Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-02-2001, 04:37 AM   #1
Cdr Vimes
n00b

Question Calling your own plays?

Anyone call their own plays during simulated games? From what I get - most people spend most of their time in the draft/free agent/assembly of team preparations and then sim a season in about 10 minutes.

I was just curious if calling your own plays is a good idea (as long as you have a decent coach that is).

Cdr Vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2001, 02:01 PM   #2
ibdb
n00b

When I first played FOF2, I called plays some of the time. I've never called plays in FOF2K1. I enjoy the behind the play setup of the game more than the actual play calling. Plus, it's slow, and I think more in terms of seasons and careers than in terms of individual games.

Another consideration is that play calling can give you an even bigger advantage over the computer AI than you already have, and may take away some of the challenge of the game.

------------------
Proudly lowering the curve in fantasy leagues across America
Old 04-03-2001, 02:48 AM   #3
Cdr Vimes
n00b

Thanks ibdbibdbdbdibd

Sorry - I didn't know when to stop.

Yeah - I enjoy the team building aspect of the game rather than the actual play calling. Sometimes I watch my games, but most times I don't. I usually have a coach that is decent in play calling, but he still makes some dumb calls. I guess it's better to not watch.

Thanks again for the input. I'll leave that play calling crap to the coach.
Cdr Vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2001, 04:09 PM   #4
Darkiller
FOF2 Guy

Well it takes me about a full two days -and doing nothing but FOF- to play a season.

so yes I actually spend a lot of time on the draft board, as well as building the roster but it takes me even longer playing the season since I follow each and every play of every game, taking notes on my book and adjusting from one week to another.

Also, to answer your question, I call my own plays when crunch time comes and the situation is risky and I don't want my coach to call a punt on 4th and 2 with 34 seconds left...
- Chairman of the IHOF Hall of Fame
- Athletic Director of the Brigham Young Cougars in TCY
FOF Legend: Hall of Fame QB Brock Sheriff #5, one of the most popular player in Front Office Football history.
Darkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2001, 02:16 PM   #5
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Cdr Vimes:
Anyone call their own plays during simulated games?

I do, although I'm not sure that I don't hurt the team as much as help it since play-calling ability is one of the primary attributes I look at when choosing a head coach, more so than player development even.

Typically I'll call at least a few offensive plays in every game, usually to accomplish any of several goals. For example, giving a carry or two to some #3 RB or #2 FB, maybe targeting a low depth chart receiver to get his first catch of the year, etc. I'll also stick a 3rd string QB in to sneak for a couple of plays in a blowout, hoping to avoid some freak injury to my starter before the playoffs.

The other thing I'm prone to doing is lobbing late passes/giving a few extra carries to someone on the verge of a team record late in the season, especially if it's a guy who's been with me for years & might be looking at retirement in the off-season. Sort of a reward for their devoted service, which doesn't seem all that unrealistic to me.

Jon