Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-02-2005, 09:39 PM   #1
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

FOF2k4: Balance Sheet bug?

Wondering if anyone else has noticed balance sheets not computing properly for computer-teams. I'm engaged in a career where I'm trying to play strictly with regards to financing (ie...taking over teams that are financially out of it and resurrecting them) and looking through the balance sheets after having rescued Cleveland I'm finding weird things. For instance Baltimore went from -26 million to +22 million, yet their trend % is 0. From looking further, it looks like this is just affecting teams that go from negative cashflow the previous year to positive this year (and not the other way around) or that are in the cashflow negative side of the ledger both years (doesn't seem to matter if they loose more one year or the other though).

DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 01:19 AM   #2
Pyser
Pro Rookie

i dont think thats a bug. i think its just math.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 01:38 AM   #3
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

is it? cuz if the balance grows from say a negative 5 million to a positive 5 million, that's not a 0% change. I would think it should be represented as...an actual change.

Unless i'm just the dumbest math-person alive (very possible).
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 02:22 AM   #4
SackAttack
Head Coach

me fail math?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 03:47 AM   #5
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

Answering the instant question, FOF computes change based on percentage in the same direction. So a swing from profit to loss (or the other way) would be like dividing by zero - it confuses the computer and wouldn't make much sense any way you tried to do it.

End substantive comment. Begin rant.

You know, Jim has had this "balance sheet" since FOF Classic. IT IS NOT A BALANCE SHEET! IT IS AN INCOME STATEMENT! I've told him this, more than once, but he hasn't done anything about it. Ever. I rant not because it matters much, but because it seems like such an easy fix.

Thank you. I feel better now.
Honolulu Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 08:29 AM   #6
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
is it? cuz if the balance grows from say a negative 5 million to a positive 5 million, that's not a 0% change. I would think it should be represented as...an actual change.

Unless i'm just the dumbest math-person alive (very possible).

the formula for % change is Change divided by beginning value. When they are both positive it is easy. 5 million to 10 million is a 100% increase. 5 million/5 million.

When the base is a negative number, you get some funny rusults. negative 5 million to 5 million is a 10 million increase, but the base is -5 million. Theerfore it is -200% change. Therefore, Jim must have defaulted to 0% change if the previous year is negative.

Todd