as far as I know, is only meant to be a tutorial to show you how to play the game.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 03:00 PM   #16
cuervo72
Head Coach

Yeah, well, I still haven't met the victory conditions of the prologue.... (I don't get to play much).
Old 01-02-2005, 08:22 PM   #17
Senator

How many girls can my family have????

Well, the age of the Julii family is almost spent. The girls have splintered off a whole new batch of boys with different last names.

Old 01-02-2005, 08:32 PM   #18
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

yeah. Damn all those girls. Had that happen to me. It's especially great when you get 50 year old guys going after your 20 year old girls...it's like "eww...go away. you're too old to even have one kid."

there was one girl who I never got married-off, and eventually a message popped up saying that she was basically "retiring to lead the life of a spinster" although it didn't use the word spinster, I forget what it actually said.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:25 AM   #19
cuervo72
Head Coach

I have a lot of girls too (still in the prologue...), and though married, a number of them have not had kids and are getting up there in age...
Old 01-03-2005, 09:18 AM   #20
Senator

I told my wife I was going to send my next two (game) sons to spend their days at a whorehouse instead of on the field of battle. I kept sighing when another girl would be born.

She politely told me I was taking it all too serious.