Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-02-2005, 06:53 AM   #1
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

FOF2K4: One-year wonders?

I'm curious as to others' opinions on this matter. Do you think (or has Jim ever said) that there's a hidden "streak" or "consistency" sort of rating or factor that will cause a guy to perform well above his ratings for just a season? Look at this guy, for example:

Parrish played behind pretty much same offensive line in 2012 and 2013, had pretty much identical ratings, and I used an identical offensive game plan, yet by midseason of 2013, he had made his way to the inactive list. He wasn't injured in either season, either. Was this just blind luck, or something else? What's also interesting is that in early 2013, he looked even better than in 2012; in his first two games, he averaged 5.77 ypd, then he went completely in the toilet from then on, averaging 3.25 yards per carry the rest of the way.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 01-02-2005 at 06:54 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 07:00 AM   #2
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Looks like he showed some flashes of brilliance in 2011.. which is why you signed him.

Maybe it's that damn astroturf that broke him down so fast :P
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 07:02 AM   #3
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragone
Looks like he showed some flashes of brilliance in 2011.. which is why you signed him.

Maybe it's that damn astroturf that broke him down so fast :P
Well, I signed him to be one part of a running-back-by-committee approach in the season that I cut a high-priced starter. He latched onto the starting role early in the season with 41 carries for 181 yards in the first two games, and never looked back. He was held to <50 yards only twice all season, had 10 games of >70 yards, and four of >100.

I'm building a grass stadium right now. It'll be done in 2017.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 01-02-2005 at 07:06 AM.
Old 01-02-2005, 07:08 AM   #4
Ragone
Pro Rookie

any fluxuation in cohesion? offensive line skill?
Old 01-02-2005, 07:22 AM   #5
Ben E Lou

The o-line had better cohesion and skill in 2013 than in 2012. Two of the five starters had small increases from 2012-2013 (55/55-->56/56 and 85/85-->87/87), and one had a nice jump in current ratings (younger guy: 40/58-->57/59). It was the same starting group, no major injuries to the o-line either year and we averaged 4.34 ypc overall in 2013, even with Parrish pulling down the average. (It was 4.59 in 2012.)

Here are the linemen and how many starts they got over those two seasons:

C Jackie Hoover: 32 starts
RG Johnnie Henderson: 31 starts
LG Rodney Jeffries: 32 starts
RT Henry Price: 23 starts--but his backup ended up with a better KRB percentage than he did when he missed 9 starts in 2013: 48.0 as opposed to 35.1
LT Maurice Levens: 31 starts

Considering that the o-line seemed to perform a little better in the latter year, it certainly leads me to think it was something to do with Parrish.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 01-02-2005 at 07:23 AM.
Old 01-02-2005, 07:25 AM   #6
Ben E Lou

Oh...here's a pretty stunning statistic: the o-line only allowed 11 sacks in all of 2013.
Old 01-02-2005, 08:23 AM   #7
Ragone
Pro Rookie

I'm Doing my first ever game under the house arrest rules you layed out right now Skydog.. should be entertaining .. one question though.. Gm firing on or off

Last edited by Ragone : 01-02-2005 at 08:27 AM.
Old 01-02-2005, 04:06 PM   #8
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Dola, after my first year.. i Drafted a qb who is quite honestly the best player i've ever seen generated was 38/95 before training camp and like 41/94 after..

Of course, as bad as my team is.. he's going to be running for his life quite a bit... good thing he has that 4.5 speed
Old 01-02-2005, 04:29 PM   #9
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Will all those extra carries, it looks like he may have played more passing downs. I find that (like you'd expect in real life) my RB's get a nice boost to YPC if they play in passing situations.
Old 01-02-2005, 04:31 PM   #10
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Had he the same attempts in 2013 as 2012, I bet you it would have been pretty close. No way to tell now, though. I will just sit here in this Atlanta bar with my friends and question why this GM wouldn't let the kid run the ball?
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 04:34 PM   #11
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator
I will just sit here in this Atlanta bar with my friends and question why this GM wouldn't let the kid run the ball?
'Cause Austin Kimble averaged 4.78 yards per carry and scored 8 TD's. That's why.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 01-02-2005 at 04:35 PM.
Old 01-02-2005, 04:41 PM   #12
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I think that there are enough factors that go into a running back's performance that a year like the one you listed above need not be the result of a "streak" rating. I'm not saying that one does not exist, but that many things can go into it.

If you had a better passing game, the AI may have been playing more zone against you. You were also playing different teams in the two years.

If I had to bet, I would say that luck and coincidence had more to do with 2012 than hidden ratings.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 08:18 PM   #13
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
'Cause Austin Kimble averaged 4.78 yards per carry and scored 8 TD's. That's why.

Parrish would have pushed that average back up. I mean, c'mon - the games he played were against better teams. Kimble played the downhill schedule, I mean, I could have had 4.78 yards a carry. Admit it - you got nervous and tossed this kids loyalty to the wind. He was proven, and you threw it away! My season tickets ARE WORTHLESS!

(Monday morning quarterbacking is so fun)
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand

Last edited by Senator : 01-02-2005 at 08:20 PM.
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 08:19 PM   #14
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
one-year wonders?

Joe Teeters.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote