Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-15-2001, 08:54 PM   #1
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Post Thoughts on "willingness to use injured players" setting

I usually set mine to 50. I'd be interested in hearing some of the veterans' opinions.

Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2001, 08:58 PM   #2
Daimyo
College Starter

I used to leave mine at 50, however I got tired of getting plagued by injuries every year. I started setting it at either 30 or 35 (depending on how much depth I have overall) and I have been extremely happy with it. It is annoying when a star player leaves the game early and does not return (due to the low setting), but its MUCH more annoying to me when they try to keep playing, injure themselves badly, miss the rest of the season, and take a huge drop in the ratings. I almost never get season-ending injuries with 30...
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2001, 03:15 AM   #3
Alf
Pro Starter

Smile

I usually have it at 25 and it fits my team pretty well.

------------------

Alf
Old 02-16-2001, 05:36 AM   #4
Kosta
High School Varsity

35 and no problems.
Old 02-16-2001, 08:10 AM   #5
ibdb
n00b

Depends on where I am in the season and standings. Early season, I set it lower (25 - 35). Late season or post season I'll bump it up to ensure that my best players, if they're a little dinged up, stay on the field.

If I've got a young team that I'm building toward the future, I'll leave it lower than with a veteran team that needs to win now.

------------------
The city of Houston was named after Sam, not Dean.
Old 02-16-2001, 06:04 PM   #6
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

One more thought: If a coach has an excellent rating in "avoid injury", you might set your "willingness to use injured players" at a higher level. If your coach is only "fair" or "good" at "avoid injury", it might best to keep the willingness level at a lower setting.

I wonder if there is any correlation between the two. Does anyone have any observations on this?
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2001, 11:02 PM   #7
FishFan
College Prospect

I always keep mine kind of high (65-75) and have never had a "real" problem with injuries. Of course, I have had key injuries before, but that's just part of the game. These guys are football players - they should be able to, and want to, play hurt. Unless of course, they are Deion Sanders.
FishFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2001, 07:55 AM   #8
TheRoyalOne

I have to say I usually have more problems with injuries when the setting is low. It doesn't make a lot of sense but that is what I usually notice. Just make sure that if nothing else, you don't set it too low or your starters just won't play.
Old 02-18-2001, 03:43 AM   #9
TheDawgsAreOut
H.S. Freshman Team

I used to set mine at 55, but after reading this thread I tried it at 35, and I think it's helped. Because my only goal in pre-season is avoiding injuries (and thank goodness there is no preseason in college football, and thus TCY), I have been using a setting of 1 in pre-season, and upping to 55 for the post-season. By the way, Vic, why on earth would someone have a coach who wasn't at least VG in avoid injury?

------------------
The best damn announcer the fake FOFL has ever seen! Check out my cd "Who cares who let them out, I know they're out!" in stores everywhere next month.
Old 02-18-2001, 04:22 PM   #10
Axxon
Pro Starter

I've had the same experience with low settings, TRO. I've tried to come up with a reasonable explanation for it but really don't have a great one. About the best I can figure is that the game checks periodically and removes those injured players that fall below the tolerance based on your setting and puts in someone else.

My guess is that it doesn't take into account the injury level of the guy it puts in. How else can you explain long term injury guys not even in the game plan still playing and becoming injured very long term like MY FIRST ROUND DRAFT CHOICE CB WAS, EVEN THOUGH HE HAD A BROKEN FREAKIN LEG, CAUSING HIM TO RETIRE AT THE END OF THE SEASON ...AAAARRGGGGHHHHHH!!!? *AHEM, but I digress.

In conclusion, if you have a couple of guys with injuries at the same position and one is nicked while the other is more serious, a low setting will alternate them frequently greatly increasing the risk that one of them will reinjure himself badly. A higher setting will let the guy who started and presumably is the healthier player stay in the game longer but of course if his injuries rise too high, number two comes in anyway.

This is only a guess, of course but since I raised my number to a nice even and exceptional 44 I've seen a real improvemnt with my long term injury situation.
Old 02-21-2001, 12:50 PM   #11
B & B

Depends on where I am in the season and standings. Early in the preseason, I set it to 25. Late critical games in the regular season or post season I'll bump it up to 50-55 and ensure that my best players, if they're a little banged up, stay out there. I also have a tendency to keep players with potential longer than veterans who are on the decline.