Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-01-2005, 04:18 AM   #1
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Worst New years ever

Where can i even begin..

Day started off alright, met this woman i had been talking with via friends and had a nice lunch.. left there, and decided to hit mcdonalds for a chocolate shake.. This is where it goes down hill

Now when i get to mcdonalds.. the drive thru is packed so i decide going in for a chocolate shake would be quicker.. well not today, as anyone who lives in kc knows a Northland Mcdonalds had a hostage situation today around 1... The one and the same one i decided to go to. This clearly was the most terrifying experience i have ever had. Apparently, this man was only interested in his ex-wife who worked there, as everyone else was ordered out of the building.. which nobody argued with.. that i can tell you..

Hour later they let me leave, obviously shaken, but not nearly as bad as some of the kids who worked there. I dunno about you guys, But i think i'd be quitting on the spot.

hxxp://www.thekansascitychannel.com/news/4038593/detail.html

edit:fixed link

Last edited by Ragone : 01-01-2005 at 04:38 AM.
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 04:31 AM   #2
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Glad you weren't hurt, Ragone, although, so you know, your link didn't work for me, so I don't know much about the story behind all of this.

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 05:01 AM   #3
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

Well, Happy New Year! May 2005 be a better year for you...

Glad you're ok... Damn.
Old 01-01-2005, 05:02 AM   #4
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

So is she cute? At least now you have something to talk about...
Old 01-01-2005, 07:07 AM   #5
cougarfreak
College Starter

Geeze, glad you made it out of there.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 09:31 AM   #6
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Another good reason to allow concealed weapon's permits in much greater numbers than exist. As the sign says in Ohio, "4 out of 5 robbers prefer unarmed victims." I know this wasn't a robbery, but may be even worse. Danger was obviously the same.
Bubba Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 09:44 AM   #7
kcchief19
Pro Starter

I'm glad you're OK, Rags. That was a horrible episode. Mrs. kcchief works at the mall, and the only thing they suffered was a slowdown in business. One of the girls who works for her has a husband on the KCPD and he told her about 2:30 that the police were certain this man could not be talked down and was going to harm the woman, so they were just waiting for him to let go of her and get a few feet way so the snipers could get a shot.

Based on the coverage I saw last night, I think McDonald's really shafted their employees. Channel 5 said they were all gathered by a company representative and told they would be fired if they talked to the media. Nice way to say thanks for not getting yourself shot at a minimum wage job. When they finally let them go, channel 5 went rushing up to one of the workers and you could tell she had a mixture of terror from the incident and terror about being fired. Her mom was trying to hug her and she kept saying, "We're not allowed to talk about it."

Glad you're OK. At least the rest of the day went better with Louisville pulling out the win.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 11:21 AM   #8
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Wheels
Another good reason to allow concealed weapon's permits in much greater numbers than exist. As the sign says in Ohio, "4 out of 5 robbers prefer unarmed victims." I know this wasn't a robbery, but may be even worse. Danger was obviously the same.

I'm sorry.. if people had concealed weapons in this situation.. alot more innocent people would have been hurt or killed.. everyone thinks they are freaking rambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCCHIEF19
Based on the coverage I saw last night, I think McDonald's really shafted their employees. Channel 5 said they were all gathered by a company representative and told they would be fired if they talked to the media. Nice way to say thanks for not getting yourself shot at a minimum wage job. When they finally let them go, channel 5 went rushing up to one of the workers and you could tell she had a mixture of terror from the incident and terror about being fired. Her mom was trying to hug her and she kept saying, "We're not allowed to talk about it."

Yea, Channel 5 asked me if i wanted to be on tv.. my response was made to make sure i didn't get on tv "f that, i just wanna go f'n home" seriously, what kinda thought process is that.. people just had a life threatning experience, and news people think the immediate reaction is to get in front of a camera and act like some kinda hero.. trailer park journalism, no we didn't see elvis and a alien didn't order a happy meal

Last edited by Ragone : 01-01-2005 at 11:25 AM.
Old 01-01-2005, 11:22 AM   #9
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Worst New years ever

Sorry dude, I just got my final divorce papers in the mail Thursday, ending an 11 year relationship and a 6 year marriage.

WORST New Years ever.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 12:11 PM   #10
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst2112
Sorry dude, I just got my final divorce papers in the mail Thursday, ending an 11 year relationship and a 6 year marriage.

WORST New Years ever.

Well, at least your ex will have a happy new year.

Sorry, I had to. His is worse. If she had shot you, stabbed you, killed the kids, fed you your dog roasted with cranberries... then you would win. Get over it and look at it this way: She's a bitch that you're better off without. Go get a woman who is younger, thinner, and better looking. She'll love that!
Old 01-01-2005, 12:20 PM   #11
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

JESUS! That's horrible! I feel for you Ragone!
Old 01-01-2005, 01:10 PM   #12
JeffNights
College Prospect

Thats awful Ragone, glad to hear everybody made it out unscathed.

However, not at all CCW are "rambo"....most have good training in use of firearms.
JeffNights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 01:11 PM   #13
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffNights
Thats awful Ragone, glad to hear everybody made it out unscathed.

However, not at all CCW are "rambo"....most have good training in use of firearms.

Maybe everyone was a bad choice of words.. but still, you gotta agree someone else likely would have been hurt if someone else pulled a gun
Old 01-01-2005, 01:20 PM   #14
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Glad you're allright.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 01:24 PM   #15
JeffNights
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragone
Maybe everyone was a bad choice of words.. but still, you gotta agree someone else likely would have been hurt if someone else pulled a gun

Ragone, i'll admit that IF YOU admit it depends GREATLY on the CCW holder who has pulled the gun.
Old 01-01-2005, 01:25 PM   #16
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Happy that you are ok. Look on the bright side youre ok. Now go and relax and call family and friends.
Old 01-01-2005, 01:28 PM   #17
JeffNights
College Prospect

Ragone, my bad. This thread is about you being ok, not a debate over gun owners.

Anywys, yeah take Chemical soldiers advice and call friends and family, oh but dont forget to embellish a bit
Old 01-01-2005, 01:29 PM   #18
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffNights
Ragone, i'll admit that IF YOU admit it depends GREATLY on the CCW holder who has pulled the gun.

True, but everytime someone else pulls a gun, the greater the chance that someone else is going to be hurt. I just don't like the fact that a robbery/hostage situtation can turn into a warzone.

In a perfect world, the only people with guns would be police, military,recreational hunters.. but its obviously not a perfect world, and while i understand the need people feel to be able to ccw.. would you feel the least bit silly to be packing going into mcdonalds (what happened to me excluded)

I really don't mind the debate.. its good to keep my mind off it

Last edited by Ragone : 01-01-2005 at 01:30 PM.
Old 01-01-2005, 01:37 PM   #19
JeffNights
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragone
True, but everytime someone else pulls a gun, the greater the chance that someone else is going to be hurt. I just don't like the fact that a robbery/hostage situtation can turn into a warzone.

In a perfect world, the only people with guns would be police, military,recreational hunters.. but its obviously not a perfect world, and while i understand the need people feel to be able to ccw.. would you feel the least bit silly to be packing going into mcdonalds (what happened to me excluded)

I really don't mind the debate.. its good to keep my mind off it

Good question. Well honestly i dont feel the least bit silly packing anywhere. As criminals know no out of bounds so to speak. that being said, i generally carry when going to the ATM for a large withdrawl,or going to some friends that live in pretty rough neighborhoods where "carjacking" is definately a threat.

On occasion, i carry when i grocery shop, jog at night..etc.etc.
Old 01-01-2005, 02:19 PM   #20
Desnudo
Coordinator

Why is it these things never happen in a Burger King?
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 03:16 PM   #21
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo
Why is it these things never happen in a Burger King?

Because even criminals have standards?

I'm inclined to agree with Ragone on the question of whether carrying concealed in this situation would have been a good thing, but not because a concealed weapon holder would turn the thing into a shooting match. I'd be MUCH more worried that the presence of another weapon would turn the gunman from someone who knows they have the upper hand to someone who has to PROVE they have the upper hand. I do believe the chance of innocents being injured/killed would go up if someone inside the restaurant is carrying, but NOT due to any action on the part of the person with the license to carry.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 05:10 PM   #22
SnowMan
High School Varsity

To the other extreme, if EVERYONE was packing (and the bad guys knew it), would crimes like this still happen?
SnowMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 07:20 PM   #23
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Not to threadjack, but I just had something bad happen too. I took a nap for about an hour, and I woke up to discover that my wedding ring is missing. I looked all over the bedroom with no luck. Looked all over the house with no luck. I'm not sure when it might have fallen off. I've lost about 10-15 pounds over the past few months so it was a little looser, but still not "loose" where it should have fallen off so easily. I'm afraid it might have slipped off in the shower today and fallen down the drain as I can't imagine that I would have lost it before today and not noticed.

I don't think Ms. Eaglesfan is going to be too mad as it was an accident, and we place much more value on our relationship than any of the surrounding pagentry of marriage, but it is still a disappointing thing to have happen on New Year's Day.

Edit: It also feels very wierd to have a bare ring finger for the first time in 5 1/2 years.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 01-01-2005 at 07:21 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 07:46 PM   #24
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
Not to threadjack, but I just had something bad happen too. I took a nap for about an hour, and I woke up to discover that my wedding ring is missing. I looked all over the bedroom with no luck. Looked all over the house with no luck. I'm not sure when it might have fallen off. I've lost about 10-15 pounds over the past few months so it was a little looser, but still not "loose" where it should have fallen off so easily. I'm afraid it might have slipped off in the shower today and fallen down the drain as I can't imagine that I would have lost it before today and not noticed.

I don't think Ms. Eaglesfan is going to be too mad as it was an accident, and we place much more value on our relationship than any of the surrounding pagentry of marriage, but it is still a disappointing thing to have happen on New Year's Day.

Edit: It also feels very wierd to have a bare ring finger for the first time in 5 1/2 years.

Do any surgery lately?

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 08:15 PM   #25
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor
Do any surgery lately?

ROFL

Not since I was a 3rd medical student 6 years ago
Old 01-01-2005, 08:55 PM   #26
kcchief19
Pro Starter

I'm not sure what would have happened in this case if a CCW carrier had been in the McDonalds. The guy came to see his wife in the morning and they wouldn't let him see her, so he went and got his gun and came back. I think that's one of the clues that made the police believe this guy was serious about not giving up and was a threat. If someone had a pulled a gun on him, what might have happened?

If someone else pulled a gun and shot first, someone innocent -- like Ragone -- might have been hurt. Police officers get a hell of a lot more training than 99 percent of the average gun owners and they don't have a perfect shot in crisis situations like that. Having someone else pull a guy might have caused this situtation to get out of hand. There are a lot of bad things that can happen when a member of the general public takes the law into their own hands.

The best possible resolution was to have the police take care of it, which they did and did well in this case.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 09:54 PM   #27
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19
I'm not sure what would have happened in this case if a CCW carrier had been in the McDonalds. The guy came to see his wife in the morning and they wouldn't let him see her, so he went and got his gun and came back. I think that's one of the clues that made the police believe this guy was serious about not giving up and was a threat. If someone had a pulled a gun on him, what might have happened?

If someone else pulled a gun and shot first, someone innocent -- like Ragone -- might have been hurt. Police officers get a hell of a lot more training than 99 percent of the average gun owners and they don't have a perfect shot in crisis situations like that. Having someone else pull a guy might have caused this situtation to get out of hand. There are a lot of bad things that can happen when a member of the general public takes the law into their own hands.

The best possible resolution was to have the police take care of it, which they did and did well in this case.

I agree 100%. I'm really glad Ragone and everyone else made it out ok.
Old 01-01-2005, 10:04 PM   #28
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27

That stinks, I hope you find it. I take mine off when I play golf, but it feels kind of weird at first. I'm always checking my pocket to make sure it's still there.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 10:09 PM   #29
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Sorry, didn't mean to turn this into a CCW debate, glad your alright Ragone. Just this coupled with a story in Detroit is burning me up. Guy from Lebenon, lives in Dearborn, found shot to death next to an open safe in his car repair shop that he opened at 8am in East side of Detroit. Guy supported 6 family members back in Lebenon. Fact that the safe was open means he complied and the bastard(s) shot him anyway. Just happening too often now, like all the time. Carjackers are just shooting first before even saying anything. Just gone too far, all of it. End of speech.
Bubba Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 10:09 PM   #30
JeffNights
College Prospect

What would have happened? i dont know.

All i know if i was there, there woulda been a nice double-tap in Bad Guy's upper sternum.

Last edited by JeffNights : 01-01-2005 at 10:10 PM.
Old 01-01-2005, 10:12 PM   #31
JeffNights
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Wheels
Sorry, didn't mean to turn this into a CCW debate, glad your alright Ragone. Just this coupled with a story in Detroit is burning me up. Guy from Lebenon, lives in Dearborn, found shot to death next to an open safe in his car repair shop that he opened at 8am in East side of Detroit. Guy supported 6 family members back in Lebenon. Fact that the safe was open means he complied and the bastard(s) shot him anyway. Just happening too often now, like all the time. Carjackers are just shooting first before even saying anything. Just gone too far, all of it. End of speech.

Bubba, believe me i know how you feel. I work out of Detorit and in it every day, and of course have to drive through the not some of the nicest residential side streets to get to freeway on my way home. My Smith is in my hip, unbuckled, and i'm looking left and right at every corner.
Old 01-02-2005, 02:30 PM   #32
JeeberD
General Manager

Yeesh, glad to hear that you're OK, Ragone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkspr
Because even criminals have standards?

Excuse me?

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote